Old 03-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
Chris4943
Human being with feelings

Default How to connect Xenxy 1202 to computer?

I have a Xenxy 1202 without the USB option.

Can I use one of those cheap USB dongles to plug it into my computer?

Do those things have a 2 channel mic input? Cause the Xenyx will have 2 channels right?
Old 03-14-2016, 03:39 AM   #2
cutnpaste
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris4943 View Post
I have a Xenxy 1202 without the USB option.

Can I use one of those cheap USB dongles to plug it into my computer?

Do those things have a 2 channel mic input? Cause the Xenyx will have 2 channels right?

Just curious, in your signature a Tascam 16x08 is listed. So why connect the 1202.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
Chris4943

I used to lug around the 16x08 as part of a massive mobile podcast rig. The 1202 would be more portable while the 16x08 stays at home as a dedicated studio rig.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
I used to lug around the 16x08 as part of a massive mobile podcast rig. The 1202 would be more portable while the 16x08 stays at home as a dedicated studio rig.
The dongle in your screenshot has one output (headphone symbol) and one input (microphone symbol).
So this is probably the same I/O which your computer has on its own already ...

Depending on which output you want to use on the Xenyx (Main out, Ctrl Room out, etc.), one of the following cables should be enough:

o) two 1/4"-jacks (L + R) <---> one 3,5mm stereo jack
o) two RCAs (L + R) <---> one 3,5 mm stereo jack
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
Chris4943

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
The dongle in your screenshot has one output (headphone symbol) and one input (microphone symbol).
So this is probably the same I/O which your computer has on its own already ...

Depending on which output you want to use on the Xenyx (Main out, Ctrl Room out, etc.), one of the following cables should be enough:

o) two 1/4"-jacks (L + R) <---> one 3,5mm stereo jack
o) two RCAs (L + R) <---> one 3,5 mm stereo jack
That would probably work for every laptop except my MacBook Air that from what I can tell has no mic input, and not even a combo headphone/mic port like most other macbooks. Damn Apple, I'm starting to really dislike them.

Also, I'm still just trying to wrap my head around computer mic inputs if nothing more than to put my own curiosity to rest. Would an average laptop or computer with an average separate 'mic' input be able to handle 2 channels? The macbook combo ports and iphone I believe share a 3 pin conductor (or 3 + shield) where 2 of the pins are for L & R stereo output and 1 pin is for mic input. I would guess it's the same for the cheap USB dongle I referenced. The headphone jack actually physically has 2 channels and the mic input physically has 1 channel (but I dunno, that's basically what I'm trying to verify).

I've moved on and ordered a Behringer UCA202 that should do what I need and more, but I'm still curious about the other issue.

Last edited by Chris4943; 03-14-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Chris4943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
solger

Quote:
Would an average laptop or computer with an average separate 'mic' input be able to handle 2 channels?
I would guess it's the same for the cheap USB dongle I referenced. The headphone jack actually physically has 2 channels and the mic input physically has 1 channel (but I dunno, that's basically what I'm trying to verify).
Yeah, the dongle has stereo output and mono input: http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?rou...product_id=693

If it's not mentioned in the specs otherwise, mic inputs are in general mono (1-channel).
It's mostly the case on desktop computers that you can also find an additonal (2-channel) stereo line-input ...

Last edited by solger; 03-14-2016 at 12:48 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
DVDdoug

The mic input on a soundcard or laptop (or a USB soundcard) is usually useless for any "serious" recording...

It's too sensitive for a line-level signal from a mixer or preamp.

Its also usually mono and low quality (noisy).

It only works with "computer mics". It's high impedance unbalanced (2-wire) which is the wrong interface for any stage/studio mic which are low impedance balanced (3-wire) with an XLR connector. In addition, studio condensers require 48V phantom power, which the computer doesn't supply. (The computer/soundcard does supply 5V for an electret "computer mic".)
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #8
Chris4943

Great info. Thanks all for the refresher and clarification.