Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 09-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
noisegroup
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper won´t play rex2-files anymore (FIXED)

Yes, it doesn´t play or show peak files on existing projects, preview window won´t playing either.
Itˋs totally broken!

Osx mojave 10.14.6, latest reaper build 64bit.

On my old macbook pro, with high Sierra, everything is working fine.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
noisegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
tovokas

This might be totally unrelated to your problem, but I've had REX access fail before in another DAW, and this is how I fixed it:

1) If you need to, re-install the Rex2 library that you can get at propellerhead.com.

2)Then go to:

/library/application support/propellerhead software/rex (if Reaper stores a separate version of the library, you would use the directory Reaper uses instead)

And make sure that the read permissions are enabled for all. This restored access for me.

Last edited by tovokas; 09-19-2019 at 11:13 PM.
tovokas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:14 AM   #3
noisegroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovokas View Post
This might be totally unrelated to your problem, but I've had REX access fail before in another DAW, and this is how I fixed it:

1) If you need to, re-install the Rex2 library that you can get at propellerhead.com.

2)Then go to:

/library/application support/propellerhead software/rex (if Reaper stores a separate version of the library, you would use the directory Reaper uses instead)

And make sure that the read permissions are enabled for all. This restored access for me.
Thank you Tovokas, but no luck

Guess it`s a reaper related bug then, cause I´m not the only one with the same problem.

Hope the update is gonna fix it soon...
Old 09-23-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

TL;DR: fixing rex2 on Mojave for the next version. But be aware if you update to Catalina, rex2 support will be (permanently, probably) unavailable.

--

Rex2 requires 32-bit bridging (Propellerheads never released 64-bit versions of the rex2 library).

Mojave started warning about the coming removal of 32-bit support (Catalina will remove it completely). To avoid these warnings we disabled 32-bit bridging for various REAPER features on Mojave. This is sort of a mistake, we'll re-enable rex2 support for the next builds.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:28 AM   #5
noisegroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
TL;DR: fixing rex2 on Mojave for the next version. But be aware if you update to Catalina, rex2 support will be (permanently, probably) unavailable.

--

Rex2 requires 32-bit bridging (Propellerheads never released 64-bit versions of the rex2 library).

Mojave started warning about the coming removal of 32-bit support (Catalina will remove it completely). To avoid these warnings we disabled 32-bit bridging for various REAPER features on Mojave. This is sort of a mistake, we'll re-enable rex2 support for the next builds.
Ok, good to know and thank you for information!
Old 10-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #6
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

--

Thanks for the info.
Only occasionally I use rex/recycle here, and I suppose many users could live without this feature in Reaper.

I've seen the warning on Mojave, but, if I swap with the newer REX Library (1.7) the system seems to accept the bundle, and doesn't display alerts thereafter. Btw. rx2 work fine with latest .dev versions.

Recently I’ve been testing some stuff on macOS Catalina (pub beta8), and I can tell that for example AudioFinder (Iced Audio) and Live (Ableton) eats rx2 files in that environment, and I suppose they will continue to do so. Probably they handle rex in a different way, maybe hard coded I really don’t know. Both of them have the same Rex Library bundle included inside their resources.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote