Old 08-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #1
dsealer
Human being with feelings

Default Help with Stereo Panning

Need some help getting to Render tracks to 2 Master Tracks with stereo L&R audio.

As my recording chain is configured now panning to left or right in Reaper has no effect. I can pan the tracks left and right when they hit the Behringer mixer and things sound as they should. Can anyone tell me why panning in Reaper doesn’t work with the recording set up I’m currently using? For instance
I have a song 8 tracks. I want:
Vocals center;
Bass Gtr center
Druns center
Lead Gtr center
4 other guitar tracks panned to some degree each left and right.
However when panning this song in Reaper there isn’t any stereo effect. The only way I can put the guitars in left and right ears is to configure them in the Behringer mixer. Is this because of my recording chain?
When I Render these tracks to Left & Right in Reaper will the guitars record with the stereo effect?

Equipment List
Behringer XR18 / XAir Edit
Reaper Recording Software
Dell Laptop / Windows 10
Oz QMix 6 channel headphone amp
Art Preamp
DDB ddp processor

All instruments into Behringer XR18
All instruments recorded to Reaper via USB from Behringer XR18
All sound out of Behringer XR18, using stereo cable to L & R inputs on Oz headphone amp (or EV cabs)..

Thanks,
Don……
Posted Behringer & Reaper Forums
Old 08-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
serr

It sounds like you don't have the master stereo bus in Reaper properly assigned to the pair of outputs you aim to use on the XR18.

You mention that when you switch to mixing live inputs with the XR18's built-in cuemix mixer (instead of using Reaper with the already recorded tracks) that you can hear that stereo mix on those outputs. But when you switch back to the Reaper mixer (allegedly assigned to those same outputs) you only have mono or one of the channels?

Check your routing of your master bus in Reaper.

"When I Render these tracks to Left & Right in Reaper will the guitars record with the stereo effect?"

When you render a mix (from a track/bus/master), it will be 1:1 what is in that track/bus/master.

But it sounds like you are asking if there is some mystery where you only hear your stereo mixing after rendering. There's no such madness going on of course. It sounds like you don't have your master bus in your Reaper mixer assigned correctly to the output pair you wanted to use on the XR18 interface.

You understand that you have two completely separate digital mixing boards right? Reaper (in the form of a DAW) and the built-in digital mixer included in the XR18 audio interface hardware. You can of course use them both simultaneously from the same inputs if you have need to. (eg. Running live FOH mix with Reaper and then the stage monitors with the XR18 mixer.) But understand that the mixing boards are completely separate. (eg. Panning something in the mix on one board will not mirror on the other board. They are completely separate mixers.)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #3
dsealer

Thank you for your help. I think I'm starting to understand. I haven't done anything but tracking so far. I'll have more questions I'm sure.
Don.....