Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #1
JohnProphet
Human being with feelings

Default Reinstall Reaper to new computer. what the best way?

Hate to ask as I know there MUST be threads on this but i cant seem to find any good ones

So I have Reaper 4.71 on my old ACER laptop. I just got a new ACER laptop so I want to transfer the whole Reaper install to the new computer.

Whats the best method?

Should I just install the latest version of Reaper and then drag and drop (or merge?) all of the relevant folders?

Can I import all of my settings and preferences?

My main worry is the VSTs. I vaguely remember installing VSTs and it seemed to be a semi-random thing. Sometimes they worked in this folder...or I had to move them to that folder etc. Is there any way that this doesnt have to be a nightmare??

Also, separate dumb question. Can I just simply use the old hard drive in an external case and run reaper that way without reinstalling anything at all?

thanks for any help or pointing to useful threads
JohnProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
Megagoth1702
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnProphet View Post
Hate to ask as I know there MUST be threads on this but i cant seem to find any good ones

So I have Reaper 4.71 on my old ACER laptop. I just got a new ACER laptop so I want to transfer the whole Reaper install to the new computer.

Whats the best method?

Should I just install the latest version of Reaper and then drag and drop (or merge?) all of the relevant folders?

Can I import all of my settings and preferences?

My main worry is the VSTs. I vaguely remember installing VSTs and it seemed to be a semi-random thing. Sometimes they worked in this folder...or I had to move them to that folder etc. Is there any way that this doesnt have to be a nightmare??

Also, separate dumb question. Can I just simply use the old hard drive in an external case and run reaper that way without reinstalling anything at all?

thanks for any help or pointing to useful threads
Install REAPER on your new computer.

You can export/import your whole configuration in the preferences/general. So export configuration on old PC and import on new PC.

Installing VSTs is simply done by telling REAPER where to look for them. It's done in the VST area of the preferences. These paths are exported by the preferences export so if you put your vsts into the same folder paths, it should work no problem.