Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #1
tumbaobass
Human being with feelings

Default vsti issues after changing media buffer size

I tried reducing the Peferences/audio/buffering/media buffering size setting to 800 and returned it to the 1200 default after hearing latency, dropouts and distortion while using Addictive Keys. Reaper doesn't seem to have defaulted to the 1200ms setting after applying and seems pemanently set to the altered setting. Addictive Keys was fine with just a bit of latency prior to my tampering. I tried a re-boot, installing a new download of Reaper, and a return to the setting window to input a few new settings which have no effect on the problem. All standalone VSTI's are fine outside of Reaper.I recorded a bit of Addictive Keys, the results are the same (breaking up and latency).The Default buffer sizes for my souncard (M-Audio ASIO 24/96) and Addictive Keys are 1024.Any help will be appreciated.
tumbaobass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #2
DottorPepper

Have you tried values lower than 800 (which, by the way, is a strange value, values i see here and use are 128,256,512,1024) ? I ask this because the other day I had a medium sized project, don t know, about 14 tracks and 30 FX/vsts and I had dropouts and CPU at 80%, I set a 256 buffer and voila, problem solved ! The CPU got back to 30% .. Use the performance meter and check out. Which CPU do you have ? Mine is a humble i3 @2.93 mhz. Also, run latencymon to check everything is fine with your machine
DottorPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
tumbaobass

Default issue is resolved whew!

I changed the buffer size in my audio card to 256 and brought up the stand alone version of Addictive Keys which showed the the change in it's audio settings at 256. I then opened Reaper and pulled up Addictive Keys and it sounded fine..the problem was a buffer size too large at the audio card...All is well again thanks....
tumbaobass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
DottorPepper

Yes, I think there is buffer underrun but also buffer overrun :-D
DottorPepper is offline   Reply With Quote