Old 10-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #161
Retro Audio Enthusiast
Human being with feelings

Gforce software (Mimimonsta, Mtron Pro, Oddity etc.) had paid 64-bit upgrades on their VSTi's from 32 to 64-bit, so this isn't a new thing.

I agree with you, I would like it for free but developers/businesses don't see it that way.

Last edited by Retro Audio Enthusiast; 10-07-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Retro Audio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #162
richie43

Hey Nip:
So you have the older 32bit SampleTank, right? Does it not bridge in Reaper 32bit?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #163
Peter - IK Multimedia

We had provided 64-bit updates for T-RackS, AmpliTube, and ARC System 2 long before SampleTank 3 was released, and at no charge to current users (which makes sense because those were current products, not products currently running at a version level that was out before 64-bit DAW environments even existed). SampleTank 3 was a complete ground-up rewrite and a completely new version of SampleTank, and was the only product that we were not able to do this with and we explained this in great detail to many of our users on our forum, third party forums, social media, and via direct contact when we were asked (which is another option that is always available to customers when they have a question about products).

For this reason, we offered a very deep discount for those that wanted to upgrade from SampleTank 2.5 XL or Miroslav full during the preorder period (as well as deep discounts on crossgrades and full version), followed by months at Introductory special pricing, alerting our users and potential users via many different methods along the way so they were aware of the special deals they could get in order to continue to use the products they may have been using happily for years, products which were never sold as 64-bit and which had been functioning exactly as specified for years. I hope those that had Powered By SampleTank products in their 32-bit environments were getting out of them what they paid for them via using them over such a period of time.

When users expressed a desire for a version that was lighter and would allow them to import legacy sounds at a lower price point, we decided that the SE version could also be purchased and not just bundled with hardware as was intended.

Also, we have already updated the "badge" in the main graphic atop all SampleTank 3 pages to show "64-bit only" too, based on feedback: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank3/

Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia; 10-07-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Peter - IK Multimedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #164
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK Multimedia View Post
We had provided 64-bit updates for T-RackS, AmpliTube, and ARC System 2 long before SampleTank 3 was released, and at no charge to current users (which makes sense because those were current products, not products currently running at a version level that was out before 64-bit DAW environments even existed). SampleTank 3 was a complete ground-up rewrite and a completely new version of SampleTank, and was the only product that we were not able to do this with and we explained this in great detail to many of our users on our forum, third party forums, social media, and via direct contact when we were asked (which is another option that is always available to customers when they have a question about products).

For this reason, we offered a very deep discount for those that wanted to upgrade from SampleTank 2.5 XL or Miroslav full during the preorder period (as well as deep discounts on crossgrades and full version), followed by months at Introductory special pricing, alerting our users and potential users via many different methods along the way so they were aware of the special deals they could get in order to continue to use the products they may have been using happily for years, products which were never sold as 64-bit and which had been functioning exactly as specified for years. I hope those that had Powered By SampleTank products in their 32-bit environments were getting out of them what they paid for them via using them over such a period of time.
This is entirely reasonable and understandable.

Quote:
When users expressed a desire for a version that was lighter and would allow them to import legacy sounds at a lower price point, we decided that the SE version could also be purchased and not just bundled with hardware as was intended.
As I said, this is a good idea for those who just want a 64-bit version of Sampletank 3 to use with their older Sampletank 2 sounds. I'm glad you offered this option.

Quote:
Also, we have already updated the "badge" in the main graphic atop all SampleTank 3 pages to show "64-bit only" too, based on feedback: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank3/
I'm glad IKM are taking notice of these things.
Retro Audio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #165
Peter - IK Multimedia

Thank you. I realize no decision is going to please every single person but we did try to offer up the best possible options to our users and potential users as well as adjust in some cases.
Peter - IK Multimedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #166
Nip

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Hey Nip:
So you have the older 32bit SampleTank, right? Does it not bridge in Reaper 32bit?
Thanks, yes I did try that. At first it seems to run fine, but after some time I encountered instability stuff.

I both tried jBridge and Reaper bridge. jBridge also require to run Reaper as admin, or do multiple confirmations every time you open a project - and a controller ShuttleExpress(inserting keyboard commands) does not work when running apps as admin.

As soon as you get instabilities not otherwise common if running Independence, or Dimension Pro or Addictive Keys - you stop trying and suspect bridging. If anything we want stability.

But as I mentioned, not a biggy really - not halted in any way. Right now what sound the best is my digital piano.

ST3 came up, and I thought about this oldie. I'm not paying again for this IK library to run.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:44 AM   #167
DarkStar

^^^^
Sorry about your troubles. ST2 et al run fine here in Reaper 32-bit (running it "as Administrator").

-----------------------------------
Meanwhile ...

Many people miss the automatic assignment of Volume and Pan (#7 and #10) CC messages by default to the instruments. Lateral thinking helped me discover a possible workaround.

Give this a try:
-- download the attached file, unZip it and put the Multi in your ST3 Multis folder,
-- load the Multi into ST3,
-- then load your instruments.

And, no, it will not help with existing projects, but you have probably "Learned" them already.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vol_Pan_CC.zip (1.7 KB, 135 views)
Old 12-23-2014, 02:45 AM   #168
Firedance

Err...I'm having a bit of a user issue here. I'm fairly new to Reaper by the way.

Using the free version of ST and really enjoying some of the sounds.

However, I can't fugure out how to load and play more than one instrument, per instance of ST. I can only ever get the first channel (say piano) to work. As for instruments on additional channels, nothing.

I'm sure it's something simple. Do I have to fiddle with routing in Reaper? I thought I could just assign via ST but maybe there's more to it.
Firedance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:23 AM   #169
DarkStar

^^^^
"All" you need to do is send MIDI notes on a different channel into ST3 (or Kontakt or TX16Wx or ...)

This is the simplest way to get started:
(a) right-click in the TCP area below any existing tracks,
(b) select "Insert virtual instrument on new track",
(c) select ST3,
(d) click [Yes] on the "Build Routing confirmation" window; that will create tracks for all of the audio outputs from ST3,
(e) open the FX window for the ST3 track (click the [fx] button),
(f) select [Options] >> "Build 16 channel of MIDI routing to this track",
(g) disable RecArm on the ST3 track.
Now you will have 16 tracks sending MIDI (on channels 01 ... 16 respectively)
to ST3 and 16tracks for the audio outputs from ST3.

Within ST3, load your instruments and set the routing for each one - receiving MIDI on a particular MIDI channel (on the Play page) AND sending its audio to a particular audio output pair (on the Mix page).

Back in Reaper, name your "MIDI" tracks for their destination instruments and add the MIDI. Name the "audio2 tracks too. Colour the tracks as you wish.

Then just put /edit the MIDI on each of the "MIDI" tracks.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:44 AM   #170
Firedance

Brilliant - thanks very much for that, appreciate it.

A bit more to it indeed then. In my naivety I thought this would be like Superior Drummer or similar: semi-automagic routing with a minimum of clicks or windows.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #171
DarkStar

SD and some other drum VSTis do it differently - but all the drum kit pieces (instruments) are driven by MIDI on the the same channel, the note pitch determines which piece is triggered. And each drum kit piece can be routed to a different output.

Having said that: in ST3 you can load different kit pieces into different instrument slots, route each one to a different output and set their input channels to be the same. here is the Jazz kit - 5 groups of kit pieces, all on Channel 01, each group routed to a different output:

... Big pic: https://i.imgur.com/f9eSZ57.png
Old 12-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #172
Travst

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
SD and some other drum VSTis do it differently - but all the drum kit pieces (instruments) are driven by MIDI on the the same channel, the note pitch determines which piece is triggered. And each drum kit piece can be routed to a different output.

Having said that: in ST3 you can load different kit pieces into different instrument slots, route each one to a different output and set their input channels to be the same. here is the Jazz kit - 5 groups of kit pieces, all on Channel 01, each group routed to a different output:

... Big pic: https://i.imgur.com/f9eSZ57.png
Nice tip, thanks!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #173
Firedance

Darkstar, can I just ask - what Reaper theme are you using? Looks nice
Old 01-26-2015, 09:43 AM   #174
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedance View Post
Darkstar, can I just ask - what Reaper theme are you using? Looks nice
If I may butt-in... that appears to be RADO.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #175
DarkStar

Yep, the unreleased "RADO VOX - vidalsh - DarkStar"

(Edit: I may be wrong. if so, my apologies)

Last edited by DarkStar; 08-19-2015 at 03:55 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #176
Firedance

Thanks. I feel like a change. Just cos I can
Old 01-26-2015, 04:38 PM   #177
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Yep, the unreleased "RADO VOX - vidalsh - DarkStar"
Ahhh... a rare bird, indeed.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:19 AM   #178
Firedance

So SAMPLETANK IK Custom Shop has now been released.

Free, and features a few more instruments.

Other than the additional instruments can someone explain the difference between this new variant and the free version of the last one?

E.g. the way it is described it sounds like the instruments/sounds are all preloaded and self contained - which would be nice.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:52 AM   #179
DarkStar

With ST3 CS you initially can download the same instruments as you could for ST3 Free (or more, I'm not 100% sure).

After that you can purchase additional instruments:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products...k3instruments/
This is the latest:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/st3cinematic/
Old 08-19-2015, 04:51 AM   #180
Firedance

Yeah I think there are 4 more instruments (inc a fretless bass, which would be useful) But I don't understand their approach/rationale.

Could they not just make these sounds available for ST3 free and be done with it? Why "reboot" the whole process?

Which makes me think I'm missing something.

I'd like to avail of these new sounds but not looking forward to it if I have to uninstall ST3 free, reinstall the new one, and then one by one add these instruments again...

EDIT: OK, looking like the architecture has been redesigned somewhat to allow the hosting of paid instruments within the same free version,rather than upgrading or whatever maybe that's the difference
Old 09-01-2015, 03:39 AM   #181
Firedance

Grabbed this Custom shop version and it seems to have downloaded fine - the previous free instruments from ST3 and also the 5 or 6 new ones.

The new instruments are failing to load though - probably need to be authorised ? but when I log in in to IK user area, the only available code is about a year old (from the last ST3 free)

Does anyone know if it's ok to use this or might it mess things up?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2015, 04:04 AM   #182
DarkStar

In my IKMM User Area ST3 Free has been replaced by ST3 CS, and yes, it does have a Serial Number so will need Activating.

In fact, I have 2 Serial Numbers with 10 Authorizations each! - it looks like my old (unused) ST3 Free ones have been added to ST3 CS.

Also
Quote:
If updating from a previous SampleTank 3 Free version, you must run the Sound Library Updater 3.6. Click here to download.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:08 AM   #183
Firedance

OK thanks Darkstar - but all I can see in my user area is the old serial number I mentioned - there are 9 authorisations left but it sounds like from what you said, I should expect new CS serial number/code...

I did download and run the sound library updater 3.6. In fact everything was quicker and smoother than previously - except for the new instruments failing to load.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:31 AM   #184
DarkStar

... one for IK Multimedia Technical Support then.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:47 AM   #185
Firedance

OK, thanks anyway Darkstar.

I've raised a ticket - although non-paying customers may not be the highest priority I suppose. We'll see.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #186
DarkStar

^^^^
But that means you've got money to spend
Old 09-01-2015, 07:08 AM   #187
Firedance

Ha - very sales guru optimism!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #188
slooky

If I purchase Miroslav do I need to purchase anything else? Do I need SampleTank?
slooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #189
DarkStar

Miroslav Philharmonik (MP) is a 32-bit program and plug-in. It will load into Reaper 64-bit as long as you install the software bridge (I can't remember the option in the Reaper Installer).

On Windows, you will need to run Reaper (and the standalone MP program) "as Administrator" in order to access MP's working files without problem.

You do not need SampleTank 3, but you might like to try out the free SampleTank 3 CS (and, no, that edition will NOT Import the MP instruments).

Oh, you will also need IK Multimedia's Authorization Manager.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #190
Firedance

Never did get this working (re few posts above) by the way. IK support were helpful in the sense that they were responsive but still no luck with this odd problem. Ah well. The working instruments I have are pretty good anyway.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:00 AM   #191
DarkStar

There's a Group Buy on at the moment:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/wos/index.php

And you might be interested in this:
http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardwa...bundle--217569
http://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia-.../dp/B00PD2JE4I
It's very odd that I could not find it mentioned on the IK Multimedia web site, but only in the Store:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products...pletank3bundle