Old 07-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
lyquist
Human being with feelings

Default How do I get this to work???

I posted another thread and people said that what I was trying to do was possible with Reaper, now you are going to have to tell me how to do it. Here is what I want to do...

I want to plug my guitar into my mixing board (which goes into my computer) and hear effects in real time. Like using my computer as a guitar amp. I can get the guitar sound to come out of the speakers, but I can't get it to have any effects. How do I do this with Reaper??? This is very confusing to me. I want to try out some distortion, reverb, flange, etc... effects. I do not want to record clean and then add effects later. I want it all to happen in as real time as possible. I realize there will be a small latency, but that is ok. I can deal with that and probably wouldn't notice it anyway.

Any specific help would be appreciated. I am truly a newbie at this. All my past experience has been with a Tascam 424 cassette four track machine. Thanks in advance.

Lyquist
lyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
pipelineaudio
Mortal

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/1152907164/testguitar.RPP

Open that file in reaper

Click on the track meter to change your input to the correct one for your guitar

Click the I/O button on master and be sure you are sending reaper's output to the right place

Insure that track 1 is armed and that the furthest button on the track on the left on the meter row, looks like a speaker and is in Monitor or Autoinput mode

You should hear some distortion effect on your guitar from the JS distortion plugin
Old 07-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
lyquist

How do I do it if I just want reverb and chorus on my acoustic guitar??? I truly appreciate everybodies patience with me.

Lyquist
Old 07-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
Jason Brian Merrill

just insert a different effect!

all you need to do is click on the "FX" button on the track and select the desired effect.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
lyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill
just insert a different effect!

all you need to do is click on the "FX" button on the track and select the desired effect.
when I used his testguitar.rpp it wouldn't let me add any other effect. I am so ignorant when it comes to this. Maybe they will make a digital four track so I'll know what I'm doing and get the benefit of digital:-)

Lyquist
Old 07-14-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
lyquist

I think I have it figured out. This is cool as shit. I can't wait until I get my electric off of layaway:-) My friend was letting me use his strat, but he had to leave.

Lyquist