Old 05-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #1
chip mcdonald
Human being with feelings

Default Mixdown selected clips (CEP)

What is the procedure for this in Reaper? It must be obvious, but...? In CEP you just select a group of clips, then pick "MIXDOWN SELECTED CLIPS TO (mono, stereo)...

?
chip mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
Lee Flier

Select the clips and then choose "Render" or "Consolidate" from the File menu... it gives you the option to render only selected tracks (it calls then "stems" if you're rendering).
Lee Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
amenbrother

I tried this on an oldcomputer but it gave me an error message, "could not find files" or something like this. It was midi files and Direct wave btw.

1.First I highlighted the tracks that I wanted to render
2.Ctrl+alt+R
3. Render stems to new tracks or something like that
4. Error message,
This when I though the two miditrack was supposed to be rendered to two different track. (Do I understand this correct, that I render(resample) two(or more) different tracks to two new track(or more) at the same time.

Cheers
amenbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Flier
Select the clips and then choose "Render" or "Consolidate" from the File menu... it gives you the option to render only selected tracks (it calls then "stems" if you're rendering).
Ok, thanks Lee... I thought I tried that but the
render" menu seemed to have something that bugged me about it. Ah, stems=selected tracks... Ok... Thanks!

It would be nice if there was a feature that skipped that window and just plopped the resulting file back into the editing window, ala CEP...
Old 05-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Lee Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald
It would be nice if there was a feature that skipped that window and just plopped the resulting file back into the editing window, ala CEP...
Not sure what you mean by "skip the window" but there's a check box that allows you to pop the rendered tracks right back into the project as new tracks.
Lee Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:29 PM   #6
chip mcdonald

Well, let me elaborate on what I need to do:

Let's say there's 4 clips, 2 of which are on the same track, the other two are on separate tracks BUT with other clips on the same track that I *don't* want mixed together.

In CEP I would just highlight them, select "mixdown selected clips", and it would be as if everything else was muted. I *could* individually mute tracks, but that would be a pain.... or I could move "clips" to the same "track", but then I can't do individual envelope editing to each clip if there's an overlapping section.

So in other words, I might have 3 tracks "exploded" from doing takes on one section, that I want to comp to a stereo track that includes clips from a previous section - that overlap in time, with unique envelope editing. I can't drag the clips from the other tracks over because the automation/envelopes won't go with it.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:56 PM   #7
pipelineaudio
Mortal

that seems pretty handy and should be easy enough to do by modifying the consolidate feature.

Please can you simplify and clarify the exact behaviour and I wouldnt be surprised if you get it
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:10 PM   #8
RokkD

Id like to see this too, anything and everything that's selected (highlighted) gets mixed down.
RokkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #9
fluffy

It certainly sounds great.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:58 PM   #10
Art Evans
Mortal

Audition 2.0 has "bounce to new track > selected audio clips" and this includes the effects on the tracks involved. So if implemented in Reaper, should this be a dry bounce or a bounce with FX?
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:02 PM   #11
pipelineaudio
Mortal

both

Options Options!!! we will crack the floppy size yet
Old 05-12-2006, 09:48 PM   #12
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio
we will crack the floppy size yet

NEVER!!
Old 05-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #13
chip mcdonald

Quote:
that seems pretty handy and should be easy enough to do by modifying the consolidate feature.

Please can you simplify and clarify the exact behaviour and I wouldnt be surprised if you get it
As ArtEvans says, ala the CEP/Audition "bounce to new track" feature, *SANS* FX.

IN EXACT TERMS:

1) Say for instance you have 3 "Tracks" lanes;

2) Each track lane has 3 individual, unique clips on them. Perhaps on one track lane it's a guitar part for the first verse, then another clip for the next, etc.. Yes, I realize you could do this on separate tracks, but... anyhow...

3) Say that another track lane has all of the chorus guitar clips, of which there are three unique clips.

4) ..but then, say there's another track that has clips that duplicate the verse parts - but one clip has one part of one of the verse sections played better - *just one one little* riff.

So, you envelope edit just that bit "up", while editing the lesser bit "down" in the original verse clip;

5) At this point you have another "track" that has 3 clips on it, BUT you only want the part edited on just *one* of the three clips.

6) AT THIS POINT I WANT TO COMP THE GUITAR TRACKS

In CEP I would do it this way:

Select *only* the clips I want comped/mixed down; select "bounce selected clips to new track" - voila, I'm finished...

In Reaper, I have to do it this way AFAIK:

a) Either mute all non-guitar tracks, or solo just the guitar tracks;

b) Then, I'd have to take care of the "extra" clips - either delete them (maybe I'm not sure? so I prefer not to?); edit their volume envelopes "off" (a lot of extra hassle); or temporarily move them to a separate muted track (a hassle)

So, relative to CEP, I'm going to have to do at least two extra steps - of which the "b" step is going to require a fair amount of work.

In CEP, I'm already finished.

*** In essence, you're creating a temporary sub-mix that is built upon *just* the clips you are selecting. I can't see that happening any easier with any other procedure...?

ANOTHER MINOR QUIBBLE:

I want a "permanently delete (when shut down) clip" selection when I right click... Or do I already have that? Does "Remove" function that way? (haven't had time to check, sorry)
Old 05-13-2006, 04:38 PM   #14
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

;.. and what about "consolidating" midi ?
I mean : merging midi clips, even from several tracks in one single big midi file ?
This could allow to have one channel with notes, merged with one channel from another track with automations...
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:15 PM   #15
chip mcdonald

I'd want a dry bounce BECAUSE....

The way I work is that *sometimes*, once things start congealing, I might termporarily throw a delay or something on a track that "seems" to be "where all of the bass/guitar/vocal whatever tracks are ending up"...

It doesn't mean it's going to be there in the end (probably won't be) - BUT, it also doesn't mean I might freak out and decide I only want a section of what has been comped to that track to end up comped into ANOTHER track...

..which might be completely dry, OR have a completely different FX treatment on it.

This gets back to my "Tracking configuration vs. Overdubbing vs. Mixing configutarion" feature: I operate in 3 distinctly different modes, depending on which one of those 3 things are that I'm doing.

I don't think that's much different than how most people work? In which case, for me, it would be nice if I'm only presented with switchs/baubles/menus that are pertinent to the "mode" I'm presently in at a given moment.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #16
Art Evans
Mortal

Of course you could always get a dry bounce by switching off the relevant effects, but admittedly that adds a layer of extra button pushing.

The complication with bouncing items with effects is that you have to also consider how any sends come into play, if there are effects on those.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #17
pipelineaudio
Mortal

a dry bounce with no leveling could be done with consolidate right now
Old 05-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #18
chip mcdonald

Quote:
a dry bounce with no leveling could be done with consolidate right now
?

I *think* I know what "consolidate" is for - at least I hope it's for (moving/duping projects with only "active" clips?)... but it seems like a complicated way of mixing selected clips...?
Old 05-13-2006, 07:38 PM   #19
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I use it for glueing edits together
Old 05-14-2006, 12:39 AM   #20
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
Of course you could always get a dry bounce by switching off the relevant effects, but admittedly that adds a layer of extra button pushing.
The thing is, I HATE button pushing. I don't want to feel like Han Solo escaping the Death Star, "click, click, click, switch, click.. ok Chewie, HIT IT!!"...

I want to pick the clips I want comped, and then COMP IT, and not have to do other tertiary things. The CEP way is as streamlined as it can get, I think.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:22 AM   #21
fluffy

My argument for chip's way of doing this would be that the function could be routed to a hotkey. Hilight the items, and hit one key. BAM! Done. (It should, of course, also be in the right click item menu, it seems to me).
Old 05-14-2006, 11:55 AM   #22
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy
routed to a hotkey. Hilight the items, and hit one key. BAM! Done. (It should, of course, also be in the right click item menu, it seems to me).
Yeah, that would be quite nice; preferable to CEP with the right click, since you wouldn't have to travel the great distance all the way up to the menu bar....
Old 07-07-2006, 08:18 AM   #23
chip mcdonald

bump

(given Pipeline's reference in another thread)
Old 07-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #24
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Let me get this right, It goes across tracks, to seleceted clips and then puts them on a new track?
Old 07-08-2006, 07:21 AM   #25
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Let me get this right, It goes across tracks, to seleceted clips and then puts them on a new track?
Yeah, anything you select.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #26
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald
Yeah, anything you select.
I guess then, my last question is, as cool as it is as a function in cool edit, if you were king of the world, how would you do it BETTER than CEP? When you use it what do you find yourself occasionally saying, like "man if it only did this while it did that" ?
Old 07-08-2006, 06:39 PM   #27
fluffy

Well, the hotkey was something he'd mentioned. Apparently it's on a toolbar or something in Cool Edit.

It does sound like a pretty good idea.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:47 PM   #28
chip mcdonald

Quote:
if you were king of the world, how would you do it BETTER than CEP?
I had quibbles with CEP, but they were operational and not workflow issues. From a workflow standpoint I think working with it was as streamlined as it could get, almost.

I don't think you can make it easier than "select clips>right click>mixdown to mono .wav". CEP would kick it out to the edit window, at which point you'd have to load it into the multitrack window...

...which I would assume Justin would streamline by having it automatically load to a new track...

Quote:
When you use it what do you find yourself occasionally saying, like "man if it only did this while it did that" ?
Well, I wasn't kidding when I told Justin that the "explode takes" function was my major want. Essentially IMO Reaper is pretty much akin to CEP; CEP didn't do looped takes, which makes tracking comps much easier (obviously).

Syntrillium did a great job IMO in CEP with figuring out the workflow procedures. There were a lot of things that bothered me about it, but the ease of use made it impossible to permanently switch over to Cubase, Sonar or Alsihad.

When it comes to sitting there and creating stuff by myself, CEP doesn't require the right side of my brain hardly at all; I'm not having to remember keystrokes, multi-layered procedures, non-linear button placement, etc.

The only workflow issue I had with it was having to reset the default input on startup, depending on what I had hooked up to my I/O. That's still an issue in Reaper, although I can see at some point making that easier when I have time to get templates going better.

REGARDLESS,

select tracks;
right click "mixdown selected to mono?"
mixdown track pops in a new track...

Hmm... and then, if there were an optiion to mute the previously selected clips after the process, that *could* be convenient. That would be another thing CEP didn't do, but I haven't thought that through completely to say for certain that it's a good idea...?
Old 07-09-2006, 04:28 PM   #29
Art Evans
Mortal

If they remained selected, you could then just press alt/m to mute them as a matter of personal choice.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #30
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
If they remained selected, you could then just press alt/m to mute them as a matter of personal choice.
I'd prefer a non-keystroke solution <g>; right click and go...... but it doesn't matter if a "mixdown selectred clips" option doesn't exist...