Old 09-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
tilamz
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Issuse (Repear Noob)

Hello, I'm in need of some help. Right now, I'm still on the evaluation license part of reaper. I'm having trouble with Asio4all and my interface. I have a M-audio 2x2M. When I start reaper, sometimes I get a message stating error initializing Asio driver, but my interface, is the drop down menu w/o the ports showing. When I restart reaper and when my interface connects, I'm only able to use reaper for about 2/5 minutes and then repear freezes. If I unplug the interface, repear unfreezes. Any help? P.S I'm on windows 7 professional 64 bit

Thanks 4 any help
tilamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
foxAsteria

Try installing the actual driver for your device: http://m-audio.com/support/drivers-search

ASIO4All is a workaround for devices that don't provide ASIO drivers.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
tilamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Try installing the actual driver for your device: http://m-audio.com/support/drivers-search

Thanks for the advice Drivers are already installed. Repear does see the interface in the drop down menu. Should I reinstall the drivers on the interface?
Old 09-24-2018, 12:27 PM   #4
foxAsteria

You don't need to reinstall them, just choose them. Why were you using ASIO4All instead?
Old 09-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
tilamz

Quote:
You don't need to reinstall them, just choose them. Why were you using ASIO4All instead?
When I loaded up reaper, it had stated the asio drivers were missing and I had to install them so I just installed them
Old 09-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
foxAsteria

reaper told you to install asio4all? that's a new one to me...well if you installed the m-audio drivers but can't use them, then yea reinstall them. make sure you choose the correct operating system and unplug your device while you do it.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #7
tilamz

Quote:
reaper told you to install asio4all? that's a new one to me...well if you installed the m-audio drivers but can't use them, then yea reinstall them. make sure you choose the correct operating system and unplug your device while you do it.
I didn't even know nothing about asio4all until reaper said that the drivers weren't install when I loaded it up. I will try what you said hope thats helps
Old 09-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
Steviebone

what is the audio device? you want the driver for the device not ASIO4ALL if at all possible.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:09 PM   #9
ivansc

Hi and welcome to the forums.

First off, uninstall ASIO4ALL completely.
Then install the latest M-Audio ASIO driver - download it from their site to be sure.

Re-start computer with the interface plugged in, select it in Reaper under Options/Preferences/Audio/Device & choose ASIO from the drop down menu, then your M-Audio ASIO driver & you should be good to go.
Let us know if you aren`t.

By the way, if you didnt already, download & check out the free reaper user guide and have a look at some of the excellent free tutorial videos, all at reaper.fm
Old 09-25-2018, 07:15 AM   #10
Steviebone

@Tilamz: Check out the vast reaper video tutorial pool out there. I used an mp4 grabber and downloaded hundreds of video tutorials starting with Goia (Reaper home page), Reaper Blog and ReaperTV. And then there are hundreds more all over youtube. I sorted them all into directories based on area of topic. Once I did this I don't think I ever cracked the pdf manual again. The Goia stuff is outstanding. Covers pretty much anything and everything. It will not only teach you but be a good source for evaluation of possibilities.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:22 PM   #11
woogish

totally forget asio4all
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:12 PM   #12
mschnell

Quote:
Usually not necessary in Reaper, as Reaper supports other Windows Audio device standards, as well. ASI4All does not make anything "better", but just more compatible (and sometimes less reliable).

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #13
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Usually not necessary in Reaper, as Reaper supports other Windows Audio device standards, as well. ASI4All does not make anything "better", but just more compatible (and sometimes less reliable).

-Michael
AFAIK ASIO is still the lowest latency standard for Windows that isn't proprietary, which is mainly why the ASIO4All exists (to allow ASIO for devices that don't necessarily support it). It's also one of the few ways you can combine I/O from multiple devices on Windows. I'm just wondering about the OP's claim that Reaper suggested installing it.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:39 PM   #14
mschnell

As ASIO4ALL just converts between ASIO and other Windows Audio standards, it can''t improve latency above what these other standards provide.

And as Reaper already natively supports most of these other standards, ...

-Michael
Old 09-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #15
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
As ASIO4ALL just converts between ASIO and other Windows Audio standards, it can''t improve latency above what these other standards provide.
And yet it does? The only times I've needed to use ASIO4All were when I was restricted to motherboard sound and it most definitely achieved lower latencies than any other option Reaper provided. I'm not saying you're wrong, but what you're saying contradicts my experience with A4A. Without it, recording in sync with playing back was not possible.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:44 PM   #16
mschnell

This would be rather astonishing (but I did not try to do any programming against a Windows sound API).

Technically, ASIO allows for setting the latency you want to work with. This value (i.,e. buffer size and buffer count) is communicated to the Audio device driver, and then same works appropriately. Resulting in low latency with smaller values, but increasing danger of dropouts and crackles with such setting.

I am not aware of the (pre-WASAPI) Windows sound APIs providing tweaking these settings. But I might be wrong.

-Michael