Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 08-06-2022, 08:52 PM   #121
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Okay, I think all the links will work, but I'll wait until they are tested.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=150868
Those links worked.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:20 PM   #122
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Those links worked.
Alright Glennbo, now I can take a break.

Thank you again my friend.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:55 AM   #123
Glennbo

Quote:
Alright Glennbo, now I can take a break.

Thank you again my friend.
Thanks for getting the files downloadable Tod. I downloaded everything fresh.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but when I try loading any of the project files, REAPER can't find all the samples. If I load "SMDrums (1400) FX.RPP"

The first sample REAPER throws out an error for is this one.

01_Snr_HyB3_V1_Atk_RR1.wav

Edit: Update, if I get past all the files with "Atk" in the names, then search again for the remaining files, 128 files are missing, and toms and cymbals are all there. Looks like it's an issue that none of the samples with "Atk" in their names are present.

Update2: Loading up all four project files if I skip past all the samples with "Atk" in their name, the projects load and play. All four project files claim there are 128 sample files not found and all of them have "Atk" in their names.

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-07-2022 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-07-2022, 12:40 PM   #124
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMM View Post
Glennbo,

I was testing the links for Tod (behind the scenes)
and I was wondering if you could double check two links?

The two links that are named:

SMDrums_Sforzando_1.2.zip
SMDrum Stereo (Samples).zip

I want to be sure that you can download the files from
those two links on your end.
Both of those blip out without downloading anything. I already have the sForzando version and was grabbing the RS5K version to use on another machine this time.

I grabbed the sForzando version from the SM Drums web page here.

https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/for-sfz-sforzando/

Note: The above site does not have the RS5K version of SM Drums.

Old 08-07-2022, 01:01 PM   #125
SMM

Quote:
Both of those blip out without downloading anything.
Thank you, that confirms the issue that I was having with those two links.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:24 PM   #126
Tod

Quote:
Both of those blip out without downloading anything. I already have the sForzando version and was grabbing the RS5K version to use on another machine this time.

I grabbed the sForzando version from the SM Drums web page here.

https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/for-sfz-sforzando/

Note: The above site does not have the RS5K version of SM Drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMM View Post
Thank you, that confirms the issue that I was having with those two links.
Okay thanks guys, does this link work for "SMDrums_Sforzando_1.2.zip"?
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1DHs_...xport=download

Also this one for "SMDrum Stereo (Samples).zip"?
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B8sa...xport=download

Last edited by Tod; 08-07-2022 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:55 PM   #127
Glennbo

Quote:
Okay thanks guys, does this link work for "SMDrums_Sforzando_1.2.zip"?
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1DHs_...xport=download

Also this one for "SMDrum Stereo (Samples).zip"?
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B8sa...xport=download
Both of those work Tod.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:23 PM   #128
Tod

Quote:
Both of those work Tod.
Thanks Glennbo, that should do it then.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:15 PM   #129
David Mochen

Default Download from the wordpress.com site?

Hi team, I have come across SM Drums a couple months ago, newbie on Reaper, in the process of collecting stuff to make some music

I found the https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/for-reaper/ site and downloaded the MegaReaper Drumkit file, but this is not referred at all in this post nor in the manual. Question is, should I disregard this presumably outdated version? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

David
David Mochen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:23 PM   #130
PMan

Thanks a million, Tod!

All the download links work.

PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:07 PM   #131
SMM

I tested every link at post #1 (downloads, video, demos).
All links are now working correctly.

Great job Tod !!!
Old 08-07-2022, 09:44 PM   #132
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mochen View Post
Hi team, I have come across SM Drums a couple months ago, newbie on Reaper, in the process of collecting stuff to make some music

I found the https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/for-reaper/ site and downloaded the MegaReaper Drumkit file, but this is not referred at all in this post nor in the manual. Question is, should I disregard this presumably outdated version? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

David
Hi David,

That website along with the MegaReaper Drumkit was created by team member Suleiman who is now doing other things. His drum kit is totally different then the drum kits on my thread. I thought he had a manual but maybe not. Actually after checking it appears that he did, but there is no access to it at this point. I think I might be able to get in touch with him to see what he want's to do with his website.

At this point you might be better off DLing the kit on my thread, it has all the samples and info that you will need. It also has several layers and works pretty well.

In all honesty I have several high level drum kits, but I'm still using SMDrums that I programmed in Kontakt, probably because I know it so well.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:50 AM   #133
Andreya

Hey! Pretty sure last time I checked this kit out there wasn't a Sforzando wrap. Don't know how late I am to this particular party, but I just wanna say thanks for that one! I always liked this kit but never could get the RAM-hungry RS5K version to work for me, nor do I really want to install Kontakt. Glad this option exists now!
Andreya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:21 PM   #134
David Mochen

Quote:
Hi David,

That website along with the MegaReaper Drumkit was created by team member Suleiman who is now doing other things. His drum kit is totally different then the drum kits on my thread. I thought he had a manual but maybe not. Actually after checking it appears that he did, but there is no access to it at this point. I think I might be able to get in touch with him to see what he want's to do with his website.

At this point you might be better off DLing the kit on my thread, it has all the samples and info that you will need. It also has several layers and works pretty well.

In all honesty I have several high level drum kits, but I'm still using SMDrums that I programmed in Kontakt, probably because I know it so well.
Thanks a lot, Tod. Yes, I was not able to download the manual for the MegaReaper Drumkit. I have already downloaded the "official" version referred in this post and will try that, but since I had already downloaded one, I was wondering whether I would still be able to get the manual. Thanks for considering contacting Suleiman about that.

Best,

David
David Mochen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 03:23 PM   #135
PMan

Hey @Glennbo!

I saw this:

"SFZ syntax highlighting file for KATE

If you don't know what that it is, it makes the sfz come up in various colours (dependant on your colour scheme) for easier editing.

I have made one for KATE (text editor) available here with install instructions: https://www.pling.com/p/1840691/

Once installed, it will automatically work when you open a sfz file or save a new file as sfz."

The whole LinuxMusicians thread is here: https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=24688

And I thought about your post:

Quote:
I use the SFZ version of SM_Drums in Linux.

Opening them in the free native Linux (or Windows/Mac) VST3 player, "Sfizz", lets me adjust a lot of parameters, such as pitch, pan, volume, decay, Etc. This also works on my Raspberry Pi 4.

Edit: I decided to see if I could get separate outputs from the SFZ version of SM_Drums in Sfizz, and by adding the "output=" opcode to each of the "mappings" files, I'm now getting six outputs. This is an example of the additional "output" opcode I added to the file "smdrums_sfz_ride17tip.sfz", which puts it on the 6th output of Sfizz (or whatever multi-output SFZ player you might use).

Code:
ampeg_sustain_oncc$RI17D=-100
ampeg_sustain_curvecc$RI17D=7
output=5
I now have SM Drums on separate tracks for Kick, Snare, Rack Toms, Floor Toms, HiHat, and Cymbals.
This may be useful - and thanks again, Tod!

Old 09-11-2022, 06:03 PM   #136
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
Hey @Glennbo!

I saw this:

"SFZ syntax highlighting file for KATE

If you don't know what that it is, it makes the sfz come up in various colours (dependant on your colour scheme) for easier editing.

I have made one for KATE (text editor) available here with install instructions: https://www.pling.com/p/1840691/

Once installed, it will automatically work when you open a sfz file or save a new file as sfz."

The whole LinuxMusicians thread is here: https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=24688

And I thought about your post:

Cool. I'll check that syntax highlighting out. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2022, 09:50 PM   #137
PMan

You are most welcome!

Old 09-01-2023, 07:18 AM   #138
SurfingTheCesspool

I know this hasn't been posted in in a while, however can anyone tell me if I might be missing something in the pack somewhere? The open high hats are really tame, but I'm not sure if they just haven't been recorded with much force on the loser velocities? I know the rest of the kit hasn't really been smacked within an inch of destruction, but the open hats seem to be particularly gentle sounding when compared to how hard the crashes have been hit in the louder samples.

Does anyone know any similar kits if this is just part of the vibe of them? This would be absolutely perfect if it had a bit more aggression to it when needed! I'm doing a silly Surf Punk recording thing so I'm after a kit like this (preferably with 2 rides too!)

Thanks for any help!
SurfingTheCesspool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 12:26 PM   #139
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingTheCesspool View Post
I know this hasn't been posted in in a while, however can anyone tell me if I might be missing something in the pack somewhere? The open high hats are really tame, but I'm not sure if they just haven't been recorded with much force on the loser velocities? I know the rest of the kit hasn't really been smacked within an inch of destruction, but the open hats seem to be particularly gentle sounding when compared to how hard the crashes have been hit in the louder samples.

Does anyone know any similar kits if this is just part of the vibe of them? This would be absolutely perfect if it had a bit more aggression to it when needed! I'm doing a silly Surf Punk recording thing so I'm after a kit like this (preferably with 2 rides too!)

Thanks for any help!
Yeah, we created this kit going on 9 years ago, and with a little hindsite there's a lot of things we would have done a little differently. What format are you looking for, RS5K, Kontakt, etc.??

Haha, I'm not familiar with "Surf Punk", so I can't help you there.

Maybe my good friend Glennbo will see this post and have some advice.
Old 09-01-2023, 01:45 PM   #140
Glennbo

When I was experimenting with SM Drums on a hard rock thing, I used the foot splash samples playing quarter notes instead of the open hihat samples because it fit the harder sounding groove better. It didn't sound the same as aggressively riding an open hihat ala Ringo Starr, but was closer to that sound than riding the the open hihat.
Old 09-01-2023, 02:08 PM   #141
SurfingTheCesspool

Yeah it's an amazing set of sounds, I can't say I've played with many, but they have so much more character than most I've heard!

I'll try the different hat sounds and see what I can manage, the whole thing was gonna get some dirty processing to make it a bit more agro so will see how that goes!

I'm not too familiar with the world of drum programming, but I was gonna use something with a nice straightforward UI ala sfz ideally! Any suggestions for similar software, and similar sounding samples would be much appreciated!

Ta for the replies!
SurfingTheCesspool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 01:01 PM   #142
Tod

Quote:
When I was experimenting with SM Drums on a hard rock thing, I used the foot splash samples playing quarter notes instead of the open hihat samples because it fit the harder sounding groove better. It didn't sound the same as aggressively riding an open hihat ala Ringo Starr, but was closer to that sound than riding the the open hihat.
Thanks Glenbo, I was going to suggest the foot splash but decided I'd rather have you suggest something or other. I use the foot splash far more than I do the regular splash.
Old 09-03-2023, 02:35 PM   #143
Glennbo

Quote:
Thanks Glenbo, I was going to suggest the foot splash but decided I'd rather have you suggest something or other. I use the foot splash far more than I do the regular splash.
On my acoustic kit, I frequently play quarter note hihat foot splashes with my left foot while playing eight note ride cymbal hits with my right hand. It gets a syncopated feel that implies the Ringo Starr "roaring open hihat", but somewhat lighter sounding.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:27 PM   #144
[REDACTED] Sound Studio

Tod, generally speaking, if you were to do it all over again, what would you do differently? I'm in the early stages of sampling my set and would like to avoid any hazardous terrain.

I'm downloading the RS5K version now to play some drums and study the samples tonight.
[REDACTED] Sound Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 05:24 AM   #145
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by [REDACTED] Sound Studio View Post
Tod, generally speaking, if you were to do it all over again, what would you do differently? I'm in the early stages of sampling my set and would like to avoid any hazardous terrain.

I'm downloading the RS5K version now to play some drums and study the samples tonight.
That's a good question. In my opinion, the number 1 priority in how you are going to record your samples, is the room that will be used for your recordings. The room will dictate the options you have.

I'm not going to try suggest what type of room to use, you probably don't have many options available. However, a somewhat large asymmetrical (meaning few if any parallel surfaces) that is well treated is probably the best option.

However, like many of us where money is a concern, your going to have to make due with whatever is available to you.

That all being said, we did use round robins (RRs), and also recorded several layers, 32 or more on many of the kit pieces. My take away on this is that the more layers, the better. Especially on the snare and hi-hat, although I would include the ride in on that. Next would be toms and Kick, but still the more layers the better.

We created 4 RRs on everything, however later on after the fact and on subsequent tests, we decided an odd number of RRs was best, preferably 5, 7, or 9.

I hope that helps.
Old 09-15-2023, 06:43 AM   #146
[REDACTED] Sound Studio

Quote:
I hope that helps.
It does, thanks. The SMDrums manual was informative as well. I ran out of gas before I could get the project set up to jam last night, but the coast looks clear today.
[REDACTED] Sound Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 11:30 AM   #147
DarkTron

Hello!

I've just tried to run the latest version of SMDrums, and went through the expected search process to find the samples, but most of the samples are not loading into Reasamplomatic. Reaper is not finding them.

I checked the filenames that Reasamplomatic is requesting, but they do not seem to match anything that is included in the download files.

I'm sure that I'm probably missing something obvious, but do you have any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong?

I'm still using my older version of SMDrums, and it loads and fine really sounds nice.

Thanks so much!
DarkTron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 10:55 PM   #148
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTron View Post
Hello!

I've just tried to run the latest version of SMDrums, and went through the expected search process to find the samples, but most of the samples are not loading into Reasamplomatic. Reaper is not finding them.

I checked the filenames that Reasamplomatic is requesting, but they do not seem to match anything that is included in the download files.

I'm sure that I'm probably missing something obvious, but do you have any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong?

I'm still using my older version of SMDrums, and it loads and fine really sounds nice.

Thanks so much!
I'm not sure what you mean here DarkTron, at this point there is only 1 version of SMDrums, and I assume it's the same as your older version.

Where did you first download your older SMDrums?

Last edited by Tod; 12-13-2023 at 05:44 PM.