Old 12-17-2018, 01:22 AM   #1
Eliseat
Human being with feelings

Default Zoomed images moving to roughly

Hi,

I noticed that zoomed images are unable to pan smoothly thru the screen.

While I was working on a simple slideshow to demonstrate nearly all possible transition types in Reaper I got stuck by this problem. At first I thought its kind of a parameter problem, that the values of the automation only are stepped because of the coarse parameter dial resolution. But it seems more like a magnifying effect as if the vertical and horizontal pan gets zoomed with the image what makes the little steps visible. The weird thing is, not only the movement in one direction looks chunky it also happens that the images jumps for one pixel or a certain step in another direction and back.

Here is an example:

The chunky movement is not only from the 10 frames per second. The video looks nearly then same. The problem is more the left/right/up/down micro movement. Here the video: https://mega.nz/#!C2pUTabS!rPStu-TrL...PzidghcvBZralQ

I have no idea if this is a preset problem as it happens in the default Opacity, zoom, pan preset as well as in the Essential video controls from Jon. Or if this is a general problem with the automation resolution. Maybe its to rough for this kind but okay for audio?

You can recreate this problem by zooming an image to 1.5 and slowly panning it in both directions. You would say that zooming this high should be avoided but sometimes its necessary to do so.

Any idea of how to fix that?

Many thanks
Eli

Last edited by Eliseat; 12-17-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Hmm perhaps try decreasing the automation step size via the //@param lines?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
Eliseat

I will make further tests to see what its all about.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:44 AM   #4
Eliseat

So it happens if you pan and zoom at the same time. Even slightly zooming leads into little jumps. I tried (hopefully right) to decrease the step size but this doesn't change anything.
For my understanding the resolution of video automation always should happen with maximal possible resolution/sub-division independent from the parameter dial resolution. And it seems this already is the case. But for some reason the zoom and pan coordinates don't fit to each other. Maybe something gets round down?

Take a look at this example: Same set up of an image getting moved and zoomed. Once with default preset. Once with decreased step size preset. This jumping movement also gets rendered.

I will make a further test if it also happens with video.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
rluka

I am also having the same problem with test sizing and zooming especially at the beginning and ending of this video.

https://youtu.be/qFhoFabeUCU

Licecap view:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=13y...aTWrqLkO2UcbFJ

Ron L

Last edited by rluka; 12-19-2018 at 01:30 PM.
rluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:52 AM   #6
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluka View Post
I am also having the same problem with test sizing and zooming especially at the beginning and ending of this video.

https://youtu.be/RAg3BseHPPk

Ron L
Yes, that's a good example. In your case it looks like the scaling/zooming only happens after every 5th frame or so. But even if you scale a large amount it always should move smoothly.

Greetings
Eli

BTW: Nice and crisp sound, lovely melody. Like it!
Old 12-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #7
wwwmaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
It really looks like its jumping backwards in this gif but I'm having problems to reproduce that.
Code-wise there's something which rounds the zoomed image dimensions to numbers that are divisible by 2 (5 becomes 4, 123 becomes 122 etc.). Not completely sure what this does (let the image stay centered?) but do you see any improvements concerning the backwards jumping if you remove the "&0xfffe" part from these lines (line 33 and 34)?
Code:
    dw = (project_w*z)&0xfffe;
    dh = (project_h*z)&0xfffe;
EDIT: ah I can reproduce it by zooming into the image and simultaneously moving it down so that the upper border of the image has 2 opposing directions. My quick fix seems to prevent jumping back but for now I'm not sure if this breaks something else.

(btw enabling filtering makes edges in the image look much more smooth)

Last edited by wwwmaze; 12-18-2018 at 09:20 PM.
wwwmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:58 AM   #8
Eliseat

Hi wwwmaze,

I don't have these lines as I'm probably using a different (optimized) version from a dev. The corresponding code looks like this:

Code:
dw = (project_w*z)&-2;
dh = (project_h*z)&-2;
Anyway. If I remove those lines the preset stops working. If I remove the &-2 it stops jumping back as you suggested. (I already guessed it could have something to do with rounding but was of course to stupid to see it in the code. )

For me this was a serious drawback in the whole concept of video/image editing as it makes it nearly impossible to do simplest tasks. And I was just wondering why I never discovered it before.

This is what it looks like now:

The jumps are gone. But I'm not sure if those steps are right. And in rluka's example you can see in the beginning that the movement seems to be smooth while the zooming makes kind of stepped progression. This looks weird. I will make further tests.

Many thanks for your help.

BTW: rluka, I actually can't listen to your mix with my studio headphones as they are broken. For me it sound great over Bluetooth.