Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-06-2021, 07:31 AM   #1
Scrench
Human being with feelings

Default Let's Talk About LA-2A Clone Compressors ... Again

I've read a lot of threads about compressors on this forum, but not so much lately. With that in mind, I'd like to see what current opinions are from professional studio users.

I'm using Reaper, and have decided I don't really like the Rea-included ones, Rcomp, Xcomp, the Sstillwaters' or Major Tom (although the Fairlychildish and 1175 are transparent and would be my first choices if I had to use only Reaper plugs.)

So, I demoed Softube's Summit Audio TLA-100A, and was astounded by the leap in quality I heard, especially on the bass, that just fattened up and sat in the mix much clearer. Now I realize it is coloring the sound, adding it's own character, but I liked that. I liked what it did on vocals, too, but after doing some research realized that it's warmness is actually just because it cuts frequencies around 3-6K. So now I'm on the hunt for something better, ala a LA-2A clone. Through extensive listening, I've narrowed my choices down to just a few, so please, no need to tell me the UAD Teletronix is the best, because I'm not interested in dongles or other crap associated with proprietary set-ups. Case in point, the Slate FG-2A, which I had decided I wanted until I found out you had to go the dongle route or even worse, subscribe regularly.

My choices are:
Softube Tube Tech CL 1B (but I heard a demo where the Presonus P1B blew it away)
Presonus P1B
Waves CLA-2A (aren't these supposed to be CPU-hungry?)
Slate FG-2A (only if there is some way to own it without being a hostage)

I'm not interested in any of these because I've heard them all and dismissed them for one reason or another, unless you can make a GREAT case for it!
Overload Comp LA
Cakewalk
Klangheim
Hornet
Teletronix
IK Multimedia T-Racks White 2A
Black Rooster

Thank you for your professional opinions and experience.
Scrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:38 AM   #2
poseidal

DMG Audio's TrackComp 2 has a 2A model you can try out too.
poseidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:15 AM   #3
ts335

Not really a model copy but lots of capability and character, check out:

https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-molotok/

Molotok is free - Molot is the paid for Gentleman's Edition.

Good overview by Dan Worrall on that page.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #4
Softsynth

Molotok freebie is good. Picked up GE version in Black Friday for £12 (confusingly called Molot, rather than Molotok, like the old version).

Analogue obsession is another option, and those emulations are new and free, but you can choose to support him, if you're using a lot of his plugins.
https://bedroomproducersblog.com/202...bsession-lala/
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:47 PM   #5
Scrench

Has anyone successfully used Waves CLA-2A with Windows 7? If I get that I may as well get CLA-76 with it.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #6
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrench View Post
Has anyone successfully used Waves CLA-2A with Windows 7? If I get that I may as well get CLA-76 with it.

Or you can try the free one that compares favourably for many:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckcrn7Njydo

It's been upgraded since that review too.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
They work for me, I've had them since 2017 or so.

One of the high points of a desired emulation or real thing, is you don't have to tweak it to death to the the sound it's supposed to excel at. For example, if you told me "plugin x" can do "emulation y" but you have to do a/b/c/d/e to make it do that, I'd probably not be interested because that's too much work.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:21 PM   #8
ggrey

Klangheim for me. I have the freebee and it does La2a very nicely. Simple, quick and easy to smooth out everything...everything that needs smoothing anyway. After the holidaze it's the paid version....now that I think of it, maybe tomorrow :-)

Last edited by ggrey; 12-06-2021 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling
ggrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:01 PM   #9
kirk1701

The TLA-100 is a very specific model of compressor. It's not quite an LA-2A in that it has faster attack times. So it's tonal character is going to be quite a bit different.

I would encourage you to trust your ears. If the TLA sounds good to you, that's the one you should get. Once you start the ball rolling on third-party plugins, they accumulate fairly quickly.

The iLok Manager is actually a very discreet service. I held out for years, but I wanted to try Kush Audio (which you might also like) so I caved.

Frankly, most plugin makers have some sort of download manager, including Waves. They're a necessary evil we all have to live with, I'm afraid. My point is, don't let them ruin your fun.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:31 PM   #10
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
They work for me, I've had them since 2017 or so.

One of the high points of a desired emulation or real thing, is you don't have to tweak it to death to the the sound it's supposed to excel at. For example, if you told me "plugin x" can do "emulation y" but you have to do a/b/c/d/e to make it do that, I'd probably not be interested because that's too much work.
Ok, Professor, gotta ask. Your hair appears to be a bit shorter in your avatar. My imagination?
Old 12-06-2021, 11:17 PM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Ok, Professor, gotta ask. Your hair appears to be a bit shorter in your avatar. My imagination?
I have been cutting it shorter but I put it in a ponytail 2nd set.

I also sport a suit now, whodathunk?

Old 12-07-2021, 02:35 AM   #12
Judders

Also the Native Instruments one, coded by softube. Worth a try.

Brainworx Opto Comp is nice for clean opto style, and the ACME Opticom is cool if you want more grit.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:45 AM   #13
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Also the Native Instruments one, coded by softube. Worth a try.

Brainworx Opto Comp is nice for clean opto style, and the ACME Opticom is cool if you want more grit.
NI Guitar Rig 6 has versions of all those Softube coded plugins (including their take on the LA2A) in it as standard, along with almost all their other NI effects, if people don't mind loading up an instance of Guitar Rig instead of individual VSTs.

https://www.native-instruments.com/e...tar-rig-6-pro/

£44 to upgrade existing Guitar Rig at the moment.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:22 AM   #14
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts335 View Post
Not really a model copy but lots of capability and character, check out:

https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-molotok/

Molotok is free - Molot is the paid for Gentleman's Edition.
Just to add to this - Molot has an optional dual stage attack and release. In the free version (Molotok) it is pre-set within the alpha-beta-sigma knob but in the paid version (Molot) it is fully manually adjustable.

The paid version has a preset called "Opto".

Quote:
Waves cla2a
I have recently made some experiments and found out that Waves CLA2a and CLA3a do null very much. Also I have found that each emulation is somehow different, so there is no point in strictly relying on a plugin to be an emulation.

Maybe if the OP was able to identify in technical terms what it is about those compressors he likes, he would be able to get it also from Molot.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:33 AM   #15
Scrench

I enjoyed the sonic characteristics the TLA-100 added to my vocal track, and thought its smoothening was better than any of the Reaper comps. This was after I had already gone over each note leveling volumes pre-fx. Then I put it on the bass track with the "Bass" default preset, and even on that, my bass track gained heft, solidity, focus, and texture. This was the first time I had used a 3rd party compressor in Reaper, and chose that one to demo based on comments in this forum. So after my ga-ga moment, I decided that there may be others that might give another level of improvement, especially after hearing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2_GHlwpZos

In my opinion, the CLA-2A not only brings the vocal forward, maybe a tad more than the TLA, but surrounds it in a warmer envelope, and most importantly, smooths the notes together to create a more fluid vocal line that makes the performance more pleasing to listen to. Since then I have heard every comparison I could find of the CLA versus xyz. In particular this one stands out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4uaMgP8C_M

Now in this comparison, to my ears using Sony Studio Pro Monitor MDR 7506 headphones, the UAD sounded best since it was the standard for the test, but since I don't have Windows 10 to run it, the Slate, followed by the Waves interested me the most. I think I'm out of luck on the Slate for the same reason, no W10, which led me again to the Waves.

Thanks so much for all of your comments so far. And yes, I COMPLETELY realize that opening up this Pandora's box can lead to a significant draining of one's bank account, which is why I am asking these questions to narrow it down a bit. Been there, did that for 50+ years buying rooms full of guitar stuff.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:13 AM   #16
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I have been cutting it shorter but I put it in a ponytail 2nd set.

I also sport a suit now, whodathunk?

Dang, dude! Next thing you know you'll be getting all uppity!

Looking good, Professor!
Old 12-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #17
bFooz

Here's my preset for Molot I made to imitate Waves CLA-3A. They null ok, not completely thoug. But then the CLA3A does not null completely even when it is not compressing anything. The preset was made using PluginDoctor and the values were rounded to nice numbers.

There is a fully functional demo of Molot available on TDR site https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-molot-ge/ .
You just copy the following text and paste it into the plugin.

Code:
<TDRMolotGE InputGain="0.0" SideHP="120" SideHPOn="Off" SideRotatorOn="Off" Attack="30" AttackMode="0.00" Release="500" Ratio="4.0" Threshold="-23.0" Knee="0.50" Makeup="0.0" DualStage="On" SecondaryAttack="1000" SecondaryRelease="2000" SecondaryAttackMix="10.0" FeedbackMode="On" ReleaseRelax="On" RatioSpecial="Off" MidEQ="0.0" MidEQOn="Off" MidEQMode="Dynamic" Limiter="-12.0" LimOn="Off" SatOn="Off" SatMode="Dynamic" SatDrive="0.0" LoFi="Off" DryMix="0.0" Output="0.0" StereoLink="On" StereoLinkType="Normal" StereoLinkCrossover="625" StereoMode="Stereo" Quality="Precise" Bypass="Off" SidechainMode="Int. SC" DeltaMode="Off" WidthThreshold="0.0" WidthMakeup="0.0" MeterRange="12 dB" MeterMode="Relative" MeterSource="Effective" MeterSpeed="Fast"/>
Old 12-07-2021, 02:47 PM   #18
airon

Thanks for the preset. Picked up Molot GE two days ago on the sale. So flexible and fun.

I use the CLA-2A, Blackrooster VLA-2A and its VLA-3A(great on some voices for me) and Analog Obsession LALA (very flexible).

Whatever sounds good. My bread and butter comps are still Pro-C2, ReaComp and Renaissance Comp. But I've mixed shows with Rocket, MJUC and DC8C3. Going to try the SSL channel strip v2 (from SSL) too soon. Good compressor. Needs very little messing about, like the LA2A stuff .
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:37 AM   #19
norbury brook

I've had the CLa waves comps for years. Still my old standby. the LA 2a/La3a and 1176 are very light on resources and work fine.

M
Old 12-08-2021, 07:36 AM   #20
matthewbarnhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by poseidal View Post
DMG Audio's TrackComp 2 has a 2A model you can try out too.
+1

When I moved from the analog world to ITB mixing, I bought a lot of plugins in an attempt to replicate my analog workflow. I could've saved so much money if I had just bought TrackComp in the first place. It's the closest I've heard (in a native, non-UAD plugin) to the LA2A's and 1176's I am used to.
matthewbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:31 AM   #21
cool

Unfortunately, most of the LA2 emulation plugins are just junk because they don't emulate dual auto-release. Many have just a very long release, which makes them useless to work with, even if you're looking for just a good compressor and not an accurate emulation.

Yes, in this regard, the UAD, hated by many, remains the best. Of the native emulations that have good fidelity, I remember Native Instruments (Softube) and Cakewalk. If my memory serves me, these plugins in my tests were on a par with UAD and had a correctly implemented release.

But if we talk about distortion, so far there is no plug-in that would do the same thing as an hardware compressor. I mean the obvious distortion at extreme exceeding the level.
cool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:36 AM   #22
hexSPA

Just wanted to give a +1 to Molot and BX Opto. Having used both, I enjoy them. Whether they're exactly like an LA2A, I can't say.

Though I haven't tried this particular model, MeldaProduction has MTurboComp which has an LA2A preset.

I just upgraded (arguable definition) to Windows 11 and am paring down my plugin library. BX Opto is great for singing when used as an input plugin. Even so, I just replaced it with the Melda one but have yet to test the result.

Oh, and iLok isn't bad. I'm with you on dongles and proprietary BS but, as far as copy protection goes, I like it better than I thought I would. Importantly, if you ever upgrade your OS, be sure to deactivate your licenses. Forgetting a few simple right clicks can (i)lock you out of some available activations.
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #23
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexSPA View Post
Just wanted to give a +1 to Molot and BX Opto. Having used both, I enjoy them. Whether they're exactly like an LA2A, I can't say.

Though I haven't tried this particular model, MeldaProduction has MTurboComp which has an LA2A preset.

I just upgraded (arguable definition) to Windows 11 and am paring down my plugin library. BX Opto is great for singing when used as an input plugin. Even so, I just replaced it with the Melda one but have yet to test the result.

Oh, and iLok isn't bad. I'm with you on dongles and proprietary BS but, as far as copy protection goes, I like it better than I thought I would. Importantly, if you ever upgrade your OS, be sure to deactivate your licenses. Forgetting a few simple right clicks can (i)lock you out of some available activations.
I haven't gone to windows 11 but I have been trying to pair down my plugins. I've set up key commands for Waves CLA 76 and TLA 100A as my only two character compressors. I would probably use either reacomp or TB compressor 4 for my clean comp.

I have the legacy UAD stuff and to be honest the waves CLA76 sounds as good as the UAD legacy 1176 to me.... I really like the "bluey".

But to be honest the biggest joy is just using only 2 compressors - has really really speeded up my writing and mixing....rather than wading through lots of options.

I also mapped the knobs to my midi fighter twister which has made things faster still!

I do really like melda stuff but sometimes I find it daunting with so many controls / parameters.....

Last edited by mozart999uk; 12-09-2021 at 11:57 AM. Reason: thought of something else
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:52 PM   #24
Scrench

You made a good case for the DMG Trackcomp, and I will definitely check it out, Matthew. BTW, what compressors are you used to, and which ones did you try out before settling on the DMG?

Not to go too far off-subject, I realized I also need a good eq when I tried Reacomp on a distorted guitar track and it sounded horribly flat and lifeless. So I downloaded the companion Summit EQF-100 tube eq, and it sounded pretty good, as though I were adjusted the actual tone controls on the amp.

Next, I realized the Reaverb examples aren't all that hot either. Don't get me wrong, the Rea stuff is fine for just demo work or goofing around, but I'm trying to record my 2nd CD here, and want it to sound better than the first, as good as possible. So I am demoing Softubes Tsar-1 reverb. It sounds good, but I think it is a CPU devouring demon from hell.

I'd appreciate recommendations on either of these as well.

And thank you all for your suggestions, please keep em' coming!
Old 12-09-2021, 03:00 PM   #25
Softsynth

Quote:
Next, I realized the Reaverb examples aren't all that hot either. Don't get me wrong, the Rea stuff is fine for just demo work or goofing around, but I'm trying to record my 2nd CD here, and want it to sound better than the first, as good as possible. So I am demoing Softubes Tsar-1 reverb. It sounds good, but I think it is a CPU devouring demon from hell.

You've just missed Tsar-1 heavily reduced in B.Friday sales. However Tsar-1r contains the best part of Tsar-1 anyway (and that was according to the developers on a forum I read a few years ago).
Tsar-1r can be found in reduced price packages sometimes. Also it gets discounted too from time to time.

Another nice one to consider is Native Instruments Raum. Again that sale just finished, but you might find a used license somewhere. It was originally free. Even so a good room sound.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:15 AM   #26
ivansc

A +1 for Tsar 1R. I bought it for almost nothing years ago, planning on upgrading to the full version, but I am still pretty happy with the R one for the stuff I use it for. Mind you, I have D/L`d several of the LA2 examples in this thread even though I still have the UAD one & a couple of other good `uns.
Spent a little time yesterday comparing them & have kept as couple of them for further trials.

So much for thinning the herd every December right after Thanksgiving.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:46 AM   #27
mozart999uk

Quote:
You made a good case for the DMG Trackcomp, and I will definitely check it out, Matthew. BTW, what compressors are you used to, and which ones did you try out before settling on the DMG?

Not to go too far off-subject, I realized I also need a good eq when I tried Reacomp on a distorted guitar track and it sounded horribly flat and lifeless. So I downloaded the companion Summit EQF-100 tube eq, and it sounded pretty good, as though I were adjusted the actual tone controls on the amp.

I've mucked about with all sorts of the years - both hardware and software. I'm still searching for a good replacement for the UAD neve 33609. Tis a lovely comp for piano.

EQ wise, I'm now pretty much exclusively using toneboosters EQ4. Really flexible and also does dynamic EQ. I'm often turning to dyn EQ rather than full band just to solve problems. I also use melda mdynamic EQ for that too

Reverb - Reverberate V3. Really like it. :-)
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:33 AM   #28
bFooz

I got TSAR-1R bundled with Focusrite interface. Good sounding reverb but maybe not so flexible. I use Fabfilter's Pro-R mostly - it is very flexible while not having too many daunting knobs like some other reverbs.

As for compressors, for me it is ProC2 as a clean comp and now Molot as a dirty comp. I did some custom "emulations" of LA3A/2A in ProC2, its Classic mode it the only feed-back one.

For budget-savvy folks, Focusrite has a new plugin bundle, probably as an answer to the new interfaces from Arturia and UAD. https://focusrite.com/en/hitmaker-expansion There is a reverb bundled - a stripped down emulation of Lexicon 480 which seems to be more flexible than Tsar1R in terms of controls.

There is also Focusrite RED compressor bundled which was coded by the guy who later founded DMG.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:52 AM   #29
matthewbarnhart

Quote:
In my studio, I regularly used both original and reissue 1176LN's and LA2A's, plus the Purple Audio MC77 (1176 clone), the Manley ELOP (similar design to the LA2A), Distressors, RNC's, dbx160's, all the usual stuff.

When I use a plugin model of a physical device I'm very familiar with, it's because I'm looking for the instant gratification of using that particular unit. The only 1176 and LA2A plugins that sound "right" to me are the UAD versions and TrackComp.

Not that you can't get good results out of the Waves or T-racks versions, but I could never get them to work the way I was used to. (The Waves 1176 in particular sounds like no 1176 I've ever used.)

These days I mostly use MetricHalo ChannelStrip, FabFilter Pro-C, and Klanghelm MJUC because I'm now very used to them and they provide a lot of workflow benefits. Sometimes, though, I know I need an 1176. While I can get close to its behavior with ReaComp, Pro-C, or any number of compressors, I'll get there instantly with the right tool.
matthewbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:38 AM   #30
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewbarnhart View Post
The only 1176 and LA2A plugins that sound "right" to me are the UAD versions and TrackComp.
Have you tried "1178" from Pulsar Audio? How would you rate that one?

https://pulsar.audio/comp-1178/
Old 12-12-2021, 02:04 AM   #31
airon

It‘s a similar situation for me concerning dialogue and the old Waves Renaissance compressor. That‘s my instant result tool, though Arouser by Emipirical Labs was a little smoother in opto mode. Not €200 smoother though .

Quote:
In my studio, I regularly used both original and reissue 1176LN's and LA2A's, plus the Purple Audio MC77 (1176 clone), the Manley ELOP (similar design to the LA2A), Distressors, RNC's, dbx160's, all the usual stuff.

When I use a plugin model of a physical device I'm very familiar with, it's because I'm looking for the instant gratification of using that particular unit. The only 1176 and LA2A plugins that sound "right" to me are the UAD versions and TrackComp.

Not that you can't get good results out of the Waves or T-racks versions, but I could never get them to work the way I was used to. (The Waves 1176 in particular sounds like no 1176 I've ever used.)

These days I mostly use MetricHalo ChannelStrip, FabFilter Pro-C, and Klanghelm MJUC because I'm now very used to them and they provide a lot of workflow benefits. Sometimes, though, I know I need an 1176. While I can get close to its behavior with ReaComp, Pro-C, or any number of compressors, I'll get there instantly with the right tool.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 02:39 AM   #32
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Have you tried "1178" from Pulsar Audio? How would you rate that one?

https://pulsar.audio/comp-1178/
I had their Smasher compressor free from Plugin Boutique. Any time I tried it it crashed Reaper almost immediately. I tried downloading it again and tried it in combinations of different instruments and it continued to crash Reaper.

Maybe they've improved their products?
That was a very bad first impression. Got numerous compressors and EQs that can double as compressors, along with the compressors built into Reaper so haven't bothered pursuing that as I didn't ask for it in the first place.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:44 AM   #33
TonE

Quote:
... While I can get close to its behavior with ReaComp, ..., or any number of compressors, I'll get there instantly with the right tool.
If you use FxChains or track templates or project templates you have instant results as well.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 01:51 AM   #34
jams3223

Default answer

you can use Fuse Audio Labs VCL-4 opto compressor and follow it up by Softube Harmonics on the modern or Tube setting for some tube sound.
jams3223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 02:55 AM   #35
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
I had their Smasher compressor free from Plugin Boutique. Any time I tried it it crashed Reaper almost immediately. I tried downloading it again and tried it in combinations of different instruments and it continued to crash Reaper.

Maybe they've improved their products?
That was a very bad first impression. Got numerous compressors and EQs that can double as compressors, along with the compressors built into Reaper so haven't bothered pursuing that as I didn't ask for it in the first place.
Odd.... I got Smasher as a freebie when it first came out & although it is a bit of a one trick pony, it has always worked reliably for me on the occasions when I have used it.

Been exploring some of the other LA2/LA2A-alikes in this thread & some are indeed pretty good.
Old 12-14-2021, 06:35 AM   #36
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Odd.... I got Smasher as a freebie when it first came out & although it is a bit of a one trick pony, it has always worked reliably for me on the occasions when I have used it.

Been exploring some of the other LA2/LA2A-alikes in this thread & some are indeed pretty good.
Funny.

Every single time here. That is when used in combination with virtual instruments in Windows 10. This is a very stable machine with many plugins.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:10 PM   #37
jm67

It's older and 32 bit, but I use Variety of Sound Thrillseeker on almost all my vocal tracks.
jm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #38
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm67 View Post
It's older and 32 bit, but I use Variety of Sound Thrillseeker on almost all my vocal tracks.
The other 32 bits coming soon!

Here is Thrillseeker XTC in the meantime with an extra 32bits.
https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com...mkii-released/

64 & 32 bit versions here:
https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

Last edited by Softsynth; 12-14-2021 at 01:39 PM. Reason: In XTC
Old 12-14-2021, 01:25 PM   #39
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm67 View Post
This should be 64bit updated soon, VoS got back to the thing.

https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/
Old 12-14-2021, 01:27 PM   #40
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
This should be 64bit updated soon, VoS got back to the thing.

https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/
See above!