Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-20-2016, 12:22 AM   #1961
morfi
Human being with feelings

Good review JamesPeters!

Yes, the x10 compressor takes a lot of CPU because of the clean linkwitz-riley filters (it can even run at 2x oversampling, taking even more, or then again on the look-ahead mode, taking more buffer too).

So far it's windows only, x86 only and standalone.
morfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #1962
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfi View Post
Good review JamesPeters!

Yes, the x10 compressor takes a lot of CPU because of the clean linkwitz-riley filters (it can even run at 2x oversampling, taking even more, or then again on the look-ahead mode, taking more buffer too).

So far it's windows only, x86 only and standalone.
I am using Reaper 64-bit, and I just realized with the existing 32-bit plugin bridging settings these plugins (and other 32-bit plugins) will use more CPU. I haven't used 32-bit plugins in a long time, so I didn't look at the settings for 32-bit plugins. Now I set the plugins to automatically bridge, and to "embed bridged UI" (which I prefer, I don't like the extra floating windows), and the CPU decreased to something comparable to using them with Reaper 32-bit (more reasonable numbers in general).

The x10 compressor is very nice! I find it hard to read the dials and the numeric values but otherwise I like it a fair bit (even though I just gave it a quick test over a few minutes' time).

The Bus compressor subjectively sounds quite good too (with some nice features), although when testing with a sine wave sweep I notice it adds a significant amount of low frequency information (which a DC filter doesn't remove). For this reason I'd personally prefer to use Variety Of Sound's ThrillseekerVBL.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:34 AM   #1963
morfi

Also bare in mind that a jbridged-pluging inside REAPER will not report PDC;
something like a multiband-compressor with look-ahead will use a somewhat considerable buffer size...
Old 10-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #1964
JamesPeters

Quote:
Also bare in mind that a jbridged-pluging inside REAPER will not report PDC;
something like a multiband-compressor with look-ahead will use a somewhat considerable buffer size...
That makes sense. I'd enabled look-ahead and it didn't change the buffer size from 0, but I could tell it did something in that regard due to the brief glitch in the sound (similar to bypassing/enabling plugins known to have a buffer size greater than 0). I didn't think of the reason why the buffer size wasn't being shown, but I knew look-ahead is impossible without a buffer.

(edit) Actually, I just checked some other 32-bit plugins that are being bridged in my Reaper 64-bit install, and they report the buffer size. I tried running the 32-bit plugins in Reaper 32-bit (so they're not bridged), and it seems they all report their buffer size but the Cana x10 compressor still doesn't.

(I'm using Reaper's own bridging when I use Reaper 64-bit, so I'm not using jbridge.)

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-21-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #1965
morfi

it's understood that you're using REAPER's own bridging for x86 VSTs - I'm doing the same here.

Having said that, there's no way that a 32bit plug-in WILL report proper CPU % consumption and/or buffer size utilized to an FX chain inside a track running under a x64 bit REAPER.

Everybody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's that way. I have actually calculated the PDC for my x86 plug-ins inside my x64 REAPER on an x86 REAPER install so I can compensate myself for such latency when using those VSTs.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #1966
JamesPeters

Quote:
Having said that, there's no way that a 32bit plug-in WILL report proper CPU % consumption and/or buffer size utilized to an FX chain inside a track running under a x64 bit REAPER.
Here's what I did to test.

1) run the plugins (X10 compressor, plus some Variety of Sound 32-bit plugins) in Reaper 64-bit with bridging. Look at the CPU and buffer size reported in the FX window.

2) run the same 32-bit plugins in Reaper 32-bit. Look at the CPU and buffer size reported in the FX window.

Both results were the same (within a small % difference for CPU, and the buffer sizes were reported the same). X10 compressor, both times, did not report any buffer (including when lookahead was enabled). It's not only when I use it bridged; when I use it in 32-bit Reaper, the same thing happens.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #1967
morfi

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

how can a plug-in with look-ahead not need and report ANY buffer?

(yes, Cana's plug-ins ARE, as far as I know, supposed to be zero-latency, yet still...)
Old 10-22-2016, 08:36 PM   #1968
JamesPeters

Quote:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

how can a plug-in with look-ahead not need and report ANY buffer?

(yes, Cana's plug-ins ARE, as far as I know, supposed to be zero-latency, yet still...)
My guess is that either the plugin's look-ahead feature isn't working or that the plugin is not reporting the latency. It's not much of a concern for me anyway since I generally prefer compressors working without lookahead. I used to rely on it before I became comfortable with the operation of compressors and limiters, but now it's something I generally don't use.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #1969
morfi

Just bumping to keep this thread up to date.

Also to take a chance to once again tell everybody that those AirWindows plug-ins are absolutely astounding, mindblowing, impressive, inexplicable...

Thanks to the guys above who let me know those existed! My mixing template has changed dramatically every since
Old 11-22-2016, 01:19 AM   #1970
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
Thanks I was searching this thread for the word "slax" and didn't realize it was posted earlier as "s.l.a.x."

(grin) Oops - my mistake. As you can see, I dont get around here that often, at least not in this thread, and it DOES get hard weeding out where you are sometimes.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #1971
JamesPeters

Quote:
Just bumping to keep this thread up to date.

Also to take a chance to once again tell everybody that those AirWindows plug-ins are absolutely astounding, mindblowing, impressive, inexplicable...

Thanks to the guys above who let me know those existed! My mixing template has changed dramatically every since
I'm now using Distance (after reverb to add some natural sounding darkness/distance), Highpass/Lowpass/Toneslant (for somewhat different and really natural handling of low end and high end), Density (great for punching up a sound), Pyewacket (a unique transient-enhancing compressor when used carefully...I recommend Reaper's wet/dry mix for this); and of course I'm still using Drive, Console4 and Channel4.

After a while of using Console, I can notice the difference more with/without it.

A couple of his plugins don't do much for me. Point in particular acts weirdly and not just in the way he mentions in his video. Its reaction seems to be different when stopping/restarting playback or looping sometimes. That one is just too "out there" for me to use.

That aside, his plugins have been some of the most practically useful and welcome plugins in my system in a long time.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:52 AM   #1972
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFizz View Post
Here's a very nice EQ, analog style, very smooth.

It sounds great on guitars and vocals, very subtle.

works on Windows and Mac
BasiQ
Bumping this one so others might notice it. It's nice.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:31 AM   #1973
vitalker

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183903
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #1974
morfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
That aside, his plugins have been some of the most practically useful and welcome plugins in my system in a long time.
I read all the notes and watch every video and end up sometimes having mixed feelings about AirWindows and the developer, Chris Johnson, who's obviously a freakin' genious, to say the least.

Nevertheless, he puts out so many plug-ins, most of them are truly fantastic, and you can get overwhelmed.

Sometimes I think they'll replace 90% of my current setup (which is pretty thought-out), sometimes I think I'll just keep the special ones from AirWindows, but then again how can you ditch this one and that one. It's driving me kinda crazy
Old 11-24-2016, 07:47 AM   #1975
citizenkeith

Quote:
I read all the notes and watch every video and end up sometimes having mixed feelings about AirWindows and the developer, Chris Johnson, who's obviously a freakin' genious, to say the least.

Nevertheless, he puts out so many plug-ins, most of them are truly fantastic, and you can get overwhelmed.

Sometimes I think they'll replace 90% of my current setup (which is pretty thought-out), sometimes I think I'll just keep the special ones from AirWindows, but then again how can you ditch this one and that one. It's driving me kinda crazy
He needs to organize his website better, and have somebody write short, easy-to-understand descriptions of his plugins. I don't always want to sit and watch a 30 minute video every time he releases a plugin!
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:20 AM   #1976
morfi

I'll do my own notes too to keep track of what each new plug-in is for.

His videos are long and sometimes somewhat boring at moments but he does let thru valuable information on digital audio in between. Definitely wouldn't miss any of them
Old 11-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #1977
citizenkeith

Quote:
I'll do my own notes too to keep track of what each new plug-in is for.

His videos are long and sometimes somewhat boring at moments but he does let thru valuable information on digital audio in between. Definitely wouldn't miss any of them

Oh, I absolutely agree. I just don't have the time to spend watching them!
Old 12-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #1978
BRBWaffles

Could anyone recommend a free multiband gate? If such a thing exists.
BRBWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:56 PM   #1979
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBWaffles View Post
Could anyone recommend a free multiband gate? If such a thing exists.
A few ReaGate used on a track along with JS band splitter/joiner plugins should do the trick.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:08 AM   #1980
vitalker

Djworx.com is giving away Xpand! 2 for everyone: http://djworx.com/everyone-is-a-winn...-worxmas-2016/
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #1981
ivansc

SHIT! I just paid a whole ONE POUND GB for it elsewhere.
I feel ravished....

Old 12-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #1982
BRBWaffles

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but here's a bit of a PSA. If you sort the KVR Plugin list by paid and cheapest, you get a bunch of different mistagged free plugins that aren't on the free list.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #1983
ThermalNoise

Not really free but almost.
https://www.trackspark.com/

I got some cool stuff from there for only 3 bucks a month.

Last edited by ThermalNoise; 01-06-2017 at 02:01 PM.
ThermalNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #1984
ThermalNoise

There's a compressor that i really like but isn't mentioned in this thread already i think.
https://www.audiodamage.com/pages/free-downloads

It sounds really nice especially if you really want to squish the shit out of something like a neuro bass.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:12 AM   #1985
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugh View Post
And this freebie is a fun tool when mixing. EZQ by Toneboosters.
Bump for this one, with new link here:

http://www.toneboosters.com/download/

Check the EULA box, scroll down to TB plugin bundle v2.9.1 download. It contains some free plugins, of which EZQ is one. (The "free" folder in the ZIP file has EZQ, Omnisone, Isone, TimeMachine.)

The idea with EZQ: it's a simple X/Y axis EQ with four quadrants: Tinny/Warm, Dark/Bright. Move the circle around the window to find a balance among these traits. It's not a surgical EQ and it won't be useful for everything, however adjusting this EQ on a particular track (which is really intuitive to do) while listening to the overall mix is a great way to make the track "fit better" in the context of the mix. It's something I thought I wouldn't use, but now it's one of my favorite plugins.

Their plugins overall are really good (especially the current versions), and although this thread is about freeware I find it hard to not recommend the TrackEssentials bundle as well as Barricade. These are relatively unassuming-looking plugins that punch well above their weight (in terms of price and CPU usage).
Old 01-14-2017, 09:58 PM   #1986
stratovarius

My apologies ahead of time if Flextron DC14 amp sim VST has been covered in this thread already.

I put up a review of it today at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUPFtb0cbZg

I consistently plug Reaper. I have no time or patience for or with other DAWs at this point and I can't see that changing any time soon. Flextron plays very nice inside Reaper.

Flextron can be downloaded here - http://www.soft-amp.com/flextron
stratovarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #1987
BRBWaffles

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good free tone generator vst? The JS tone generator doesn't seem as clean as tone generators I've used in the past. There is this gigantic oscillating noise floor in that plugin.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:33 PM   #1988
ThermalNoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBWaffles View Post
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good free tone generator vst? The JS tone generator doesn't seem as clean as tone generators I've used in the past. There is this gigantic oscillating noise floor in that plugin.
Maybe something like this?

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MOscillator
Old 01-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #1989
BRBWaffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermalNoise View Post
That's the next one I tried, yeah. Unfortunately the noise floor on that one is even worse, and seems to have gnarly distortion at around -100db or so. Maybe all tone generators are like that?
Old 01-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #1990
hamish

I compared the 'factory' JS oscillator with tale's (tale mono synth JS pack) one, but the noise floor seems exactly the same. (That was just for sines, assuming that's what your looking for)
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #1991
morfi

Very interested to know if there's a tone generator that beats Reaper's JS plug-in - even if it's not freeware. Thanks everybody.-
Old 01-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #1992
citizenkeith

Some great new JS effects have been posted here (and you can easily install them via ReaPack):
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=186554
Old 01-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #1993
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Bump for this one, with new link here:

http://www.toneboosters.com/download/
Thanks for this.
more interested in their non-free plugins than the free ones, though.
The licenses look as portable as the plugins, making this the first suitable x64 replacements I've seen for the Kjaerhus plugins.
I've liked them in the first testing stage, if they keep me happy in the second stage, I'll be paying the $20 they ask for the unlocked version of TB Track Essentials.

/
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:46 AM   #1994
lucas_LCS

Quote:
It took me a while to realize their reverb was my favorite..
The reveb and the delay in Module were my main interests at first, but I think the others will come in handy as well.

Quote:
If you're looking for compressors, consider the following from Airwindows (all are freeware/donationware):

Pressure4
Pyewacket
the Airwindows plugins don't feel like a good fit for me.
Will check them out again in the future

Quote:
For saturation/thickening/character:

Density
That's from Variety of Sound, correct?
I really like his plugins, but he thinks there is no need to update them to 64bit and I'm only looking for 64bit plugins that are transportable, do not use iLok or require an internet connection to install or use.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:53 AM   #1995
lucas_LCS

Not sure if I saw this on this thread or the other one, but the free Audified STA Delay from Ask.Audio is still available.
You will have to give an email address, some other info and sign up for the Ask.Audio newsletter to complete the free order.
I'm liking what I've heard from it so far and seems pretty easy to use.
I haven't tested the portability yet.

Audified also has a free Live Guitar and Bass Bundle LE.
This includes lite versions of AmpLion, GK Amplification and inTone 2 Solo.
Haven't tested this one yet, though and I'm pretty happy with the free versions of Amplitube, GUitarRig, PODFarm along with the LePou Amp sims.
The first 3 aren't portable, so there's room for the Audified plugins if they are mobile.

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 01-20-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #1996
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
the Airwindows plugins don't feel like a good fit for me.
Will check them out again in the future
I'm surprised you'd say that. I guess we all have our preferences...but have you tried the plugins?

I wouldn't expect you'd like them all. Some are a bit bizarre. But the ones I mentioned should have pretty broad appeal.

If you want a fancy looking GUI, you probably won't ever get one with Airwindows plugins. They're as barebones as it gets in the interface department. But there's intelligence behind how they work which is hard to deny once you give them a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
That's from Variety of Sound, correct?
No, that would be DensityIII in that case. I mean Airwindows' Density plugin.

I've moved away from VoS from the compressors/EQs/reverb, only keeping some of the saturation thingies like Tessla and Ferric. I prefer using Airwindows + Toneboosters for compressor and EQ functionality.

I've moved past expecting a compressor to work like a particular hardware unit, and instead choose the response/character that's appropriate. This can involve chaining a couple compressors in series sometimes, but with Airwindows + Toneboosters combined the CPU usage is minimal and this approach gets me the specific response I want with less struggle. It takes some learning to know what aspects you want, and in what degrees. So on the surface it might seem unappealing to work this way. I like it though.

VoS plugins work fine bridged. If you want the GUI to dock in the FX window like native 64-bit plugins, you can right-click the plugin (in the FX browser, before adding it to the track) and choose "run as->embed bridged UI".
Old 01-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #1997
lucas_LCS

Quote:
...but have you tried the plugins?
That's part of the problem, there are so many and I'm not really in 'discovery' mode right now.
I'm really just looking for 64bit replacements for plugins I've used for years.
I tried just using the plugins that come with Reaper and I am able to get ReaEQ, ReaComp and a couple of the limiters to do what I need without much trouble.
Unfortunately, with the reverbs and delays it's always a struggle to get them to do what I want and takes too much time just to get something acceptable.
The ToneBooster plugins just 'clicked' right away and I was getting what I wanted or at least, something I liked almost immediately.
Same for the Audified STA Delay.
I'll look at Airwindows again in the future when I feel like experimenting.
Density looks interesting, but I'd have to spend some time with it before determining how or when I might use it.

Quote:
I've moved past expecting a compressor to work like a particular hardware unit...
I've never really focused on that.
I can see where that might be useful, but I prefer a compressor be mostly transparent.

Quote:
VoS plugins work fine bridged.
true, but it adds an unwanted layer and another process running in the background.
Reaper appears to open a stripped down version of the Reaper 32bit to act as the bridge.
If I really need a 32bit plugin for something I will use it, I'm just moving forward on needing less and less of them and I'm very close now.

/
Old 01-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #1998
RCJacH

For Reverb,
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ori...-denis-tihanov
For Delay,
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/spa...usical-entropy
RCJacH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:11 PM   #1999
citizenkeith

Quote:
VoS plugins work fine bridged.
No, they really don't. And for those using macOS, they don't work at all. There's really no excuse for it. These plugins were built on a platform that is no longer supported. It's only a matter of time before they will not work at all.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:33 PM   #2000
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
No, they really don't. And for those using macOS, they don't work at all. There's really no excuse for it. These plugins were built on a platform that is no longer supported. It's only a matter of time before they will not work at all.
Yes, they do. Kidding aside, they work fine on my systems. Which plugin do you have a problem with, and what's the problem?

As for Mac: well, these aren't the first and won't be the last plugins developed only for PC. Anyone deciding on Mac over PC should be ready for this aspect; it's one of the first things they should consider (reduced software choices compared to PC). When I used a Mac, I knew what I was getting into. I don't blame people for asking him to make Mac versions, but it was his choice not to.

"No excuse"? LOL! He made free plugins; he didn't make a cent on them, and he did that on his own terms including declining donations many times. Besides, what excuse did you see him use? He made it clear he couldn't be bothered making them 64-bit (or for Mac), and considering they're free plugins I totally understand even if it would only have taken him 1 hour of time to make 64-bit (or Mac) versions of everything. He didn't owe anyone anything.

Yes it's a matter of time until they don't work at all. That however could be said about any software you're currently running (some will go obsolete faster than the rest). Besides, are you predicting a specific time Reaper drops 32-bit plugin support?