Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
politcat
Human being with feelings

Default M-Audio Axiom and Reaper

(NOTE: i've changed my use of the Axiom with Reaper even more. see post #99 on page 3)

i've been meaning to post this for Axiom 25 users. maybe some will benefit from this thread. If any interest develops i'll go into more detail

contrary to what some others have said on this forum, the Axiom is very useful and adaptable, if you know how to program it with Reaper.

I recently changed the way i've been using my Axiom 25 with reaper. the main change for me is simply using more than one midi channel for controlling tracks and plugins.

I have 2 presets on the Axiom dedicated to Reaper:

preset 1 - knobs control track vol and pads control solo on/off. midi ch.1 is for control of tracks 1-8, ch.2 for control of tracks 9-16 etc.. I don't program pan because I don't like reaper's pan functionality (i use Flux STTool for true stereo panning, i.e., my preset 2)

preset 2 - knobs control fx parameters. Midi ch.1 controls the 1st 8 parameters, ch.2 controls parameters 9-16 etc.

I also use it for envelopes.

i'm just trying to avoid using the mouse

so, all I have to do is change preset and/or midi channel on the Axiom (both quick and easy) to access whatever I want to control inside reaper

setup depends entirely on user preference and work flow. I don't use Enigma for any of the programming. I find it's easier to do it directly from the Axiom

I really like the Axiom

Last edited by politcat; 09-19-2012 at 07:13 AM.
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
drybij

great tips - i'll try them on my axiom 49!! thanks!
drybij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
thouston

Thanks for the tips, I also have a Axiom 25. I finally figured out how to map the transport keys, and have started creating presets.
thouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
politcat

don't forget to map the transport buttons to work on every midi channel. Just change channels and add in Actions
Old 12-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
thouston

Quote:
Originally Posted by politcat View Post
don't forget to map the transport buttons to work on every midi channel. Just change channels and add in Actions
Wow, I didn't think of that either. I'm a guitarist, but knew what MIDI was, the A-25 is really my first MIDI based instrument.

I did manage to record a track for a friend's student video project 'Sly's Roof' http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8457433
thouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
shaun5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by drybij View Post
great tips - i'll try them on my axiom 49!! thanks!
+2....I have an Axiom 49 too.....looks like I have some homework ;-)
Old 08-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
DeyBwah

Does anyone have a resource or guide to using MIDI controllers in general? My understanding is very basic. For example, I set up my rotary knobs 1-8 to control the panning of tracks 1-8. But how would I control panning for tracks 9-16? I feel like there should be a way to change 'pages' so to speak... so the rotary knobs send a different CC message? But I don't know how to... <busts open the manual> :P
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah
DeyBwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
politcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
For example, I set up my rotary knobs 1-8 to control the panning of tracks 1-8. But how would I control panning for tracks 9-16?
I change MIDI channels

ch. 1 controls 1-8
ch. 2 controls 9-16
ch. 3 controls 17-24
etc...
Old 08-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Gidcumb73

I have an Axiom 49 Pro that I have been playing around with as well. I have started programming some of the functions, but have not even come close to the full potential. Like DeyBwah, and some of the other members, I am struggling with MIDI. If anybody wants to work on this together let me know. I would like to maximize the full potential of this keyboard controller.
Gidcumb73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
DeyBwah

Quote:
I change MIDI channels

ch. 1 controls 1-8
ch. 2 controls 9-16
ch. 3 controls 17-24
etc...
Wouldn't changing channels affect my key assignments though?

Hmm maybe I'm going about this all wrong.

I think I'll need to have a preset for DAW/mixing and a separate preset for performance/playing VSTi's.

Maybe that's a no-brainer for others, but I was really looking forward to having both on 1 preset. I guess having to switch between isn't THAT big of a hassle. Or at least, I should start that way, and maybe down the road as I get more comfortable, I could start to really organize how I'm routing my MIDI signals.

It seems like a lot of people are having trouble with MIDI in general. I just started reading this book, Basic MIDI (http://www.amazon.com/Basic-MIDI-Mus...2077652&sr=8-1) by Paul White. It's GREAT. Tiny little book that explains MIDI to musicians. There's just enough technical information in it to explain the practical information.
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah
DeyBwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:17 AM   #11
Elevenchains

Quote:
i've been meaning to post this for Axiom 25 users. maybe some will benefit from this thread. If any interest develops i'll go into more detail

contrary to what some others have said on this forum, the Axiom is very useful and adaptable, if you know how to program it with Reaper.

I recently changed the way i've been using my Axiom 25 with reaper. the main change for me is simply using more than one midi channel for controlling tracks and plugins.

I have 2 presets on the Axiom dedicated to Reaper:

preset 1 - knobs control track vol and pads control solo on/off. midi ch.1 is for control of tracks 1-8, ch.2 for control of tracks 9-16 etc.. I don't program pan because I don't like reaper's pan functionality (i use Flux STTool for true stereo panning, i.e., my preset 2)

preset 2 - knobs control fx parameters. Midi ch.1 controls the 1st 8 parameters, ch.2 controls parameters 9-16 etc.

I also use it for envelopes.

i'm just trying to avoid using the mouse

so, all I have to do is change preset and/or midi channel on the Axiom (both quick and easy) to access whatever I want to control inside reaper

setup depends entirely on user preference and work flow. I don't use Enigma for any of the programming. I find it's easier to do it directly from the Axiom

I really like the Axiom
Could you please explain what you did to configure your presets that way. I'm sure that would be of great help for many newbies!
Elevenchains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
politcat

Reaper and Axiom
(NOTE: i've changed my use of the Axiom with Reaper. see post #99 on page 3 for more ideas)

Use 2 presets in Axiom. Preset 1 for controlling tracks and preset 2 for controlling FX parameters

In Reaper
--Options > Preferences > Midi Devices
--In the top part, MIDI Inputs, you should see your MIDI device
--Right click and select both Enable Input and Enable Input for control messages
--BOTH must be checked if you want to use your keyboard's sliders and knobs, as well as use it as a keyboard

Note: To keep the faders/parameters from jumping in reaper choose Relative 1 when assigning a knob to an action

Volume control of tracks (preset 1)
In Axiom:
--for each knob program Ctrl Assign to CC 147
--program Data 2 to CC 46-53 (knobs 1-8 respectively)
--program Chan Assign to 00
--store Axiom preset...DON'T FORGET THIS STEP!

In Reaper:
--open actions list and locate and click "Track: Set volume for track n (midi CC only)"
--click Add
--turn respective knob on Axiom
--for MIDI CC choose Relative 1
--click OK

Solo control of tracks (preset 1)
In Axiom:

--for each pad program Ctrl Assign to CC 147
--program Data 1 to Note 0-7 (pad 1-8 respectively)
--store Axiom preset

In Reaper:
--open actions list and locate and click "Track: Toggle Solo for track n"
--click Add
--hit respective pad on Axiom
--click OK

For Pan control (preset 3) use CCs 102-109 and follow the same instructions for each knob

Note: in case it isn't obvious, if you have a track with a soft synth in record ready mode that's receiving midi input from all channels you'll trigger a pitch whenever you solo on/off a track. a very low pitch. To avoid this use channel 16 for the synth

to access more than 8 tracks change midi channels and repeat the "In Reaper" steps above for up to 99 tracks (reaper limit at the moment)

Controlling FX parameters (preset 2)
In Axiom:

--program Data 2 to CC 12-19 (knobs 1-8 respectively)
--store Axiom preset

In Reaper:
--move or touch an FX parameter in the gui
--click Param > Learn (top of fx window)
--turn control knob on Axiom
--for CC mode choose Relative 1
--check Enable only when effect configuration is focused
--click OK

to use this configuration whenever you insert the fx plugin in a project go to Param > Default controller mappings > Save as default

as with tracks, to access more than 8 parameters change midi channels and repeat the steps above

Last edited by politcat; 09-19-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
plgrmsprgrs

politcat - I think I can actually follow that! Thanks very much.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
set.

Yep, that was of great help! Thanks!
If it's ok to ask related questions here:
First, I couldn't figure out how to map events like MediaKbdPlay - I set my keyboard up to send MMC messages, but I can't reassign any of them in the Actions panel. For example I want to change Transport: Play/pause from MediaKbdPlayPause to MediaKbdPlay because there is no PlayPause MMC message, only two seperate ones: PLAY (02) and PAUSE (09).
Unlike other Midi controllers, pressing the button doesn't cause it to show up in the Edit Shortcut panel, and neither copying nor typing works. It's not that important to me, but I wonder if anyone could give me a hint here.

Sorry for the not-so-perfect english and possible confusion!
set. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #15
vkvirra

I'm bit new with my Axiom 25 and have assigned trasport buttons so far. However I have problems correctly assigning pads to be able to play drums (I use EZDrummer electronic) with them. For channel which have EZDrummer VSTi I've set it to receive input from all Midi channels.

In Enigma I've assigned and send 'Axiom 25 defaults' to keyboard. In reaper looking at the midi editor pads play notes between C4-C5. In Enigma I have following values for e.g. Pad 2:

Name: Pad2
MIDI CC: 147
Parameter: Note On/Off
Channel: 10
On velocity: 127
Off velocity: 0
Note: 38

'Note' value is only which is different between each pad but changing 'Note' value don't have any effect what's played in reaper. Anyone successfully controlling EZDrummer with pads?
vkvirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:34 AM   #16
Gidcumb73

Quote:
Reaper and Axiom

In Axiom:

Solo control of tracks (preset 1)
In Axiom:

--for each pad program Ctrl Assign to CC 147
--program Data 1 to Note 0-7 (pad 1-8 respectively)
--store Axiom preset

Controlling FX parameters (preset 2)
In Axiom:

--program Data 2 to CC 12-19 (knobs 1-8 respectively)
--store Axiom preset
It was actually in this thread. There was several posts by Politcat, which I am thankful for because it did help me get started with programming the Axiom. One of his posts listed several step by step instructions, some of which reference a cc value of 147. See the quotes above. I was/am still confused by these items, hence why I still don't have the encoders/sliders programmed like I would like.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #17
politcat

you can assign 152 CCs

Old 08-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #18
Gidcumb73

Thanks Politcat,

It is funny that no matter how many times you read through something (i.e. the Axiom manual) there is always something you miss. So, the encoders have CC ranges that run from 0 through 152. The normal MIDI CC values that are used by all MIDI programs are 0 through 127. The additional CC values (i.e. 128 through 152) are only available on the Axiom encoder knobs and can be used to program additional functionality as needed. Where does this value show up? When I spin an encoder and watch the Axiom display screen it only shows values from 0 through 127. Does this additional CC range only show when in Reaper in the Action List while assigning an encoder to an action?
Old 08-29-2010, 03:40 AM   #19
Hamberger4

Quote:
Reaper and Axiom

In Axiom:

In Reaper:
--open actions list and locate and click "Track: Set volume for track n (midi CC only)"
--click Add
--click OK

Just tried to program one of the A25 encoders for volume as described.
When I turn the encoder clockwise the volume increases (as expected)
However when I turn the encoder anti-clockwise the volume continues to rise
I’m obviously missing something.
Any suggestions?
Many thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:47 AM   #20
politcat

Hamberger4

make sure you select relative 1 for MIDI CC
Old 08-29-2010, 08:13 AM   #21
Hamberger4

Thanks for that.
I did set that up in Reaper origionaly.
I have now gone through the proceedure again and all is well.
Thanks again
Old 07-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #22
jollyjimbo

Default Axiom-Pro 49/REAPER

[QUOTE=politcat;438009]Reaper and Axiom

In Reaper:
--click Add
--click OK

Ok, I'm kind of a MIDI noob, but with my Axiom-Pro 49, setting MIDI CC to "Relative 1" in REAPER causes for some sloppy slider action. However, if I set MIDI CC to "Absolute" in REAPER, it performs just as good as if HyperControl were built into REAPER. I'm not trying to start trouble or anything, I'm just saying that if at first you don't succeed (following the directions, of course) EXPERIMENT! By the way, Politcat, if it were not for YOUR little tutorial, I would still by trying to figure it out. I ended up using different channels than in the tutorial, but it's just a personal ease of use issue there. Other than the disagreement over channel selection (MINOR) and MIDI CC Relative/MIDI CC Absolute (Not so minor, but we all work on different things) I've followed the instructions and been successful... Thanks Politcat/everyone else who posted knowledge. I think REAPER is gonna replace Cubase for me!
jollyjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #23
politcat

hey jollyjimbo,
by explaining my setup in detail i hoped people would better understand how the axiom works with reaper. so, once understood, it can be changed to suit individual preferences. newer generations definitely require experimentation

glad to hear it helped
Old 08-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #24
pyerbass

if it can help or inspire, here is mine:

prest 1 to 3 are for vst

no double cc, so i can control a full vst like minimoogV whitout mouse
ex:
- preset 1 for vcf, eg and play control like glide, ployphony,...
- preser 2 for vco control
- preset 3 for modulations and embeded fx

preset 4 for reaper

- faders for volume (1-8 for ch1, 9-16 for ch2, ...)
- buttons under are for selecting track (1-8 for ch1, 9-16 for ch2, ...)
- Last fader to move the play cursor all along the screen
- last button for view mixer
- knobs in rnp mode
1 zoom view horiz
2 zoom view vert
3 pan for sel track
4 vol for sel track
5 scroll view horiz
6 scroll view vert
7 width for sel track
8 fine scroll play cursor

- pads are controls for sel track

1 solo
2 mute
3 phase
4 fx bp
5 rec arm
6 toggle monitoring mode
7 toggle auto mode
8 vew fx window

- transport buttons affected as it should be exepted << and >>, they are for next and prev track

* special trick for channel 16: every faders are for selected tracks send volume, and every knobs are for fx par
pyerbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:47 AM   #25
G-Sun

So, I've got an Axiom25 1st gen
and would like to
- Have all midi keys/knobs/pads on ch1
- Have transport on ch 15 or 16, mapped to target cc
- Optional map encoders to different cc (think I'll manage this)

I believe I got the right manual,
but, it's rather complicated to me.

Can I set transport/groupB to a dedicated channel
or do I need to use global for that?
Then groupA to channel?

Last edited by G-Sun; 10-27-2016 at 05:09 AM.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #26
G-Sun

Ok,
set global to ch15
zone1 ch1
zone2 ch2
zone3 ch3

Now, how do I change midi cc for transport and knobs?

Ok, got it
(turn knob, adv., ctrl ass, cc number)

Last edited by G-Sun; 10-27-2016 at 08:14 AM.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote