Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 AM   #1
buckman
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Video Preview freezing after 2-4 seconds?

I am using latest Reaper (windows 10), and just want to edit a simple video by putting some music behind it and rendering out.

Why does Reaper's video window freeze everytime after about 3-4 seconds in, and the music carries on playing??
How are you meant to edit anything in video, or music to a certain point if the video is frozen?

I have the codecs all installed and want to export a .mov file
This seems to work, but my video won't play in order to see the end, etc. Its all just guesswork at the moment in Reaper?

I have tried this also on a much faster Mac and it freezes there too after 3-4 seconds in playing a project, regardless of the video?

Last edited by buckman; 02-11-2019 at 04:47 AM.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
buckman

I just cannot use Reaper at all for this simple task? so frustrating..

I import a .mov file and it only plays 2 seconds then freezes until I stop start again and it does it again?

How do you get smooth playback in video in Reaper?
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #3
vitalker

It is probably because your hardware isn't so powerful to deal with a video. Try to change video resolution in project settings or use a video processor to limit video size.
Update: Eliseat is right. Version 5.966 will bring a lot of performance optimizations.
SoundCloudFR: True Non-destructive GLUEAll the REAPER names

Last edited by vitalker; 02-11-2019 at 09:11 AM.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I am using latest Reaper (windows 10), and just want to edit a simple video by putting some music behind it and rendering out.

Why does Reaper's video window freeze everytime after about 3-4 seconds in, and the music carries on playing??
How are you meant to edit anything in video, or music to a certain point if the video is frozen?

I have the codecs all installed and want to export a .mov file
This seems to work, but my video won't play in order to see the end, etc. Its all just guesswork at the moment in Reaper?

I have tried this also on a much faster Mac and it freezes there too after 3-4 seconds in playing a project, regardless of the video?
The new Reaper update 5.966 with lots of video optimizations is already in pre-release state. You should wait a few days and try it with the new version. You also could change your decoder in Reaper. Some prefer VLC, others - like me - feel better with ffmpeg. If you don't know how to set up your decoder or to change video settings in general, feel free to ask or watch Kenny's videos on Youtube.

Greetings
Eli