Old 04-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
IReap
Human being with feelings

Default Specific question about FX (plugin) and scripting

Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie to Reaper and just started my career as a developer (so I'm pretty new to that as well).

I am wondering if it's possible to get control over which format of a plugin (VST, VST3 or AU) to load to a track using script. I've used the function 'RPR_TrackFX_GetByName' from the built in API but it defaults to VST and only takes the name of the plugin as an argument (string). I need more control than that.

I've got some tips from the awesomde dude that runs Reaper blog. He gave me some tips like giving each plugin an ID and use that to call each plugin.

The problem is that this program I'm working on is to be used in a automated test context. Meaning I strive to have an automated test without any manual "setups" needed. I want to be able to send this script to an arbitrary user/computer with the only requirements they have this plugin suite I'm testing and Reaper installed. The end user should be able to import this script and press Run.

While the setup of ID's might be the only way to do it? It makes a pretty simple task a bit complicated and a reason of concern regarding maintainabilty etc. Which is always a risk scripting these kind of frameworks.

I mainly use Python at this point.

Hope to get feedback from you guys!

Regards
IReap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:46 AM   #2
IReap

No workarounds?

In short, I need to be able to call all different installed formats (AU, VST2 and VST3) via Reascript. Impossible?

I hope a bump is considered ok!
IReap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:56 AM   #3
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by IReap View Post
No workarounds?

In short, I need to be able to call all different installed formats (AU, VST2 and VST3) via Reascript. Impossible?

I hope a bump is considered ok!
Have you tried putting VST or VST3 or AU in front of the name?

edit : nope, that does not work. However, that API does not select VST by default, seems to be based on some other criteria. (For me it instantiates Exponential Audio's R2 plugin as VST3 by default on Windows.)