Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
SEA
Human being with feelings

Default What's The Best Software To Backup You Daw?

I just upgraded to Acronis True Image 2015, but I heard some bad reviews and one of the end-users said to use Macrium Reflect.

I want to not only back up my entire drives BUT I also want to make a Clone drive that if my OS drive with all my programs ever crashed, I could plug in and be back to work ASAP.

The clone drive should also be able to be used on a 2nd DAW (if I ever build one) that I can simply plug into my next computer with the same components and then be up and running without having to spend weeks reinstalling software, VSTs, etc.

So... has anyone tried these programs? Is there another program you prefer?

Also I see the Macrium Reflect Free addition. Will that make a bootable clone drive as well?

Thanks!

SEA

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
bluzkat

I've been using TruImage for several years and I've never had a problem with it. You can 'image' the whole hard drive with it and/or also do incremental backups.

I'm not familiar with the other software you mentioned, so you're on your own!

Old 11-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
I've been using TruImage for several years and I've never had a problem with it. You can 'image' the whole hard drive with it and/or also do incremental backups.

I'm not familiar with the other software you mentioned, so you're on your own!

Have you ever made a Clone drive where if your OS drive crashed
you could plug it in and be up in running using True Image? If so, did you ever test it by booting off of it and running your computer from it?

Also with True Image can you restore a particular file from the
Archive Backup vs. The whole backup?

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
alanofoz

I've been using Macrium Reflect Free for quite a while to create images of my system drives. Works perfectly for me. A restored image is bootable. Can't compare it with any competitor, except none offer any extra feature that I want. "Free" is compelling.

A bit OT:
For day to day backups I use SyncBack SE. There are competitors that are probably equally good. The important thing here is backing up versions of your files (which the free programs probably don't). Without versions you only have half a backup IMHO.

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
alanofoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
you could plug it in and be up in running using True Image? If so, did you ever test it by booting off of it and running your computer from it?

Thanks!
For Macrium Reflect Free, yes, yes and yes. For particular files you can mount an image which then behaves like another drive. You can then browse to any file and open/copy/etc it.

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
grinder

I just use Paragon (free with windows 7 ?)for my system I copy all the rest inc audio files to my exterior back up disk.
Paragon system back up worked great I found out when my primary drive packed up.

Grinder

https://soundcloud.com/steve-maitland-1/kicking-about
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
ivansc

I usually use TI - havent backed up / mirrored my system drive since I went to the new system! NAUGHTY!

But all my projects and software serial numbers and auth codes are safely backed up already.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
serr

Quote:
I just upgraded to Acronis True Image 2015, but I heard some bad reviews and one of the end-users said to use Macrium Reflect.

I want to not only back up my entire drives BUT I also want to make a Clone drive that if my OS drive with all my programs ever crashed, I could plug in and be back to work ASAP.

The clone drive should also be able to be used on a 2nd DAW (if I ever build one) that I can simply plug into my next computer with the same components and then be up and running without having to spend weeks reinstalling software, VSTs, etc.

So... has anyone tried these programs? Is there another program you prefer?

Also I see the Macrium Reflect Free addition. Will that make a bootable clone drive as well?

Thanks!

SEA
I've used Carbon Copy Cloner for years now. It's not free anymore but only $40. Exact (and bootable) clones of your system drives. Schedule daily backups, etc, etc, etc.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
JHughes
Banned

I use Windows 7's built-in image tool.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
I use Windows 7's built-in image tool.
Have you ever made a bootable clone drive and tested it to
see if it will work using Win 7 image tool?

See... It can SAY it did it BUT the proof is booting and running all your software with it.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #11
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I've used Carbon Copy Cloner for years now. It's not free anymore but only $40. Exact (and bootable) clones of your system drives. Schedule daily backups, etc, etc, etc.
Have you ever tested the clone drive or
Had a OS Crashed and used the clone as the new OS drive?

Old 11-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
JHughes
Banned

Quote:
Have you ever made a bootable clone drive and tested it to
see if it will work using Win 7 image tool?

See... It can SAY it did it BUT the proof is booting and running all your software with it.
Yes, it works perfectly.

<edit> No, I didn't make a bootable clone drive, I re-imaged a drive from an image on a backup drive.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #13
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
Yes, it works perfectly.

<edit> No, I didn't make a bootable clone drive, I re-imaged a drive from an image on a backup drive.
Hmmm.... why not try using Win 7 image tools to make a clone drive from scratch and see if you can run your computer off of it with all programs intact? To me, that's the "acid test"

Also, if Win 7 image tools can do it all, then why use True Image, Macrium, or other software?

In other words... what does the other software have that Win 7 image tools doesn't?

Old 11-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
bluzkat

Quote:

Thanks!
TruImage will 'clone' a drive, I'm not sure what you're asking about 'testing' but its always a good idea to test your backups to be sure they work.

In TruImage you can 'mount' the image file and access any file you want (great feature!), you don't have to restore the whole backup.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #15
JHughes
Banned

Quote:
Hmmm.... why not try using Win 7 image tools to make a clone drive from scratch and see if you can run your computer off of it with all programs intact? To me, that's the "acid test"

Also, if Win 7 image tools can do it all, then why use True Image, Macrium, or other software?

In other words... what does the other software have that Win 7 image tools doesn't?
IIRC, Image tools didn't exist in Windows until Windows 7, so IOW, MS was just very late to the party.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #16
grinder

Here you go
http://www.paragon-software.com/home.../download.html
Worked for me too!
Look under specifications etc windows 8 etc too.

Grinder

Old 11-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #17
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
TruImage will 'clone' a drive, I'm not sure what you're asking about 'testing' but its always a good idea to test your backups to be sure they work.

What I mean about testing is:

1. Create a clone of your OS drive with all your programs

2. Disconnect your OS drive and connect your Clone drive.

3. See if your system boots up from the clone drive with all your programs and VSTs is running smooth as silk so you don't miss a beat in your work day.

Now, you could probably just go into your BIOS and tell your computer to boot off the clone drive
without physically disconnecting and then connect the clone drive in it's place, but it would be sweet if you did. Just like if you had a real drive crash.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #18
serr

Disk Utility in OSX will make a bootable exact clone disk image too. The nice thing about CCC is the features to schedule regular backups for multiple drives.

Quote:
See if your system boots up from the clone drive with all your programs and VSTs is running smooth as silk so you don't miss a beat in your work day.
The thing that can come up is an app that queries the serial number of the hardware disk drive itself. So even though you have a bit for bit clone of the volume, the serial number of the hardware drive will obviously be different. This hardware s/n query is done to prevent someone simply cloning a drive to get around copy protection. (Apps can check logic board serial numbers too.)

So make sure you keep a copy of your license registration authorization serial number codes. I keep a simple running text file with the authorization codes for everything. Copy/paste.

Last edited by serr; 11-28-2014 at 08:11 PM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #19
Tommy V

I've been using Acronis TrueImage for several years now. It's great for cloning the OS drive to a greater capacity drive, as well as backups in general. A bit quirky on the incremental naming though, sometimes it will name the file xx(#) (with parenthesis) and sometimes it will name it xx# (without parenthesis). A bug, no doubt, but an inconsequential one.

TrueImage used to have an invaluable feature called "Try & Decide", a temporary virtual environment to test programs in ... a 'sandbox' if you will ... which when activated, will survive indefinite reboots until deactivated. At that time you have the option to either accept or reject all the changes made to the system since activation.

This feature is no longer available in the latest TrueImage 2015, much to my consternation ... as it was the single most useful feature in TI, other than the backups. Especially in a DAW environment, where one misbehaving program/plugin/etc can bring the whole deal crashing down.
I use it all the time to test installations of (mainly free) VSTi's and such, and have nixed many an installation if I didn't like the way it operated or behaved. Gone without a trace, no fingerprints in the registry or otherwise. Much much easier and quicker than a full backup and restore.

Having said this, True Image 2015 is not on my upgrade list ... I'll stick with the 2012 version, thank you.

Tommy V
Old 11-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #20
grinder

All I can say Paragon saved me.....

Grinder

Old 11-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #21
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned AOMEI Backupper yet. I used Acronis for years but have recently switched over to AOMEI. The free edition does everything most people will ever need and far more than some paid software.

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html
Old 11-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #22
carbon

Default RecImage

Has anybody here used RecImage?
https://www.slimwareutilities.com/recimg_manager.php

There is a SlimImage beta somewhere for files/folders backup.