Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Eyes
Human being with feelings

Default The V4 MIDI Reafinement Thread

The purpose of this thread is to replace the old sticky midi request thread. Please post any midi FR's/behaviour changes in this thread they will be added to the first post so we have an index of popular requests.

Please make sure all FR's actually have an entry in the tracker; Just posting it in here is not enough.

Feature requests:
MIDI Filter Events Box: Allow multiple MIDI items to be selected, simultaneously
New MIDI Editor reuse mode - "Reuse MIDI editor automatically"
CC Lane event editing (Shift-Left/Drag)
Snap Offset handle for MIDI Notes (optional)
Midi Editor Navigator

Behaviour reafinements:
Midi Editor: Remember last used zoom/stable zooming
Predictable midi content of items

Bugs
Solo leaves orphaned MIDI notes hanging for ever!
MIDI is displayed inaccurately in both the Media Explorer and arrangement window

Last edited by Eyes; 06-16-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Eyes

I am going to try to link midi FR's to this thread over the next couple of days, if anyone could help by posting their FR's or more common request links it would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:21 AM   #3
yevster

Default Whole-track MIDI actions

I just submitted two FRs. Since Reaper's MIDI workflow is very clip-centric, and makes it much more difficult to manipulate entire instrumental parts compared to other DAWs (such as Sonar), I submitted FRs for two track actions:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3471 - Open selected track(s) in MIDI editor and
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3472 - Glue all items in selected track(s) in MIDI editor.

By using these actions, a user can combine and manipulate whole tracks full of MIDI events without having to find and select every single MIDI clip.
yevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Changing the work paradigm for MIDI from item-based to track-based should be a priority. This would mean that we would always see the whole track in the MIDI editor, and MIDI items would just be "clips", sections of the track that are copyable, etc.

Then, Cockos SHOULD allow developers registering their actions in other contexts than Main, so that we could have new MIDI Editor actions in the corresponding Actions list context. Workarounds are not nice.

We should be able to decrease the width of left-side piano roll graphic, to gain more space.

Load Scales dialog does not remember last visited folder. I don't want it to look in REAPER Resources/Data, I created my own folder, REAPER Resources/Scales, that I want it to look into.

The Scale button should change its width according to the scale name length.

MIDI Filter should be dockable to MIDI Editor (this is coming, according to schwa's words).
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:41 AM   #5
pitpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
We should be able to decrease the width of left-side piano roll graphic, to gain more space.
Man, i totally agree! This option would be really great. The current keyboard layout takes up valuable space on my laptop screen. Even an option to totally hide the keyboard would help!

Is there a FR for this?
pitpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
Mak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpat View Post
Man, i totally agree! This option would be really great. The current keyboard layout takes up valuable space on my laptop screen. Even an option to totally hide the keyboard would help!

Is there a FR for this?
Very good suggestion.

I would suggest than the ways to increase midi workspace should by a specific topic.

There are more ways to increase the midi workspace. What do you think about use transparency to increase the workspace ? The midi workspace (when i am talking about midi workspace, it's just the screen where i put the note on) can be divided in layers. The midi workpace layer, the editing options layers..

For example, Just by keep keyb ctrl on, a floating menu may appear to edit midi. By relax the ctrl, the full workspace goes back.

Using floating menu / dynamic workspace divided by layers could a complete new visual experience in reaper. It would preserve a maximum workspace. It could be visualy revolutionary.

What do you think about ?

(sorry for my bad english guys)
Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #7
Zblogny

Quote:
Changing the work paradigm for MIDI from item-based to track-based should be a priority. This would mean that we would always see the whole track in the MIDI editor, and MIDI items would just be "clips", sections of the track that are copyable, etc.
Is there a FR for this ?
I would vote yes, if I have not already done so, but I do not remember...
Zblogny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #8
EvilDragon

This one is going halfways there: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2739
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
run, megalodon

Quote:
Yeah, I'd love to see this somehow. My dream for making midi based compositions in Reaper is to work solely in the editor, switching between tracks whenever I please, seeing the ghosted data of the other tracks as is now possible with the filter, but also moving about however I please in time, not worrying about clip boundaries or creating clips in order to begin working.

Last edited by run, megalodon; 08-08-2011 at 03:41 PM.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
Lawrence

They'll get to it I'm sure. It appears as if Reaper will be in development for many more years so given that, not much that isn't viable or possible along the way.

In the meantime working with midi is a little clumsier than it probably should be in some cases but they'll work it all out.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
XITE-1/4LIVE

Quote:
Totally agree. I dont need the names of my cymbals or a virtual board, just give me space.
Or make it so we can drag the edit area over it like I already do in the Main Reaper window.

It's another reason why Grey Matters Vertical Collapse of the tracks in the TCP is such a treat.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #12
Mr. Data

Could we possibly bump this (maybe once a day ), 'cos I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) think, that Reaper still lacks some basic MIDI functions, not to talk about more complex ones?

Maybe a sticky would be appropriate.

Looking at "Today's posts" today, I was appalled to see that it already slipped back to the third page.

-Data
Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by XITE-1/4LIVE View Post
Or make it so we can drag the edit area over it like I already do in the Main Reaper window.
That's a good idea actually. Beyond mapping names for drums or clicking a key to hear a sound... is a keyboard graphic even really necessary for midi editing or is it something people just expect to see?
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #14
ivansc

Quote:
Just this on its own would make my life soooo much easier, almost to the point of allowing me to stop using my elderly Amiga for sequencing MIDI.

This and mono tracks as an option....

*sigh*
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Just this on its own would make my life soooo much easier, almost to the point of allowing me to stop using my elderly Amiga for sequencing MIDI.

This and mono tracks as an option....

*sigh*
Yeah. I'd like that. I've been thinking about slaving Reaper to Sonar for my midi.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #16
stumpbroke1

Quote:

Then, Cockos SHOULD allow developers registering their actions in other contexts than Main, so that we could have new MIDI Editor actions in the corresponding Actions list context. Workarounds are not nice.

Load Scales dialog does not remember last visited folder. I don't want it to look in REAPER Resources/Data, I created my own folder, REAPER Resources/Scales, that I want it to look into.

MIDI Filter should be dockable to MIDI Editor (this is coming, according to schwa's words).
YES! definitely like track based midi over item based.....
stumpbroke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:55 AM   #17
Pac

Default MIDI Assign mode + MIDI Data on track templates

Hello,

There are a lot of good ideas in this thread. I especially like the snap offset FR.

Here's another one, rather relating to CC:

- Inspired by Ableton Live, wouldn't it be great to the same thing in Reaper, i.e. a switch for a midi assign mode, in which you can map any visible function to a midi device just by first clicking the function and then turn the knob/ move the fader on that device?
This would mean:
Click Midi Assign Mode Button > Click function button > Turn knob > Click Midi Assign Mode Button again...done.
Until now it's like:
Open the action list editor > search for function > Mark it > Click "Add" >
> Move fader/Turn knob > Click OK > Close Action List Editor.

And another one:

- It would be great to be able to save MIDI Data along with track templates. In electronic music, you nearly always have the same position for Kick, Snare and Open Hats. It's rather annoying to insert a track from template and then always having to: Insert midi item, Switch note visualization to triangles, paste a Bass on 1.1, 1.2 1.3 etc.

I apologize if these are old topics. I didn't read all FR's.
Pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #18
donchilcott

Quote:

Please- Please -Please listen to these requests. I use midi a lot... I just want to be able to highlight sections of tracks, whole tracks, several tracks etc and be able to do simple edits, Quantize, Transpose,Volocity, etc. like I do in Sonar...
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #19
Cresta

wow, wish everything stated in this thread will someday actually be implemented in Reaper
Cresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #20
PitchSlap

Feature requests:
-Transpose MIDI from the Media Explorer. Allowing ANY MIDI file to be previewed in context with the current project.

Behavior reafinements:
-Predictable midi content of items...
proportional view according to the content inside the midi

-Allow quantizing MIDI from the main window.

-Allow gluing without committing quantization.

-Actions to show all CC lanes with data, and hide the ones that don't.

Bugs
-Solo leaves orphaned MIDI notes hanging for ever!

This was the biggest regression in v4 MIDI. It's been broken for about 30 builds now.

-Another big bug related to basic functionality is that MIDI is displayed inaccurately in both the Media Explorer and arrangement window.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 08-11-2011 at 06:38 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #21
mikeroephonics

FR: 'MIDI Editor: Snap Offset handle for MIDI Notes (optional)'
VOTE: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3487

Old 08-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
Mr. Data

Here is an FR I posted some time ago. It could be a versatile MIDI filter and manipulator, which somewhat is leaned on Cubase's Logical Editor. It contains a simple groove editor as well and possibilities to fill items with single notes (or other events) and/or arpeggios. The graphical interface, however, might not be that appealing since it is based on the early V3 MIDI editor, where there was much unused space at the top of it (the space that now holds the toolbar).

-Data
Old 09-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #23
G-Sun

Bahviour:
Some times screensets are not saving the Midi Editor Window properly
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #24
stumpbroke1

Default MFX

MFX support, please...please....please!
stumpbroke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #25
kongwee

I used a lot of sample key switching. I need to see incoming note from my keyboard. I can't find anywhere. Preferably beside the transport bar. This keep me from doing midi stuff from Reaper.
kongwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #26
buoya

As far as I can see the big ones that stand out for me are..

- MIDI notes snap to visible grid option.
- Resizable Piano Roll
- Removing the piano role from inline editing(You cant add in the first note of the bar because the pianos there..)
- Having each key occupy a seperate grid lane for clarity. I think if your drawing things in a grid in MIDI theres absolutley no need to represent the overlap of the black keys it just makes it a bit confusing to matchup what note you are drawing in.
buoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #27
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buoya View Post
As far as I can see the big ones that stand out for me are..

- Resizable Piano Roll
- Removing the piano role from inline editing(You cant add in the first note of the bar because the pianos there..)
- Having each key occupy a seperate grid lane for clarity. I think if your drawing things in a grid in MIDI theres absolutley no need to represent the overlap of the black keys it just makes it a bit confusing to matchup what note you are drawing in.
your last one, i think would be an easy fix in a image editor, for like 5 minutes. especially if that image editore is illustrator, and photoshop would be quite fast also.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #28
TimU

Per take pitch envelopes should control midi pitch imo
TimU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #29
Gargaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by buoya View Post
- Resizable Piano Roll
I know this is a 1.5y post, but were there steps towards these issues? MIDI notes not snapping to visible grid (especially during inline editing) are driving me nuts.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #30
IOM

Default Generic MIDI Remote

I read that many of Reaper users are requesting this feature. Just a ++1 for the Generic Midi remote. It would be super awesome to use what ever midi controller with Reaper. I controlled Cubase with my DM-24 and it was flawless. I could use a total of 16 faders x7 just to mix my tracks. It's a shame I cannot do that in Reaper. For Tascam DM-24 there is only one half developed .dll which works as a Mackie HUI emulator but I'm not that fond of it because it has only 8 tracks on one DM-24 layer not 16. Please make this customizable GMR and Reaper is perfect for me and many other users I hope!
IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #31
UnderwaterSunlight

i definitely agree with the statement above.
one thing that makes me go back to cubase often is the lack of generic remote surface capability in reaper. it would be awesome to be able to use my bcr 2000 in reaper as that controller can even receive LED feedback. up to now i must use it with most encoders set to relative mode which necessitates disabling all LED's.

please developers, go about this as soon as possible.
UnderwaterSunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #32
XITE-1/4LIVE

Ankyu........
Old 05-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #33
hopi

the odd grid divisions as describes in Vision sound like a great implemention of how to do that.

I've been lately again into the midi ed. working on custom actions to set grids... just cuz I hate dealing with lotta drop down menues.

Now it would not be super easy but when done it would be done.. to create custom 'set grid' actions from the actions that exist. I can't really say if all possiblre cases could be handled that way but at least some more could.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #34
hopi

OK now I think about a year back 'we' discussed something like this and like many threads it's there in 'somewhere land'... so:

This is about the filter manily or some additon to it...

Right now, you can only set it to filter for a given note value, like C3, or G4... so you only get to see all the C notes ONLY in one octave...

What I would dearly love to see, is a filter that would let you pick any note[s]in any octave[s] as what you see.

So you could set up to see, C2, C3, G3,D4,A5,G7...etc. and IF you could do that then you could also invert that selection to see whatever else is outside of that selection.

How would it look? Well ya got 12 notes and what, 9-10 octaves [or so]
so it could easily have a matrix of octaves stacked as columns from the bottom up with notes after each octave as a row.

Now if that existed, perhaps there could even be save-able presets for it... simple idea: all C maj notes in X octaves...

Seeing as how the midi named notes are really midi numbers, I don't see why this could not be done... Me and Xoenchz did something like it in the freebie, XZ-Midi Filter VST, but we just used a GUI keyboard... [and that would really be nice as a filter]

Think about how handy this could be...

OK... your thoughts?
Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #35
Sound asleep

solo current track button, from within midi editor.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #36
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
solo current track button, from within midi editor.
I would love if the MIDI Filter Box was essentially like a mini track Control Panel. If would show the rec-arm, solo, mute, FX & send buttons, I wouldn't need to spend any time in the Arrange View when working on MIDI-based songs (which is over 99% of how I create my music.)

A lot of people would hate seeing this, so a means to show/hide each of these elements within the MIDI Filter Box would keep the addition from getting in the way of taking up user's screen space.

I made a half-assed GUI mockup of this request a while ago. I'll upload it at some point and make the FR to go along with it.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #37
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
I would love if the MIDI Filter Box was essentially like a mini track Control Panel. If would show the rec-arm, solo, mute, FX & send buttons, I wouldn't need to spend any time in the Arrange View when working on MIDI-based songs (which is over 99% of how I create my music.)

A lot of people would hate seeing this, so a means to show/hide each of these elements within the MIDI Filter Box would keep the addition from getting in the way of taking up user's screen space.

I made a half-assed GUI mockup of this request a while ago. I'll upload it at some point and make the FR to go along with it.
Heres a post that shows how it's done in Sonar that works great.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=130
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #38
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post

i'm interested in this.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:54 AM   #39
Sound asleep

link midi items.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #40
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
link midi items.
are called "pooled MIDI items" in Reaper or do I miss something?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote