Old 05-19-2022, 10:52 AM   #1
matt_t
Human being with feelings

Default v6.58+dev0519 - May 19 2022

v6.58+dev0519 - May 19 2022
  • * Includes feature branch: improve experimental silent-track CPU reduction option to include FX tail length
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • * Includes feature branch: internal pin management overhaul for future extension
  • * Includes feature branch: media explorer user-defined tags
  • + FX: add compatibility setting to VST/AU/LV2 to use automatic tail detection, allowing plug-ins to opt-in to project setting
  • + FX: add compatibility setting to ignore tail length
  • + FX: add oversample options to floating FX window context menu
  • + FX: add project setting to auto-bypass all plug-ins that report tail length, with user-defined silence threshold
  • + MIDI editor: add undo points when changing time selection via alt+right drag [t=266591]
  • + MIDI: fix looped playback issues with multiple simulaneous note-ons
  • + Media explorer: add loudness column, populate peak volume and loudness after running action to calculate loudness
  • + Media explorer: add option to normalize preview volume to -12LU if loudness has been calculated
  • + Media explorer: when normalizing preview volume for loudness, adjust playback volume for mono media because preview is stereo
  • + Peaks drawing: more precise peaks drawing at razor edit edges during mouse edits
  • + Razor edits: improve video preview display when editing [t=264785]
  • + Render: default to .mp4 extension (rather than .m4vwhen rendering mpeg-4) video
  • + Render: improve normalization speed when rendering mp4/m4a containing audio stream only
  • + Theme: minor adjustments to muted/unsoloed track/item overlay color and mode
  • + Video: simplify WMF encoding settings
  • + WALTER: fix corner case of parsing .] [t=266668]
  • + WALTER: treat 'scalar==vector' in comparisons as 'scalar==vector{0}' rather than 'scalar==0' [p=2557841]
  • # Razor edits: when moving a razor edit, preview video at the start of the razor edit, not the start of the first item in the razor edit
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
matt_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:16 PM   #2
Arthur

Dear devs, i noticed that when the midi editor is open, the processor cores work unevenly, there is a heavy load on one of the cores (which causes audio dropouts in heavy loaded projects), while when the midi editor is closed, all processor cores are loaded evenly. Same issue with opened item inline editors. I can't tell exactly what version it started with, maybe it's an old problem, but if it's not difficult, please fix it. I'm on Windows and at the moment i can't check how it works on a Mac.
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: png Midi Editor - Opened.png (197.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: png Midi Editor - Closed.png (191.9 KB, 81 views)
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:31 PM   #3
schwa
Administrator

It's not new behavior, but Preferences/Audio/Buffering/"Disable media buffering for tracks with open MIDI editors" is enabled by default, so that you can hear edits you make in real-time without buffering. That increases the load on whichever core is processing that track. You can disable that preference for improved CPU usage, but then you won't hear your MIDI editor edits as immediately.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:43 PM   #4
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_t View Post
+ FX: add oversample options to floating FX window context menu
*Chef's kiss*

Thank you!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:45 PM   #5
Arthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
It's not new behavior, but Preferences/Audio/Buffering/"Disable media buffering for tracks with open MIDI editors" is enabled by default, so that you can hear edits you make in real-time without buffering. That increases the load on whichever core is processing that track. You can disable that preference for improved CPU usage, but then you won't hear your MIDI editor edits as immediately.
Thanks a lot, i'll keep that in mind from now.
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:29 PM   #6
nofish

Quote:
[*]+ Media explorer: add loudness column, populate peak volume and loudness after running action to calculate loudness
[*]+ Media explorer: add option to normalize preview volume to -12LU if loudness has been calculated
This is nice, thanks.
I'm thinking an additional option 'normalize preview volume to -12LU (calculates loudness first if necessary)' could be useful (even if previewing expectedly gets delayed in this case).

Because currently when wanting to preview random (not yet loudness calculated) files normalised it's a two step process (first run action to calc. loudness then preview), with this additional option it's more 'set and forget'.
(Yes, I could let Reaper loudness calculate each and every audio file I have on the HD, but that seems a bit like shooting elephants. )
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:52 PM   #7
ovnis

For the media explorer, a custom tag system like in Repro 5 or DIVA would be great!

For example, we tag the media "kick_funk_08.wav" by "kick" and "funk".

So if we want to find it quickly, we chose the tags "kick" and "funk".
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:13 PM   #8
MrTsonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
For the media explorer, a custom tag system like in Repro 5 or DIVA would be great!

For example, we tag the media "kick_funk_08.wav" by "kick" and "funk".

So if we want to find it quickly, we chose the tags "kick" and "funk".
Yes, it's very convenient. Since the custom tag appeared in the Reaper, I have been using it with pleasure.
MrTsonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:23 PM   #9
kytdkut

I put reaper to calculate loudness of an entire database consisting of 24k files spread across different folders

it started splitting the scan in batches of 100 files

and I can't cancel the (possibly stupid, I know) task -- EDIT yes, pressing cancel
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:25 PM   #10
daxliniere

Quote:
[*]+ FX: add oversample options to floating FX window context menu
This is excellent, thank you.

Could you also give us some actions for the oversampling functions, please? It would be great for macros/scripts/key bindings. (Double oversampling, halve oversampling, etc)

Cheers!
Dax.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:28 PM   #11
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytdkut View Post
I put reaper to calculate loudness of an entire database consisting of 24k files spread across different folders

it started splitting the scan in batches of 100 files

and I can't cancel the (possibly stupid, I know) task -- EDIT yes, pressing cancel
What happens when you press cancel?
Old 05-19-2022, 05:41 PM   #12
X-Raym

About loudness in media explorer, can it be populate with BWF metadata loudness values ? Maybe it can save a bit of calculation time, it has already be done in another software for eg.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:45 PM   #13
schwa
Administrator

fwiw the loudness calculation will change for the next +dev build. There will still be an action to do a dry run render if you want to see all the stats and charts, but the dedicated loudness calculation processing will be faster.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:55 PM   #14
kytdkut

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
What happens when you press cancel?
it cancels the entire job, even the queue

effectively cancelling the loudness measurement

Last edited by kytdkut; 05-19-2022 at 06:11 PM.
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:55 AM   #15
AZpercussion

Razor edits: improve video preview display when editing
Thanks that you had a look at interaction of razor with video!
Now video scrolls only on editing razor area edge, but it needs on creating area too.

Theme: minor adjustments to muted/unsoloed track/item overlay color and mode
What are the improvements? There are white stripes still between muted tracks in 4th and 5th themes.

AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:38 AM   #16
lavmort

Quote:
v6.58+dev0519 - May 19 2022[*]+ Razor edits: improve video preview display when editing [t=264785][*]+ Render: default to .mp4 extension (rather than
Thanks a lot for those ones!
lavmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:31 AM   #17
srdmusic

Default Auto Bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
If you enable the preference option: it enables it for all plug-ins that declare themselves "silence in silence out"

Otherwise, you would use the per-FX option to set (which works for FX that don't declare silence/silence). Setting it for all plugins in a project would be risky, since some plug-in might not meet that criteria?
Hi Justin,

I worked with one of the other Reaper forum scripters, HEDA, to build s similar script to your new Auto-Bypass. It is a part of the HEDA Tag's v2 script.

It essentially looks at items and uses track automation to bypass fx when there is no region playing back. Using track automation to bypass plugins isn't ideal but there is one aspect of HEDA's script that I believe could streamline what we're after.

HEDA's script looks at regions instead of detecting audio coming in/ out of plugins.

I am not sure if this helps with false positives in your silence detector but perhaps all VSTs should turn on when there is a region and the user can set a tail length for where there is no region. Do you think this might reduce the number of calls to the processor detecting if there is audio going through a plugin if Reaper is simply looking at regions?
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote