Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-19-2022, 07:20 AM   #1
mikehende
Human being with feelings

Default Any GURU here who can help me troubleshoot please?

Guys, I need someone who can help me troubleshoot this plugin issue. Someone had helped me setup a Reaper project a while back but I cannot find him to help with this so I am on my own.

My project involves using Reaper and VB-Audio cables to play mp3's from any source [DJ Softwares, Spotify, youtube or whatever] on my pc and add VST fx like reverbs, delays e.t.c to the playing music.

I would like to use a looping plugin and this one specifically [Instalooper]:

https://www.audioblast.me/instaloope...r-mac-windows/

Problem is, this will work if I were to add the fx over a track playing in Reaper but I am not getting it to work in "my" project since my project does not involve playing a track in Reaper. So my project looks like this with the music playing from one of the audio sources mentioned:

https://i.postimg.cc/wv7xCpHB/work.png

I have the basic steps written down which was used for my project which I can post here or I can send the project file to anyone who might be willing to help with this if needed?
mikehende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:52 PM   #2
Fabian

If I understand correctly, there are two options:
  1. Put it on the master track. You already have ReaComp there and it seems to work, so any FX you put there should process the audio before being output. I guess you want the looper before ReaComp.
  2. Put it on one of the record enabled tracks (this is where the audio comes in, right?) as an input FX. Right-click the record button and select "Track input FX chain...".
Old 05-19-2022, 03:19 PM   #3
mikehende

Hey thank you very much for helping with this!

Sorry the guy who had created my project for me did all of the setup as I am accustomed to DJ softwares so I can use a little more guidance please.

When you say "put it on the master track", if this was an mp3 track playing in Reaper I know I can drag the fx unto the playing track but outside of that can you guide me please?
Old 05-19-2022, 03:26 PM   #4
WINAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
Guys, I need someone who can help me troubleshoot this plugin issue. Someone had helped me setup a Reaper project a while back but I cannot find him to help with this so I am on my own.

My project involves using Reaper and VB-Audio cables to play mp3's from any source [DJ Softwares, Spotify, youtube or whatever] on my pc and add VST fx like reverbs, delays e.t.c to the playing music.

Problem is, this will work if I were to add the fx over a track playing in Reaper but I am not getting it to work in "my" project since my project does not involve playing a track in Reaper. So my project looks like this with the music playing from one of the audio sources mentioned:

I have the basic steps written down which was used for my project which I can post here or I can send the project file to anyone who might be willing to help with this if needed?
You need to figure out the routing.
A lot of stuff can be processed "on-the-run" by feeding a "monitor" port of an audio device. Even the built-in card has a monitoring port on most computers.

That being said, you might be missing an essential recording sample.
WINAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:34 AM   #5
mikehende

This is as far as I can see guys.

I just checked and please see attached screenshots of what I am seeing when I click on the fx button and the drop down buttons, recording is on.

I think main problem with this is that I will not be able to alter any current settings in case it should cause my existing project to not function?

Also to clarify, all other reverb/delay plugins work fine on my music machine, some looper plugins are working fine and some same deal, no sound so this issue seems to be specific only to some looper plugins and not my setup?

If anyone can advise on it any further would be great. Hopefully between us all we might be able to figure what the guy who had set it up has done. Thx.

Last edited by mikehende; 05-20-2022 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:46 AM   #6
serr

Quote:

The plugin will not care where the source of the audio comes from. There are 3 possible inputs for any track: an item, a hardware input assignment, or a send from another track. Reaper will even let you do all 3 at the same time.

So... If you have your audio coming in from a virtual device and routed to a track, it will be no different to that plugin than if the source was an audio item in the track.

To monitor audio coming in from a hardware input assignment, click on the red record arm button and set the playback monitor switch for the track to input.

Start by verifying the connection to the aggregate device of your normal audio interface + the virtual device (VB Audio Cable). Create the aggregate device initially with your OS audio utility. Select it in the Reaper device menu instead of your interface by itself.

Assign the VB Audio input to a track. Click on rec arm and click the monitor switch to input. Set your OS audio to output to VB Audio. Now all media players (browser audio, etc) play into VB Audio. Now you should have audio coming in to Reaper on a track.

Now go after that new plugin!

The bullet points:
- Create aggregate device. Add your normal audio interface + VB Audio virtual device to it.
- Assign OS audio to VB Audio
- Select the aggregate device in Reaper for the audio device
- Assign the input from VB Audio to a track. Rec arm on. Monitor on input.

There also shouldn't be any need to put that new looper plugin on the Reaper master. I'd recommend not doing that for a few reasons! Just use a track.

If some of the routing in Reaper is a mystery to you and you just haven't played with this yet, make your first goal to go through the routing. It's just a mixing board at the end of the day.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:52 AM   #7
mikehende

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The plugin will not care where the source of the audio comes from. There are 3 possible inputs for any track: an item, a hardware input assignment, or a send from another track. Reaper will even let you do all 3 at the same time.

So... If you have your audio coming in from a virtual device and routed to a track, it will be no different to that plugin than if the source was an audio item in the track.

To monitor audio coming in from a hardware input assignment, click on the red record arm button and set the playback monitor switch for the track to input.

Start by verifying the connection to the aggregate device of your normal audio interface + the virtual device (VB Audio Cable). Create the aggregate device initially with your OS audio utility. Select it in the Reaper device menu instead of your interface by itself.

Assign the VB Audio input to a track. Click on rec arm and click the monitor switch to input. Set your OS audio to output to VB Audio. Now all media players (browser audio, etc) play into VB Audio. Now you should have audio coming in to Reaper on a track.

The bullet points:
- Create aggregate device. Add your normal audio interface + VB Audio virtual device to it.

There also shouldn't be any need to put that new looper plugin on the Reaper master. I'd recommend not doing that for a few reasons! Just use a track.

If some of the routing in Reaper is a mystery to you and you just haven't played with this yet, make your first goal to go through the routing. It's just a mixing board at the end of the day.
Ok thanks a million for helping, I will try to see how much of what you've written I can follow along and implement. First, for safety, can I copy my existing Reaper file and work with the duplicated file leaving original intact?
Old 05-20-2022, 08:31 AM   #8
serr

Quote:
Ok thanks a million for helping, I will try to see how much of what you've written I can follow along and implement. First, for safety, can I copy my existing Reaper file and work with the duplicated file leaving original intact?
Yes. If the concept of saving often and saving incremental versions of your work as you go is new to you, start doing this RIGHT NOW!

File menu > Save as >

You can copy/duplicate files as you please in your OS. Finder window on the Mac or Explorer window in Windows. Start making backup clones of your system drive or at least use the Time Machine backup utilities. (Or whatever Windows calls theirs.) Digital storage is great! Exact copies. Literally identical exact. Digital is insidious! A hard drive can break and all the data can be lost in an instant. If you don't have multiple copies, you're going to lose it. Not 'if' but 'when'.

I got the sense that you haven't actually done any of this before! All good. Jump in! I spit that out kind of fast and light on some of the details. Hopefully that gives you something to help start looking stuff up and a point to jump in.

PS. There are a couple different audio routing apps and methods available now. The virtual device method is usually the easiest and what I described. The virtual device acts just like an audio interface. Soundflower and Black Hole are two of those apps that I've used.

Then there's the style of app that routes audio between other apps aside the audio system. Loopback and Virtual Audio Cable are examples. I haven't played much with these. Looks more complicated and maybe even uses system resources.

There are audio over network solutions now too. Look up Dante.

And that would be the order to look that stuff up.
I use Black Hole currently. (Soundflower team jumped ship and this is their new version now.)

Oh and some audio interfaces have a return bus you can use for this kind of routing for an additional solution.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:08 AM   #9
mikehende

Quote:
PS. There are a couple different audio routing apps and methods available now. The virtual device method is usually the easiest and what I described. The virtual device acts just like an audio interface. Soundflower and Black Hole are two of those apps that I've used.
My main concern for this if I am to alter what the guy has done in setting up my project is that I might end up with a different outcome as my project was setup in a very specific way or are you saying I can have exactly as my current project just it can be done in a different way or with different method please? Also this is for a windows pc, not Mac.

Last edited by mikehende; 05-20-2022 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:22 AM   #10
Billy M

Quote:
My main concern for this if I am to alter what the guy has done in setting up my project is that I might end up with a different outcome as my project was setup in a very specific way? Also this is for a windows pc, not Mac.
Go to File/Save Project as/ and add -original file- onto the name or anything recognizable, then save. This will be your original file you can go back to, if needed. You should also save it as a template so that you'll always have the original setup project. File/Project Templates/Save Project as Template.

Now you can rename the file again and mess with it all you want knowing you have the other project files if something goes wrong.

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Last edited by Billy M; 05-20-2022 at 09:34 AM.
Billy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:28 AM   #11
mikehende

Great thanks, will do. Eric and I had put one month of work in trial and error with my project to have it working to perfection so do not want to risk anything at all.

What I want to do, is try this or another method on my other pc with a copy of my original file first to make sure all is ok before I should attempt modifying my music pc's setup in any way.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:28 AM   #12
ericzang

Please excuse the basic question, but have you tried it with reaper's transport playing? Some plugins require this to work correctly.
ericzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:04 AM   #13
mikehende

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy M View Post
Go to File/Save Project as/ and add -original file- onto the name or anything recognizable, then save. This will be your original file you can go back to, if needed. You should also save it as a template so that you'll always have the original setup project. File/Project Templates/Save Project as Template.

Now you can rename the file again and mess with it all you want knowing you have the other project files if something goes wrong.
Thanks. So I have copied the project file unto my other pc and trying to get the same results first on that pc before I start on Fabian's instructions. Only thing I am missing is the Asio Bridge settings. it is showing by default SR48000, I need to get it to 44100 like mine, not seeing steps anywhere online on how to make this change, anyone might know of this please?

https://i.postimg.cc/ZntGknm8/Screenshot-1.png
Old 05-22-2022, 09:17 AM   #14
serr

What is your main audio interface?

Normally you control sample rate for the whole system you put together from the host DAW app. That would be the Reaper control panel in Preferences/Audio/Device page. (Note the Reaper features here! The ability of a project settings sample rate to override the preference setting and the ability to disable Reaper control to use some 3rd party.)

If you have an aggregate device setup with both your main interface and that VB Audio Cable virtual device, that should work the same way. Control it from Reaper.

There are other options for stuff that misbehaves!
Start with the SOP. Post back the steps you are trying to take with specifics as it comes up if things are misbehaving.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:25 AM   #15
mikehende

I am trying first to get my current project working on another pc and VB Asio Bridge is the only remaining component from my instructions which needs to be set like in my project. I do not want to try anything else right now which may modify the current setup. I have written to the vb support, let's see if they will respond.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:58 AM   #16
serr

FYI

Reaper app itself has a feature to save the current configuration (ie all preference settings) to a zip file. You can save, jump in and screw everything up hopelessly, then load the saved file and be right back.

You know how you copy a file to make a 2nd copy for backup?
You can do that with your entire system hard drive in your computer. It's called cloning. Make a copy of the whole thing. That means when you do something or download something that shuts you down, you can simply boot from the cloned hard drive, now clone back to overwrite the primary, and now you're back.

This workflow of keeping a known good thing and reverting back to it instead of having to figure out how to actually fix a mistake is the way to go with this stuff! Otherwise it will feel like using someone else's computer and you will forever be afraid of touching anything.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:55 AM   #17
mikehende

Well guys, I got the template working on my other pc! Actually it was one setting I had missed in my own instructions otherwise it would have gone easily, appreciate the help with this you guys, now I know exactly what will need to be done in the future on any pc.

Now on to final part, getting instalooper to work, report back in a few.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:43 AM   #18
mikehende

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
If I understand correctly, there are two options:
  1. Put it on the master track. You already have ReaComp there and it seems to work, so any FX you put there should process the audio before being output. I guess you want the looper before ReaComp.
  2. Put it on one of the record enabled tracks (this is where the audio comes in, right?) as an input FX. Right-click the record button and select "Track input FX chain...".
Unfortunately both of these options did not work for Instalooper on my personal project.

https://i.postimg.cc/7ZMNz5vR/Screenshot-2.png

It only works as mentioned on a regular reaper install if I add it over a track playing in reaper.

So on to the next attempt.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:45 AM   #19
mikehende

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericzang View Post
Please excuse the basic question, but have you tried it with reaper's transport playing? Some plugins require this to work correctly.
Thanks for helping Ericzang. I see what you mean now about the looping feature in Reaper transport control but not working to loop when I click on the green button?

Last edited by mikehende; 05-23-2022 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:55 AM   #20
mikehende

Quote:

The bullet points:

Ok guys, I am going to attempt the above method and instructions but can use some help please.

First, I am seeing that windows does not have the "aggregate device" option as with a Mac. So doing research this is the closest thing I am finding:

How to setup multiple audio outputs on windows 10, is this the same as an aggregate device please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_qCMav6oQg