Human being with feelings

Default whats the fastest way to do what this plugin does in reaper

https://equipboard.com/items/nicky-r...ression-plugin

i'm looking for a smart/fast way to kinda do this with stock plugins
read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:23 AM   #2
Judders

Looks like something you could do easily with automation items.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:44 AM   #3
nait

As an alternative....

I'd suggest Googling something like:

free Nicky Romero Kickstart alternative
or
free LFOtool alternative (I use LFO tool, personally, it seems like it's another pay plugin like Kickstart)

One of the first results I found was TAL-Filter-2. It is free. I actually really like TAL's free plugins, so this one might be worth a shot for you. I saw some other ones out there too, but I'm not familiar with the developer of those, so I didn't want to suggest any. I haven't used TAL Filter 2 either, but, again, I like some of their other plugins, and it looks like it can do what you are looking for. You might have to create your own presets to do what you're looking for.. not sure.

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-filter
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #4
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by read View Post
https://equipboard.com/items/nicky-r...ression-plugin

i'm looking for a smart/fast way to kinda do this with stock plugins
Side-chain compression... ReaComp can do that. It does not have different modulation curves, but standard side-chain compression is no problem. I would say most compressors can do side-chain compression, even the free ones. Just try a few and see if you find something that you like. There are even JSFX variants that can do side-chain compression.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Side-chain compression... ReaComp can do that. It does not have different modulation curves, but standard side-chain compression is no problem. I would say most compressors can do side-chain compression, even the free ones. Just try a few and see if you find something that you like. There are even JSFX variants that can do side-chain compression.
I could be wrong, but I think the thing with Sidekick and other similar options is it's kind of (what I will call) a lazy way of doing sidechain compression. You just kinda drop the thing on there, and select a timing of when your compression kicks in (or even just a preset that fits a common sound), vs. a normal compressor with sidechaining in which you trigger it on something else (commonly your kick drum, but not necessarily). So the compression is based on timing, not on some volume, per se. I've used both methods. You could always have a silent channel for your side chain source to do this too, but sometimes you might want to have your sidechains kick in at a higher or lower frequency than what you have playing in your song, just as an effect.

I don't think it's worth buying anything to do this, but sometimes it's nice to just have a quick and dirty way of doing things, even if it isn't THAT much work to set up sidechain compression the normal way.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #6
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstooch View Post
I could be wrong, but I think the thing with Sidekick and other similar options is it's kind of (what I will call) a lazy way of doing sidechain compression. You just kinda drop the thing on there, and select a timing of when your compression kicks in (or even just a preset that fits a common sound), vs. a normal compressor with sidechaining in which you trigger it on something else (commonly your kick drum, but not necessarily). So the compression is based on timing, not on some volume, per se. I've used both methods. You could always have a silent channel for your side chain source to do this too, but sometimes you might want to have your sidechains kick in at a higher or lower frequency than what you have playing in your song, just as an effect.

I don't think it's worth buying anything to do this, but sometimes it's nice to just have a quick and dirty way of doing things, even if it isn't THAT much work to set up sidechain compression the normal way.
You are probably right. From here https://equipboard.com/items/nicky-r...plugin#reviews it seems that it does some kind of "side-chain" compression, but without any side-chain. Seems it blindly ("deafly"?) compresses according to the beat. What a strange idea...
Old 07-15-2019, 11:14 PM   #7
Judders

I remember David Nahmani, the top Logic teacher guy, when the whole extreme sidechain thing started in house music, saying that he'd visited a few big producers who simply wrote out level automation to achieve the effect. No messing around with routing to aux tracks and fine-tuning compressors or shifting sidechain key tracks around by milliseconds.

You can shape the attenuation exactly how you want, and time it how you want (though ReaComp is ahead of the game - pun intended - there with its lookahead feature).
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:40 PM   #8
NAD

Automation items are perfect for this! I used to use VolumeShaper (which is basically Kickstart's big sister) but since Reaper got automation items it got so much easier to do without a plugin, not to mention more versatile.
NAD is offline   Reply With Quote