Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #1
yellomallard
Human being with feelings

Default Upgrade from registered install

Hello folks. First time poster. Nice n easy question.

Downloaded the latest release of reaper. Have a registered older version, not much older. Few months.

My question: will re registering reaper be required after upgrading it.

thx

me

Last edited by yellomallard; 11-15-2019 at 07:03 PM. Reason: mispelling
yellomallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
nait

As long as your license is for 4.x+, and you're installing this new Reaper in the same folder (even that might not be required, I forget where the license file goes.. might be in appdata or something), you're good to go. I upgrade my versions after every release, and never have to re-enter the license.

Edit: license sits here: C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\REAPER , so license should work no matter where you install it. I always just install to the same directory though.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 11-15-2019 at 07:43 PM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:07 AM   #3
solger

Assuming you want to update from version 5.x to 5.y, there are basically two scenarios:

1) Installing the newer version directly over your existing install folder will keep all settings, etc. (so usually no extra steps necessary here).

2) If you're doing, for instance, a portable Reaper install to a different location, you'll need to import the reaper-license.rk file for this install again. Either via the menu or by copying the license file into the Reaper resource folder (Options > Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder).

---------

As a side note: it's a good strategy in general to make regular backups (and before updating to a newer version) of your configurations, just in case https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB4C3njFxRg
So if you haven't already, this might be a good time to do this, as well