Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-21-2019, 05:27 AM   #1
magicmusic
Human being with feelings

Default reaper crash when ozone 8 is use and sample rate change happen and ozone 8

I have report this problem to izotope they can not see it. I send them example video that show this and a reaper test file. i use win 10 newest version 64 bit and a intel 610 onboard graphic and a i5 8600 CPU with H310 board. driver is all newest.

maybe somebody here have see the problem too ?. I read on inet more that get such crashes. but no solution. It happen when soundcard output sample rate is set to 48 khz and export a mp3 with rate 44.1 khz and the ozone 8 standard window is once open and closed.

crash happen also when after the ozone 8 window was open, sample rate of soundcard output is change

I test with cubase. this work ok. so my install of ozone is ok.
in reaper happen with all version i test.

To avoid the problem i need always use 44.1 khz sample rate and export with 44.1 khz.
it is possible when start reaper new and the ozone window is not open that export work when sample rate of soundcard output is 48000
magicmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #2
Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmusic View Post
I have report this problem to izotope they can not see it. I send them example video that show this and a reaper test file. i use win 10 newest version 64 bit and a intel 610 onboard graphic and a i5 8600 CPU with H310 board. driver is all newest.

maybe somebody here have see the problem too ?. I read on inet more that get such crashes. but no solution. It happen when soundcard output sample rate is set to 48 khz and export a mp3 with rate 44.1 khz and the ozone 8 standard window is once open and closed.

crash happen also when after the ozone 8 window was open, sample rate of soundcard output is change

I test with cubase. this work ok. so my install of ozone is ok.
in reaper happen with all version i test.

To avoid the problem i need always use 44.1 khz sample rate and export with 44.1 khz.
it is possible when start reaper new and the ozone window is not open that export work when sample rate of soundcard output is 48000

Unfortunately, it happens in every DAW I have. Maybe it happens more often in Reaper, but I can reproduce it in a minute in any DAW.

If I don’t use Ozone/Neutron, the system is stable.

It also doesn’t crash when I insert Ozone or Neutron. In the past, when I had other unstable plugins, they used to crash either on insert or during the use. Ozone maybe never did it. It crashes on sample rate change like in 50% of the time though. Unfortunately, I change the sample rate often, fr various reasons. I will report it to Izotope.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
magicmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mage View Post
Unfortunately, it happens in every DAW I have. Maybe it happens more often in Reaper, but I can reproduce it in a minute in any DAW.

If I don’t use Ozone/Neutron, the system is stable.

It also doesn’t crash when I insert Ozone or Neutron. In the past, when I had other unstable plugins, they used to crash either on insert or during the use. Ozone maybe never did it. It crashes on sample rate change like in 50% of the time though. Unfortunately, I change the sample rate often, fr various reasons. I will report it to Izotope.
have you cubase test ?. With cubase 9.5 LE AI i get no such problems. in cubase here can set export sample rate, to be sure, rate is change
the demo of cubase 9.5 LE can test for 30 days and it need no elicenser.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
Mage

Quote:
have you cubase test ?. With cubase 9.5 LE AI i get no such problems. in cubase here can set export sample rate, to be sure, rate is change
the demo of cubase 9.5 LE can test for 30 days and it need no elicenser.
I just recorded a video for Izotope. The following happened:

1. I put about a hundred plugins to a track in Reaper. (When I say a hundred, I don’t mean twenty but about a hundred). I change the project’s sample rate several times. Nothing happens. I delete the plugins. I put there Ozone 8 and Neutron 3. I change the sample rate. It crashes at first attempt.

2. I do the same in Ableton Live. It takes a bit more effort to crash it but it happens in the end. (I tested it multiple times. It happens less often in Live.)

3. I do the same in Cubase, except for I don’t insert many plugins because it would take ages. I inserted Diva. Changed the sample rate four times. Nothing happened. I inserted Ozone 8. I tried to change the sample rate. It crashed at first attempt just like Reaper.

As far as I can tell, it happens only when I change the sample rate. I have Macs. I did not test it in Windows. But I have this issue on multiple computers. I’ve always had it since I have Ozone 8.

Today, I reported it.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:16 PM   #5
magicmusic

@mage thanks for your answer. I have no Macs. I test it on win 10. cubase 9.5 work here.

I report this ozone team some months ago, they tell they can not get the bug. i send example song for reaper and do video how they can reproduce. now when it happen on your mac then they can maybe test on mac and get the problems too and they can fix it

what MAC you have ?. I have a 6 core i5 8600K 16 GB ram win 10 64 with the intel onboard graphic ?. have your mac the intel onboard graphic too ?

ozone team tell that they test on a intel onboard graphic too, but not which onboard graphic. My CPU use a intel series 300 chipset that is released in Q2 2018

lets hope they finally see the problem on their MAC. I can confirm that a other DAW too have the problem with ozone. I have mixcraft 8 test and it crash too when sample rate change. but mixcraft ozone not support offical. but mixcraft is a nice DAW with video cut feature too and live play as ableton live, other DAW not have
Old 06-18-2019, 10:22 PM   #6
magicmusic

Mixcraft have a good crash log. when ozone crash mixcraft output this. (I send ozone team too)

00007ffee90dea04: iZOzone8 l9_ippsLn_32f_A21() + 0x4ffaa4
00007ffee90dead5: iZOzone8 l9_ippsLn_32f_A21() + 0x4ffb75
00007ffee90e31c5: iZOzone8 l9_ippsLn_32f_A21() + 0x504265
00007ffee90e3265: iZOzone8 l9_ippsLn_32f_A21() + 0x504305
00007ffee914337b: iZOzone8 l9_ippsLn_32f_A21() + 0x56441b
00007ffee911172e: iZOzone8 l9_ippsLn_32f_A21() + 0x5327ce
00007ffee948d06f: iZOzone8 l9_ippsLn_32f_A21() + 0x8ae10f
00007ffee946967f: iZOzone8 l9_ippsLn_32f_A21() + 0x88a71f
00007ffee946b800: iZOzone8 l9_ippsLn_32f_A21() + 0x88c8a0
00007ffee946b2c0: iZOzone8 l9_ippsLn_32f_A21() + 0x88c360
00007ffee94c7852: iZOzone8 l9_ippsLn_32f_A21() + 0x8e88f2
00007ffeef5add8f: Ozone 8 l9_ippsLn_32f_A21() + 0xa588f
00007ffeef5bbb99: Ozone 8 PluginHookCallback() + 0xd839
00007ffeef5dab72: Ozone 8 GetPluginFactory() + 0x1b6a2
00007ffeef5dbd17: Ozone 8 GetPluginFactory() + 0x1c847
00007ffeef5b6325: Ozone 8 PluginHookCallback() + 0x7fc5
00007ffeef5daa5c: Ozone 8 GetPluginFactory() + 0x1b58c
00007fff03f800f8: sndengine VSTHostWrapper::ChangeSampleRate() + 0x358
Old 06-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #7
kgi

Default crash with Ozone 8

Hi,

I see what I presume is the same bug when rendering a project with Ozone 8 on the MASTER FX chain. If the render sample rate (e.g. 44100) is different to the project sample rate (e.g. 96000), the render will work, but the next time I press the master FX button to view the Ozone interface Reaper will crash. This happens with rendering in online mode as well, although sometimes it takes a couple of cycles (render then open and close FX and repeat) to crash. If I set the render sample rate to match the project sample rate there is no crash. If it's an Ozone issue perhaps the Reaper team can provide iZotope with the info they need to fix it?
kgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #8
Mage

Update:

They replied to my video.

They told me: "This is known issue and is already logged internally."

They also told me to not change the sample rate because 99% of the people don’t do it. They tried to tell me how I should use my DAW.

As far as I understood, they would fix it in the future.

Below is the end of the conversation.

"Thanks for contacting us and for supporting iZotope, sorry for the trouble.

This is known issue and is already logged internally.

We advise that people don’t change their sample rates mid session.

Your session should remain at one consistent sample rate when using our software for now.

If you need to change the sample rate, then you must make a new session and set the correct sample rate from the start.

In most cases 99% of users don’t change the sample rate mid session because this screws up all their recorded audio and they’d have to reconvert everything they’ve recorded.

I apologize for this inconvenience that this particular bug causes. This issue will be reviewed by our Dev team.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know and I would be happy to help!"

My answer:

"Hello,

I assure you that I do not enjoy changing the sample rate. If it was up to me, I would never change it.

The sole reason I do it is that many plugins can’t deal with 176.4k real-time. That’s why I sometimes have to listen to it in 44.1k or 88.2k. But I render it in 176.4k.

(Another case is when the current audio device can’t handle 176.4k)

It’s not that I can hear much or any difference between 44.1k or 176.4k if we compare two finished wave files. But the sound of many plugins differs like day and night if you change the resolution. Diva, Zebra, Falcon, FabFilter, I could go on. I have some settings that don’t work in 44.1k but are perfect in 88.2k or 176.4k.

For the reasons above, I can’t avoid changing it when 176.4k is too much for real-time.

"they don’t change the sample rate mid session because this screws up all their recorded audio and they’d have to reconvert everything they’ve recorded."

This is true only in crap DAWs like Cubase 9.5.

Nothing bad happens if you change it in Live or Reaper because they can do on the fly resampling. You can even do a null test, and you will see that most DAWS can handle it without problems.

I think even Cubase 10 can do on the fly resampling. (Update: maybe not.)

I hope you will fix it.

Best regards,

Mage
Old 06-21-2019, 08:56 AM   #9
Mage

Right now, I have 253 VST and VST3 plugins installed. Yes, I counted them.

$ find VST/ VST3/ | egrep '\.(vst|vst3)$' | wc

And usually, I don’t install duplications. I install either the VST or the VST3 version but not both, if possible.

Yet there are only two ways to make Reaper crash.

1. Add something from Izotope, and change the sample rate
2. Add something from Steinberg, then try to load the project without the USB dongle inserted

I think Falcon used to crash a lot, but UVI fixed it later.

Too bad because I think I would like Neutron and Ozone if I could use them. I have the Music Suite. I never could use it for longer than five minutes.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #10
Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgi View Post
Hi,

I see what I presume is the same bug when rendering a project with Ozone 8 on the MASTER FX chain. If the render sample rate (e.g. 44100) is different to the project sample rate (e.g. 96000), the render will work, but the next time I press the master FX button to view the Ozone interface Reaper will crash. This happens with rendering in online mode as well, although sometimes it takes a couple of cycles (render then open and close FX and repeat) to crash. If I set the render sample rate to match the project sample rate there is no crash. If it's an Ozone issue perhaps the Reaper team can provide iZotope with the info they need to fix it?
Since it crashes every DAW (that I have), I guess the only thing they need to fix it is the will to fix it.

I used to have the following workflow:

Default, the projects were 176.4k.
I rendered everything in 176.4k
When I tried to make something and listen, and the CPU could not handle it, I switched to 88.2 or 44.1 temporarily by changing the project’s settings.

As I got bored by the constant changes if the sample rate, I changed my workflow. Now:

The projects are 176.4k.
In the preferences, I set the device to 44.1k. I might try 88.2k because some plugins sound already much better.
In the preferences, I disable the option that the project can overwrite the device’s sample rate.

The result is that when I play the project, it is played in 44.1k. It is not resampled because the CPU can handle things that it can’t handle in real time in 176.4k.
If I render (I’m using subprojects), it is done in 176.4k. So, I don’t have to switch back and forward in the project’s settings all the time.

It also works for track freeze.

Another huge advantage is that I don’t need to use oversampling. For example, FabFilter’s OS saturates the sound in a way I don’t like. FabFilter L2 and FabFilter C do it for sure. I always turn off the OS. Anyway, what’s the point in upsampling and downsampling a track 2-5 times as the audio goes through the FX chain? To me, using a high sample rate without OS makes more sense.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #11
magicmusic

realy bad that they not fix it. to me they only told that they can not reproduce the problem. for a programmer it is easy to fix when a crash can reproduce always. when they tell you it is known isue they maybe can see it on their system
Old 10-04-2019, 04:56 AM   #12
magicmusic

I test currently the ozone 9 advantage in Demo mode. there are no problems with rate change and crashes. seem they have fix it in new version. the ozone 9 demo run together with ozone 8 so there need not reinstall ozone 8 when remove ozone 9. maybe other can test ozone 9 demo too, if it work ok ?. if so can write to them maybe they fix the 8 too
Old 10-05-2019, 01:10 AM   #13
Mage

Quote:
I test currently the ozone 9 advantage in Demo mode. there are no problems with rate change and crashes. seem they have fix it in new version. the ozone 9 demo run together with ozone 8 so there need not reinstall ozone 8 when remove ozone 9. maybe other can test ozone 9 demo too, if it work ok ?. if so can write to them maybe they fix the 8 too
They might have fixed it indeed.

For a long time, I didn’t use anything from iZotope due to this bug. Last week, I started using Neutron 3 and Ozone 8, and they never crashed on sample rate change. Not even once.

However, my project started to crash on project load. I can’t say it was due to Ozone as I added a few other plugins to the project at the same time. Later, the crashes ceased to happen.

Anyway, I started using the components individually. Instead of adding Neutron 3, I add Neutron 3 EQ, Neutron 3 Transient Shaper, etc. The performance is better.