Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-30-2021, 04:07 PM   #1
pax-eterna
Human being with feelings

Default OT: Anyone have suggestions for XR series in Linux?

I have the Behringer XR-18 which can also run as an audio interface, however while the system "sees" it as an audio device I can get no audible sound...IE under the audio mixer app it's there and set as default (Fallback???) and the led bar is moving, I get nothing.

Trying to ascertain if it is something in Linux or in the XR itself, eg some setting I may have overlooked.
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:20 PM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
I have the Behringer XR-18 which can also run as an audio interface, however while the system "sees" it as an audio device I can get no audible sound...IE under the audio mixer app it's there and set as default (Fallback???) and the led bar is moving, I get nothing.

Trying to ascertain if it is something in Linux or in the XR itself, eg some setting I may have overlooked.
Did you select ALSA as the audio system, and also select the XR18 for both the audio in and audio out device on the two drop down selection lists?

When I added an ADA8200 to my UMC1820 I wasn't getting any signal into REAPER and found this. First run alsamixer and hit F6. From there, determine what number is the XR18 and if it's not "1" like my UMC1820 is, then change it in the lines below after the -c.

What these lines do is unmute everything and set it all to full volume. What I would try is issuing all but the last line, and see if it changed anything. If it fixes the problem, then issue the last line and it will save it as the default so it will survive a reboot.

Code:
amixer -c 1 cset numid=1 on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on
amixer -c 1 cset numid=3 127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127
amixer -c 1 cset numid=9 on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on,on
amixer -c 1 cset numid=11 127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127,127
amixer -c 1 cset numid=8 0
alsactl store
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:27 PM   #3
pax-eterna

Thanks Glenn...is ALSA Mixer in Manjaro? I entered into the App finder (bottom left corner) but nothing came up?
Old 07-30-2021, 04:30 PM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Thanks Glenn...is ALSA Mixer in Manjaro? I entered into the App finder (bottom left corner) but nothing came up?
It's all installed already. Those commands should all be honored in a terminal. I just entered amixer and alsactl in a terminal and both were known commands in XFCE Manjaro.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:34 PM   #5
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
It's all installed already. Those commands should all be honored in a terminal. I just entered amixer and alsactl in a terminal and both were known commands in XFCE Manjaro.
Ok, cool - I'll give it a try -gotta head out now, but later today I can get to it.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:47 PM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Ok, cool - I'll give it a try -gotta head out now, but later today I can get to it.
Hopefully the id numbers are the same.

IOW, the idnum=1, 3, 9, 11, Etc. I'm pretty sure those numbers designate a row more or less on the internal mixer like input level, output level, mute, Etc. Those lines were what I found for making the ADA8200 inputs work, which were all either at zero level or muted from the factory. Once I entered those lines, all the inputs of my ADA8200 would pass signal to REAPER.

Since the XR18 can be run from a phone or a tablet, you can probably do the same thing that way, but neither my UMC1820 or ADA8200 have any kind of phone or tablet interface.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:57 PM   #7
andrewjg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Did you select ALSA as the audio system, and also select the XR18 for both the audio in and audio out device on the two drop down selection lists?
From 2022, I just want to say thanks for this comment - just solved my problem!!
andrewjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:38 PM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjg View Post
From 2022, I just want to say thanks for this comment - just solved my problem!!
Very cool!

I'm glad threads like this one can still help later down the line.