Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v6.33+dev0729 - July 29 2021

v6.33+dev0729 - July 29 2021
* Includes feature branch: MIDI editor note reordering
* Includes feature branch: media item lanes
+ FX: improve default position saving behavior [p=2467019]
+ FX: workaround weird issues with RealGuitar on Win64 [p=2465441]
+ LV2: fix incorrect meaningless timestamps when passing control messages from UI to plug-in
+ Master VU: faster loudness meter response when preference enabled to reset meters on play/seek [p=2467063]
+ Theme: add meter_strip_h_rms image, consistently use loudness meter theme elements for tracks that are set to meter loudness
# Actions: handle running action to move media items to/from hidden child tracks multiple times
# Master VU: clear loudness meter when clearing peaks, even for background projects [t=256000]
# Media item properties: don't auto-update dialog while user is editing take volume or pan

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:31 PM   #2
dangguidan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
v6.33+dev0729 - July 29 2021

+ FX: workaround weird issues with RealGuitar on Win64 [p=2465441]

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases
I tried. Everything is normal now. Thank you!
dangguidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:39 AM   #3
bFooz

Quote:
# Media item properties: don't auto-update dialog while user is editing take volume or pan
When adjusting values (volume, phase, loop, whatever) outside of the media item properties window via actions or TCP, the values are adjusted right away, with a proper visual feedback.

When doing the same via the media item propeties window, it needs either 2 seconds or a submit-click to apply the values.

That is the same thing working differently within the single software.

The solution when working with the media item properties window is to apply the changed values right away. And then when user clicks "OK" the new values are kept. When clicked "Cancel", the new values are reverted back to the original ones. The "Apply" button is unnecessary.

Also, can this window be better visually organized, with better UX, fields aligned, so it is intuitive to use without much effort and easier to grasp at first sight for the brain which needs to concentrate on the work not on the interface navigation?
bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:17 AM   #4
Phazma

I share every bit of bFooz feedback. Only I am not sure about volume being adjusted instantly. A mistyped decimal point can lead to pretty loud volume.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:47 AM   #5
AZpercussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
That is the same thing working differently within the single software.

The solution when working with the media item properties window is to apply the changed values right away. And then when user clicks "OK" the new values are kept. When clicked "Cancel", the new values are reverted back to the original ones. The "Apply" button is unnecessary.
Disagree!! In this case applying behavior of overall properties window is different. But it is not so bad. To have different behavior in the one window is more worse.
EDIT: Anyway you need to hit enter for closing I/O window. So, I always hit enter after typing new value.

But there is other inconsistense.
In tcp volume adjusts linked way if several tracks selected.
And with takes I expect the same, but there is not.

Last edited by AZpercussion; 07-30-2021 at 01:57 AM.
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:48 AM   #6
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
I share every bit of bFooz feedback. Only I am not sure about volume being adjusted instantly. A mistyped decimal point can lead to pretty loud volume.
For typing the value in, it should be as instantly as the "Routing for track" window (right-click the volume fader), which is currently. An instant change should be for fader moves regarding volume.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:50 AM   #7
bFooz

There's also a bug with a tabbing order. The "Take name" is focused at first but tabbing through fields goes in unexpected ways.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:57 AM   #8
bFooz

Plus again what about making this also consistent (initial focus of fields in track routing vs send).

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2283664
Old 07-30-2021, 03:43 AM   #9
TeaBone

Hi!
While we're at the topic of plugin window positions: Would it be possible to also save the state of the plugins in the monitoring FX chain?

Because here's the scenario:
I have two metering plugins in my monitoring FX chain that each reside on their own small 800x480 display in fullscreen mode. Everytime I start REAPER, I need to first doubleclick those two plugins to float them (they appear on their respective screen already, but not in fullscreen), then doubleclick inside the plugins to send them to fullscreen, and THEN doubleclick both FX in the chain again, to hide the still floating plugins that are now superimposed on the fullscrren displays of the plugins. And then of course I need to close the monitoring FX chain as well.

My dream would be:
Start REAPER, and see those two plugins pop up in fullscreen on their displays without any interaction

Would that be possible? :-)
TeaBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:51 AM   #10
akademie

Quote:
...<snip>
When doing the same via the media item propeties window, it needs either 2 seconds or a submit-click to apply the values.
<snip>...
This behavior (autoupdate after 2 seconds) was added few (major) versions back, if I remember correctly, for a good reason.
So I don't think that I would like to change it. (Also the difference between this (F2) Properties windows and other parts is decribed in few post above).

BTW, I didn't check the direction of fields when skipping using TAB (resp. Shift+TAB), but I agree that it should have some logic indeed. If it is not right then let's report that with proposed order so the devs can fix it.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:38 AM   #11
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaBone View Post
Hi!
While we're at the topic of plugin window positions: Would it be possible to also save the state of the plugins in the monitoring FX chain?

Because here's the scenario:
I have two metering plugins in my monitoring FX chain that each reside on their own small 800x480 display in fullscreen mode. Everytime I start REAPER, I need to first doubleclick those two plugins to float them (they appear on their respective screen already, but not in fullscreen), then doubleclick inside the plugins to send them to fullscreen, and THEN doubleclick both FX in the chain again, to hide the still floating plugins that are now superimposed on the fullscrren displays of the plugins. And then of course I need to close the monitoring FX chain as well.

My dream would be:
Start REAPER, and see those two plugins pop up in fullscreen on their displays without any interaction

Would that be possible? :-)
screensets & sws startup action
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:04 AM   #12
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
If it is not right then let's report that with proposed order so the devs can fix it.
The proposed order is a visual order.

BUT - with smaller heights, the order is changed and different compared to how a usual responsive designed window behaves. So the visual and expected order changes.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:10 AM   #13
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
This behavior (autoupdate after 2 seconds) was added few (major) versions back, if I remember correctly, for a good reason.
There is a checkbox switching between autoupdate after 2 seconds and no autoupdate. So I guess this could be the third option.

Quote:
In tcp volume adjusts linked way if several tracks selected.
And with takes I expect the same, but there is not.
That's a good point.

Now of course if we'd dived deeper into usability of this window and consistency software-wise we would find a lot of strangeness. But as a default and from the past experience I do not expect the devs to fix any of the usability-based issues we discuss here.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:58 PM   #14
TeaBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
screensets & sws startup action
The fullscreen state doesn't seem to get saved within a screenset :-/
TeaBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:15 PM   #15
alexgameaudio

Since there is some dev focus on hidden tracks, can we have an option to have supercollapsed = hidden? I've really wanted this, and have seen other feature requests for it for a long time.

I've used the trick where you modify rtconfig so that supercollapsed = 0px. While this works fine visually, you can still accidentally edit these 0px tracks. Would be really wonderful to just have a reaper option that says hey, I never want to use the supercollapsed feature, instead I just want these tracks to be hidden.
alexgameaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:03 PM   #16
DrKev

Quote:
+ Theme: add meter_strip_h_rms image, consistently use loudness meter theme elements for tracks that are set to meter loudness
Thank you!
Old 07-31-2021, 12:10 AM   #17
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgameaudio View Post
Since there is some dev focus on hidden tracks, can we have an option to have supercollapsed = hidden? I've really wanted this, and have seen other feature requests for it for a long time.

I've used the trick where you modify rtconfig so that supercollapsed = 0px. While this works fine visually, you can still accidentally edit these 0px tracks. Would be really wonderful to just have a reaper option that says hey, I never want to use the supercollapsed feature, instead I just want these tracks to be hidden.
But can you toggle through folder states then or do you need to unhide? Also if your theme has TCP indentation it can mess with it.

But I also have the same problem with the same workaround. Maybe just make invisible (= 0 px) tracks non-editable?
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:45 AM   #18
bFooz

Quote:
+ FX: improve default position saving behavior
Having FX chain be opened at the center of the screen is highly unpractical because the position of the fx chain window is based on the size of an empty fx chain, which is small. When a plugin is loaded, it can get offset quite a lot as the fx chain window does grow only to the right and down and does not recenter itself.

I would like to have the FX chain opened at the top left corner of the current screen. It will be at the same position every time and can resize itself freely right and down. This is not possible.

The "Automatic" behavior places the window as not to interfere with mouse or something I don't understand and is unreliable.

The "Cascade" option places the FX chain window at the position of the last opened floating or chain window, which brings us back to the starting problem of this whole fix - it is at the secondary screen.

The "Modal positioning" option I already use for floating FX to be centered. (must this be shared?).
Old 07-31-2021, 03:33 AM   #19
musicbynumbers

Regarding FX chain windows.

Can we have an option for them to be permanently docked (to the last place we had one of them docked) as what seems to happen a lot to me is that pressing the fx window on a TCP or MCP will bring the FX chain window up undocked when the track before was docked as it seems that docking is per track or something bizarre like that

I've got prefs set to only show one FX chain and to reuse it but this still happens a lot for some reason and can't work out why.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:44 PM   #20
deeb

Quote:
# Actions: handle running action to move media items to/from hidden child tracks multiple times
Seems to me that would be very versatile and interesting if we had API to:
- getHiddenTrackParent(track)
- enumHiddenChildTracks(track)

for implementing track versions/playlists/different takes system kind of stuff

And that this tracks are not displayed in Tracks Panel (maybe an option or filter)

Last edited by deeb; 07-31-2021 at 11:53 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:02 AM   #21
deeb

And also related with the possibilities of this feature, would be good if freeze could reuse always the same file per track. So we could rely on freezing heavily to free CPU processing without creating redundant/old/freezed files/garbage on Hard Disk.
And also related PRE POST CHAIN (see my signature) which would make the freezing much more flexible and joyful to use.
It would be a game changer IMO and Vision.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:40 AM   #22
bFooz

Quote:
The "Modal positioning" option I already use for floating FX to be centered. (must this be shared?).
Now I have found a particular case when sharing modal window positioning and floating FX positioning is no good.

I want to have floating FX to come up at the center of the screen. And at the same time when using the notation editor, when I double-click the notation text, I would like to have the "Edit ornament" window to come up at the mouse cursor because thats where I am positioned with mouse and eyes at that moment. Cannot be done.

And floating FX or FX chains are not modal anyway.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:45 AM   #23
akademie

Just a small glitch in naming of the action - there is "s" missing at the end (as there are more tracks, not just one

"Track: Move all media items from all hidden child track".
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:34 PM   #24
PhelixK

Master VU, loudness readout:
When using LUFS short-term, the current mode has stopped working in +Dev versions (since 632+dev0712), however it is working in official 6.33. LRA and L-S-Max. are ok.

Quote:
– yes thanks, great!
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #25
karbomusic

Quote:
For typing the value in, it should be as instantly as the "Routing for track" window (right-click the volume fader), which is currently. An instant change should be for fader moves regarding volume.
The delay is by design and for a reason when it was added (auto applying on change didn't used to exist). I can't point you to it but it was discussed in pre-release when it was added years ago.

Secondly, Apply being not needed when clicking OK is supposed to behave as such and not only done via Reaper. If the user makes changes and clicks OK, Apply is assumed and is actually run behind the scenes unless the user clicks cancel. This is a normal and expected coding convention for lack of a better term.

However... The inconsistency you see, is merely due to the delayed auto-apply on value change, being added as an additional feature, but the delay should be there IIRC, thusly it and the Apply button can both live happily together beyond nitpicking.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-01-2021 at 01:01 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:39 AM   #26
juliuskrakow

More related to fx window positioning: multi-monitor support for positioning of fx windows would be highly appreciated here. I would love it if I could designate which screen floating fx windows open on. The LBX Floating FX Positioner script used to handle this for me but it broke on macOS a while back. A native feature would be awesome.
juliuskrakow is offline   Reply With Quote