Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 01-31-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
dadada
Human being with feelings

Default Streaming reaper video with (tight) synced audio

Hi,
I sometimes collaborate with people and would like to send them a link to the video I have in reaper (or a screenshare) with audio synced. And I mean "really synced" as it would be when played locally in reaper.

I know there are some oferrings like source live from source elements:
https://source-elements.com/products/source-live
https://source-elements.com/
It seems nice but at 1K USD for the software it's pretty expensive.

Is there another way to do this that works reliably or is the only way to do it with source elements source live?

Thanks!
dadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
SonicAxiom

if you're on Windows, you can try old Windows Media Encoder. It has been discontinued but you should be able to find the 2006 version which allows you to stream any media source on your computer (screen, video file, audio file, audio live input). I'm using it to let clients listen to Reaper's output while I'm mixing/mastering from wherever they are using their browser or a media player. Latency is between 8 and 12 seconds on the receiver's end due to buffering. You can't do much about latency because you have no way to force IP packets to take a certain (the shortest) route through the internet. Sound quality is adjustable, though. I chose 320 kbps MP3 and it sounds great in the receiver's media player (which should be set to NOT alter the incoming signal AT ALL as Windows Media Player does by default!).

I never tried to add a video stream but I guess that it will only work if you have a very capable computer, a high capacity internet uplink and receiving latency will probably be considerably higher that that of audio only.

Another approach might be to use a remote desktop utility like UltraVNC for low latency video transmission and then add Windows Media Encoder or another audio streaming utility for the audio stream (audio/video sync offset could probably be remedies by using the "JS: Time adjustment" plugin).

There's also a free utility called WatchMyCam. It can be configured to stream your screen (or part of it). Latency is extremely small, however, it doesn't stream audio.

Finally, there should be a way to use ffmpeg with command line parameters to stream the desktop plus a desired audio source, however, I haven't figured it out yet.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
dadada

Thanks for all these suggestions!
I am on OSX.
Would OBS be a potential option to use or does it not keep a tight audio/video sync?
dadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
SonicAxiom

I'm not at all familiar with mac, sorry. OBS is probably capable of doing what you want. Just try it and see if it keeps video and audio in sync. I personally find it not very intuitive to work with but the results are good quality-wise.

Old 02-12-2020, 04:46 AM   #5
sir Nowt

Quote:
OBS is probably capable of doing what you want.
Should be. Then you could just share an unlisted YouTube stream link, or similar.

I have a 4th Gen i7, and tests I ran a while back with another DAW with a not-so-flash GTX-760 were fine, including using both screen-capture and window-capture at 1080p, with an audio bit-rate of 320kb/s (with an external UCX s/card).

Quote:
It seems nice but at 1K USD for the software it's pretty expensive.
Ouch. I can see the benefits, but probably highly unnecessary for your needs.

Check the 'OBS stream settings' videos here for tips for optimising & understanding OBS settings...
https://www.youtube.com/user/PocketSplit/videos
sir Nowt is offline   Reply With Quote