Old 06-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
hovmod
Human being with feelings

Default Rewire - I'm confused

I want to do the following:

Open a multi-track MIDI file in Reaper.
Send MIDI from each track to a separate module in Reason.
Send the audio from each module on a separate stereo channel in Reaper.

I can't seem to do it. I try to open Rewire on more than one track, but can't. I try to send midi from each track on a separate channel and set it up in the rewire panel, but it won't work.

Can I get a dummy run through of how Rewire is implemented, please?
hovmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Tallisman

-Open rewire-->Reason only on one track using the FX browser, rewire tab.

-click on that tracks I/O option. in the track Channels pull-down, select the number of returns you want from Reason (8=4 st outs from Reason)

-Create another track. click on its I/O. in the i/o window create a new Receive and select the Reason track from above. set the Audio Receive to: audio 3/4=>1/2 (this will take the 3/4 channel audio from reason and play it on this track's 1/2 channel which is then routed to the master)

-Duplicate that track as many times as you need audio returns from reason. on all the duplicates click the I/O icon and change the receive audio channel to 5/6=>1/2, 7/8=>1/2... etc

note that reason's 1/2 channel will play on the vsti track you first created.

also note: if you enable Feedback Routing project settings [alt]+[enter] then you can drag the midi files onto the audio return tracks and they will send midi data to Reason if: on each of those tracks you create a send to the Reason VSTi track. Con figure each of those sends as such: Audio none=>1/2 Midi 1 (2, 3, 4, etc...)=>all.

that should do it I am not in front of my Reaper now, so I may have made a mistake or 2 (i'll check later). Once you have this set up, select all the tracks involved, delete any items and save as a track template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovmod View Post
I want to do the following:

Open a multi-track MIDI file in Reaper.
Send MIDI from each track to a separate module in Reason.
Send the audio from each module on a separate stereo channel in Reaper.

I can't seem to do it. I try to open Rewire on more than one track, but can't. I try to send midi from each track on a separate channel and set it up in the rewire panel, but it won't work.

Can I get a dummy run through of how Rewire is implemented, please?

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
hovmod

Thanks.
There were a couple of tweaks I had to figure out, but you got me started enough to get it fixed. Great.

Not the simplest setup, so I'm glad I can save it as a template...
hovmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
Gun1

Default could u explain the process

could you explain the correct steps to make rewire work correctly.
Gun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:48 AM   #5
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun1 View Post
could you explain the correct steps to make rewire work correctly.
look up... two posts.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
bramvd

Default getting reason to work with reaper.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
-Open rewire-->Reason only on one track using the FX browser, rewire tab.

-click on that tracks I/O option. in the track Channels pull-down, select the number of returns you want from Reason (8=4 st outs from Reason)

-Create another track. click on its I/O. in the i/o window create a new Receive and select the Reason track from above. set the Audio Receive to: audio 3/4=>1/2 (this will take the 3/4 channel audio from reason and play it on this track's 1/2 channel which is then routed to the master)

-Duplicate that track as many times as you need audio returns from reason. on all the duplicates click the I/O icon and change the receive audio channel to 5/6=>1/2, 7/8=>1/2... etc

note that reason's 1/2 channel will play on the vsti track you first created.

also note: if you enable Feedback Routing project settings [alt]+[enter] then you can drag the midi files onto the audio return tracks and they will send midi data to Reason if: on each of those tracks you create a send to the Reason VSTi track. Con figure each of those sends as such: Audio none=>1/2 Midi 1 (2, 3, 4, etc...)=>all.

that should do it I am not in front of my Reaper now, so I may have made a mistake or 2 (i'll check later). Once you have this set up, select all the tracks involved, delete any items and save as a track template.
I've done all of the above and read and tried all the other explenations, but I don't get it... Is there someone who can ,step by step explain how i can get it to work.

This is what i,ve done:

ReWire guide...

1)Open REAPER, Insert track, add FX>Rewire>Reason.

2)Open Reason, add 2 instruments, dont use a desk, plug into the REASON hardware interface Channels 1>4.

3)Open Reaper>Reason fx plug, change rewire destinations for channels 1 and 2 in MIDI Inputs to the Reason instruments by r-clicking the busses.

4)add new track, from the i/o box, add a send to the track with the rewire plug, select midi all>midi channel 1

(this routes the midi from the track in REAPER to the ReWire plugin, the plugin routes from the track channels to the reason instruments)

5)add new track, add a send to the track with the rewire plug, select midi all>midi channel 2

To get the audio to return from Reason on seperate tracks....

6)Open in/out on the track with the rewire plug, select track channels=4, untick Master/parent send.

7)open Reaper>Reason FX plugin, in audio outs>match rewire outs to track channels

8)add 2 tracks and set recieve from rewire plug track, 1st track recieves 1+2, 2nd recieves 3+4

Press record button on the "midi send" tracks with monitoring active to hear them.

You can add up to 64 channels, looks like.

This way whatever you monitor/record will go to the right instruments in Reason without having to touch Reason and you can mix everything in REAPER.

If youre using a mixer in REASON, plug it into ch 1/2 of the REASON hardware interface and the audio will simply return on the track that has the ReWire plugin.............

Still i hear only one midi track (instrument) and can not record audio.

Thank u for your help.
bramvd is offline   Reply With Quote