Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
Ray K.
Human being with feelings

Default "Best" Keyboard or MIDI Controller?

First post here. Really enjoying Reaper and have already registered!

So, I'm on the hunt for a synth keyboard and/or MIDI keyboard controller for my home studio.

I would really appreciate any suggestions or help. Also, let's try to keep it under $700 new with a minimum of 61 keys. Extra bonus points for nice B3 sounds!

I've been impressed with the reviews and video demos of the Korg PS60. It is a performance synth, but also comes with editing software that is also a plugin for any VST/RTAS capable DAW. They are $600 - $700 new, but I'm finding clean used ones for around $500.

Here's a good/short demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGzZJgCY3cA

I'm a "hack" at keyboards, so the apparent ease of use of this one really appeals to me. One question I have about it - If I want other sounds, is it as simple as hooking a MIDI synth module to it? (ie; Roland JV-1010) I mean, I know this would work for live use, but would I also be able to get the sounds into my DAW?

Or, would I be better off going with a MIDI Controller? Say, a Roland A-37, for example? I know I could use plugins, but I have the same question as above. If I hook a MIDI synth module to it, will I be able to get these sounds into my DAW.

I primarily want E. piano, A. Piano, Organ, Synth, Strings. Brass would be a nice addition.

Thanks,
Ray K.
Ray K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
the all new rob

So unfortunately you didn't provide most of the information to help you make a selection.

If it's already apparent to you, then sorry, but what a lot of us do is use VST instruments (Reaper is a fine VST host) to produce the actual sound, and a midi controller for the input device. The VSTi does what an external sound module does (turn midi note messages into audio) but entirely in software, which has a lot of benefits. And there is a whole mess of free VSTi to play with.

I am a complete cheapass, so I went out and got a used USB midi keyboard off my local craigslist (or ebay or whatever source you prefer) for thirty bucks, and a stack of free VSTis. You may want to start with that and see how far that takes you toward your goals.

I'm not saying that you don't need the Korg, or some other thing, but the things about midi controllers that make one better than the other are maybe not highly apparent to you at this point (and I'm just inferring that by you not mentioning any of these things to us). So getting some time on a a controller without investing a lot seems like a good next step.

If you play piano sounds a lot, you may be inclined toward a weighted action, where if you play synths and organs, you probably would find weighted action interferes with the "illusion" enough to mess up your feel. Depending on your capability as a player, you may want to be able to adjust the velocity response curve of the controller (eventually if not now), so look for that as a feature. Midi controllers also tend to offer a set of general purpose knobs that Reaper will allow you to map on to parameters of your VSTis and use as performance effects (think about sweeping the filter cutoff on a synth lead or similar uses). keyboards that come with sounds differ a lot in how much they let you map their knobs to midi data, so that's a possible advantage to a dedicated controller. And of course if you ever want to play on stage, the keyboard with its own sounds is a clear advantage.

You may or may not want those types of features, so "best" will depend on your needs and wants more than on vendor features.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Ray K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the all new rob View Post
The VSTi does what an external sound module does (turn midi note messages into audio) but entirely in software, which has a lot of benefits. And there is a whole mess of free VSTi to play with.
Thanks for the reply, Rob!

Sorry I didn't provide enough initial information, but believe it or not, your reply led me exactly where I needed to go!

I'm now leaning heavily toward getting a MIDI Controller and using plugins. I have no real need to use a keyboard on stage.

That's also good news, because the MIDI controllers I've looked at are a lot less expensive than the performance keyboards...bonus!

So, I guess the more accurate question now, is what MIDI Controller(s) should I be looking at?

If more information is needed, please ask.

Thanks!
Ray K.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
DarkStar

Here are some to look at - it's best if you can try them out in a shop:

M-Audio Oxygen
M-Audio Axiom
M-Audio Axiom Pro
Roland A-800Pro
Novation SL61 MK2

Things to think about - what physical key size do you want? What key action ("synth", "semi-weighted", "hammer action") And you'll want (sooner or later) knobs and sliders and buttons for controlling the plugins.

With the money you'll save by getting a MIDI keyboard controller you'll be able to buy a software sampler and several instrument Libraries. A very good place to start in Native Instruments' Komoplete 7. You can then add further Ni or third-party libraries until your disk space runs out.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
jayendra

One with a transport control on it
I have a novation with automap - still trying to get my head around it but its pretty neat.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Ray K.

DarkStar,

Thank you very much for the list. I had already been looking online at some of these. Anyway, I wound up going by a local store and picking up an M-Audio Axiom 61. They priced matched and I saved $100USD, so I'm happy now.

I haven't been home long enough to start setting it up, but I'm eagerly looking forward to it. If I run into issues, or have questions, I'll post here in the forum.

I really appreciate your help!

Ray K.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
Ray K.

Hi Jay,

I had already been looking at what Novation had to offer as well and was really tempted. The transport control and automap features sound very useful. I believe the M-Audio Axiom has these as well. So, my decision came down to price point and availability.

Thanks,
Ray K.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:20 AM   #8
slap

Edit: nvm
Old 05-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
Ray K.

Stayed up way too late last night, but got this working within Reaper fairly quickly. I first used ReaSynth and then located a free "B3" VST which sounds quite nice.

Next step though, is learning how to program the buttons/sliders as it appears DirecLink mode (automap) is not compatible with Reaper. Too bad! So, I suppose I will have to do this manually.

Except for that, I think I'm really going to like this controller. I'm certainly pleased so far.

Edit: I forgot to ask...Is it possible to do splits and layering using this controller and the appropriate VST?

Thanks,
Ray K.