Old 05-24-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Audio Hardware Device Name

Jack Winter told me when I was first getting into Linux that I should always try to use the actual hardware device name as opposed to it's assigned number. Well today I finally had a case where something I setup almost a year ago quit working and it took me a cool minute to figure out why.

I use two M-Audio Delta 2496 cards and have to use zita-a2j to make them both available. Way back when I first set it all up I used the line "zita-a2j -d hw:3 &" in a script file that QjackCtl launches and for almost a year it's worked every time, but today I was going to record some drums and the second two channels were no longer working.

Thinking back to what changed recently the only item was an Akai MPD26 was connected at boot time, so I unplugged it, rebooted and found that my second two inputs were working again. At that point I knew some reference to hardware was being done by number rather than by name and sure enough it was in my startup file for QjackCtl.

I changed the line to this "zita-a2j -d hw:M2496_1 &" and then tried rebooting with and without the Akai MPD26 plugged into a USB port and REAPER now sees all four inputs whether the Akai is plugged in or not. The moral of the story is to always use the device name like Jack says!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Jack Winter told me when I was first getting into Linux that I should always try to use the actual hardware device name as opposed to it's assigned number. Well today I finally had a case where something I setup almost a year ago quit working and it took me a cool minute to figure out why.

I use two M-Audio Delta 2496 cards and have to use zita-a2j to make them both available. Way back when I first set it all up I used the line "zita-a2j -d hw:3 &" in a script file that QjackCtl launches and for almost a year it's worked every time, but today I was going to record some drums and the second two channels were no longer working.

Thinking back to what changed recently the only item was an Akai MPD26 was connected at boot time, so I unplugged it, rebooted and found that my second two inputs were working again. At that point I knew some reference to hardware was being done by number rather than by name and sure enough it was in my startup file for QjackCtl.

I changed the line to this "zita-a2j -d hw:M2496_1 &" and then tried rebooting with and without the Akai MPD26 plugged into a USB port and REAPER now sees all four inputs whether the Akai is plugged in or not. The moral of the story is to always use the device name like Jack says!
Thanks for posting so we might avoid that potential future snag. Like to see Jack tangle with an AI bot on Jeopardy (Linux Recording edition)...
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Thanks for posting so we might avoid that potential future snag. Like to see Jack tangle with an AI bot on Jeopardy (Linux Recording edition)...
He'd fry their circuits like a bot on Star Trek.

Turns out that having that Akai MPD26 plugged in also causes my midi ports to get shuffled. I have two midi interfaces on the M-Audio cards plus the midi on the Akai. I've got it all working now, but it's making me think more seriously about getting a Behringer UMC1820 interface with 8 mic inputs.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:29 PM   #4
Jack Winter

I'm ignoring you as I'm on vacation in Italy. In fact at a pizza convention as making pizza is another passion of mine

That said, you can find the name of the device with "cat /proc/asound/cards", the name of the devices is the one between the [] brackets.

There is also a way to nail a device to a specific "index" using the modprobe configuration file.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #5
Tobbe

Quote:

Does this work on any usb card? What is zita-a2j in this case? I did cat /proc/asound/cards to see what my UMC22 U-Phoria is named.

Code:
 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xdf220000 irq 128
 1 [CODEC          ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio CODEC
                      Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC at usb-0000:00:14.0-1, full speed
 2 [Loopback       ]: Loopback - Loopback
                      Loopback 1
I believe it's only CODEC, right? So could I use zita-a2j -d hw:CODEC_1 &, or should it somehing else?

I'm bad at these things, I know

Thanks
Old 05-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Does this work on any usb card? What is zita-a2j in this case? I did cat /proc/asound/cards to see what my UMC22 U-Phoria is named.

Code:
 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xdf220000 irq 128
 1 [CODEC          ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio CODEC
                      Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC at usb-0000:00:14.0-1, full speed
 2 [Loopback       ]: Loopback - Loopback
                      Loopback 1
I believe it's only CODEC, right? So could I use zita-a2j -d hw:CODEC_1 &, or should it somehing else?

I'm bad at these things, I know

Thanks
I'm only using zita-a2j because I have two separate M-Audio Delta 2496 cards. I can access the first card fine with no other helpers, but since you can only select one device for REAPER to use as it's audio, I have to combine the cards using QjackCtl's patchbay, and it needs the zita-a2j already running with the second card before it starts.

You would only need to be sure anywhere you are currently referencing your hardware, that you use the name instead of it's number. If you are using ALSA and picked the device in REAPER it will already have the name of the hardware, but if you have any other scripts that prepare things before REAPER starts (which was my case), that's a place that can be a problem later down the line.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I'm ignoring you as I'm on vacation in Italy. In fact at a pizza convention as making pizza is another passion of mine
Veddy cool mon! My next door neighbor is from around the Mediterranean and is a "pizza from scratch man". He makes his own sauce and blends his own seasonings, only buying cheese and toppings.

I used to brew my own beer and we'd frequently turn each other onto beers and pizzas.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:22 AM   #8
Jack Winter

Quote:
I used to brew my own beer and we'd frequently turn each other onto beers and pizzas.
+1
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #9
lilith93

I had a similar issue recently with an AKAI MPK mini keyboard:

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic...107227#p107227
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:46 PM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
I had a similar issue recently with an AKAI MPK mini keyboard:

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic...107227#p107227
So was the tweak you made to grub, a delay for the Akai device number so it has more time to be ID'd correctly?
Old 06-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #11
lilith93

Quote:
So was the tweak you made to grub, a delay for the Akai device number so it has more time to be ID'd correctly?
Actually I have to look up the the command is doing. I think it's a Device / Kernel incompatibility.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Actually I have to look up the the command is doing. I think it's a Device / Kernel incompatibility.
Ah well you got it fixed and that's what's important. I asked because I use a Flirc IR receiver that isn't ID'd the same from a cold boot vs. a reboot.

I power my computer and everything else totally off with a master rack mount power center, but when I reboot I frequently have to unplug and reinsert the Flirc for it to be recognized. From a powered off state that doesn't happen.

That said, I still love the Flirc and taught mine to use the same remote that powers on my two monitors. It can learn the IR codes from just about any remote contol, and then lets you assign keystrokes, media commands, and macros to individual buttons.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:56 PM   #13
lilith93

Quote:
Ah well you got it fixed and that's what's important. I asked because I use a Flirc IR receiver that isn't ID'd the same from a cold boot vs. a reboot.

I power my computer and everything else totally off with a master rack mount power center, but when I reboot I frequently have to unplug and reinsert the Flirc for it to be recognized. From a powered off state that doesn't happen.

That said, I still love the Flirc and taught mine to use the same remote that powers on my two monitors. It can learn the IR codes from just about any remote contol, and then lets you assign keystrokes, media commands, and macros to individual buttons.
There should be a solution too. Check this link here: https://www.silabs.com/community/int...deviceass-XzTf
Old 06-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:
There should be a solution too. Check this link here: https://www.silabs.com/community/int...deviceass-XzTf
Thanks I take a look!