Old 01-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #1
Andriko
Human being with feelings

Default Newbie Questions

Hi all,

I am using Reaper with a Behringer 404hd, and soon a Impact GX49, but have some (very noob) questions I haven't been able to figure out yet:

Dynamics:

I have written some tracks, using simulated sounds, but don't know how to get them to fade in, or crescendo etc. I add the detail to the notation score, but it doesn't do anything, and I haven't seen somewhere to add this things in (such as, pianisimo, or forte etc aswell)

Metronome:

I've probably missed something obvious, but is there a way to tap a beat manually and have the metronome calculate the BPM according to my own tapping?

Keyboard:

It hasn't arrived yet, so I may be asking something that will sort itself out - but how easy is it to set up as a notation input? I can't play piano well enough to 'record', I just want a far less tedious way of inputing notes that with the mouse.

VSTs and Amp sims:

I have found a few free ones for orchestral, and have Le Pou's guitar pack (which I haven't used yet), but can anyone recommend a guide to setting up a good guitar loop (ie. effects pedals, amps etc) to get a decent range of amp simulators going, bearing in mind I am quite dim at this in real life anyway.

And also, and recommendations for virtual instruments (especially for rock/metal, jazz and orchestral) would be highly appreciated. I'd prefer free, but if they are on the cheap end I don't mind paying for some.

Drums:

I can't play drums, and I don't really understand them - if anyone has any advice on a good drum VST, and also on building a drum line (or premade templates that I can adjust), once again I'd be delighted! That said, I suspect this is something I will just have to research as I go along.

Notation and scoring:

How do I export and import scores (preferably using Musescore)?
Also, when I cut and past part of the track on the main interface, it creates a ew 'midi' block, and doesn't copy to score into the same one I had written previously - is there an easy way to 'merge' them? Once again, I haven't found the option, though I suspect I've just missed something obvious.
(Incidentally, is Reaper able to make a score based on my guitar live record?)

I think that's everything, apologies for the long post and the dumb questions!

A
Andriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
domzy

Probably best to keep your questions direct & separate if you want people to respond. People tend to have short attention spans these days.

I'll start you off with the first couple-

you generally draw in (or perform with a knob / fader & record it) dynamics. Search for the "automation" section of the manual / videos.
I don't know anything about the scoring in Reaper though.

Just click the BPM box with your mouse to tap tempo
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:01 PM   #3
Andriko

Thanks, domzy. I thought I'd prefer one big post everyone overlooks than lots of little ones that annoy everyone!

And thanks for the tips!
Old 01-13-2021, 04:22 PM   #4
martifingers

I'll chip in on the Keyboard question as oddly I think I am well qualified to comment as I too am a very basic keyboard player!
So I can reassure you that setting up the keyboard to send MIDI to Reaper is easy (there's a Kenny video I am sure).
As to "inputting" notes , I guess you know there are two ways - playing in "real time" or step entry (entering one note at a time). Both are possible but I have little experience with the latter but I am sure it's more convenient than QWERTY. (Kenny's video :https://www.google.com/search?q=step...q1fAPm9-DqA810)

On the other hand you could try playing it in a few bars at a time - this would have the benefit of recording the dynamics as you play in a more "fluid" way than you get with with Step Entry. You can use looping and takes, editing etc. till you get it right.
The huge problem with this though (for me anyhow but I think I'm not alone) is that unless your playing is absolutely precise you get an ugly mess when it's viewed as notation. The remedy is to use Input Quantisation - and play consistently!
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #5
toleolu

For amp sims, I used to use the Voxengo BoogieX for a while, it was pretty good and included a cabinet emulator. I went back to using my pedal board and amp, but that was a personal preference choice on my part.

For drums I use the MT Power Drum Kit 2. It's pretty basic, there's better ones out there, but I'm no drummer and the different built in "grooves" that come with MT are more than enough for me to get a basic drum track.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:55 AM   #6
Bazzbass

there is no quick and easy way to get good drum tracks

some people can program drum machines and they sound like a real drummer, and LOTS of people have no idea and it shows.

I have no idea so bought an e kit . Alright,I suck at drums, but it's a lot of fun lol
Old 01-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #7
Andriko

Thanks for all the advice guys, it's been very helpful. I am pretty much all set up now, just trying to make the keyboard inputting a bit me-friendly. At the moment, the keyboard notes don't seem to enter real time as I hit the key, but have a slight lag. EDIT: That seems to have fixed itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post

On the other hand you could try playing it in a few bars at a time - this would have the benefit of recording the dynamics as you play in a more "fluid" way than you get with with Step Entry. You can use looping and takes, editing etc. till you get it right.
The huge problem with this though (for me anyhow but I think I'm not alone) is that unless your playing is absolutely precise you get an ugly mess when it's viewed as notation. The remedy is to use Input Quantisation - and play consistently!
I could try that, though my keyboard skills really are atrocious, and also, depending which instrument I am (pretending) to play through a VST, it might produce unrealistic music.

Last edited by Andriko; 01-15-2021 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:50 PM   #8
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andriko View Post

I could try that, though my keyboard skills really are atrocious, and also, depending which instrument I am (pretending) to play through a VST, it might produce unrealistic music.
I get that. Maybe a simple bass part?
I forgot to mention that you can "cheat" still further by slowing the piece down and then entering your MIDI notes (that's by altering the play rate. Just remember to set the Preserve Pitch option if you want to monitor any audio tracks you have.)
Anyhow good luck with whatever route you take.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
Andriko

Thanks, Martin. I will give it a go. It's probably a good chance for me to improve my keyboard skills anyway!