Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-09-2021, 06:40 PM   #1
zblip2@gmail.com
Human being with feelings

Default Reporting Somewhat Mac Mini M1 Success

Hi, Story short:

Super Stable whith the ReaperBetaArm Version. Don't know about 3rd party plugins but Kontakt works Flawlessly, and all the Usual functions are snappy and flawless eh.. no, Reaverb loads with weird settings and the Length slider is acting weird.. I havent worked a whole lot with the Mac Mini (3days).. Super nice and exports are blazing fast. When working with video, it is butter smooth.

...I am so happy I bought the 16 gig model...

Reporting back:

... Just worked on a show for 3 hours with video track, a bunch of audio clips and 15 tracks of midi (Kontakt) Everything works butter smooth at all levels. In terms of performances, the cpu meter never went above 3% with a buffer of 512. Imports, Render, media explorer, midi.. wow.. I know some people have issues and I only use Kontakt and for this I am grateful it is rock solid. Did a render at the end of my day: "Video Render" was at 15X speed including video Compression, and "Audio Only Render" went at 30X speed. It's the first time I have a system for which I can say: the weakest link is..me..

On another note, it used to be that I could not afford the "Mac experience" because to buy a powerfull mac was too expensive. Now I can say to you that the Mac Mini is a great opportunity to enjoy the Mac OS in the context of Production. I work with Macs a the studio (Day Job) and at home I always had a PC. It was stubbornness actually.. As if I was going to prove that Production on a PC was just as efficient... But it's not. For Starters, On a PC you have the Useless "Windows" button which takes away one modifier key and make everything awkword.. That's without saying that you actually LOOSE some functions because of this stupidity.. Why doesn't Windows let you unlock this stupid button????.. With Mac, you can Compress and extract zip files by simply Double Clicking on them, without having the stupid Winzip app popping in your face with its over the top complex and useless options. I Tell you, I actually Bought Winzip... But the UI is so fu@#Ked up, I never understood how it worked and I was using the free RAR freeware I downloaded from the net.. I hate that piece of crap Winzip.. And Now it's popping Advertisements in my face all the time, asking me to renew my suscription...yes!, you have to PAY to unzip files on Windows.. Also, navigating through the files is more fluent on a Mac, the List/Icons options are more to the point and intuitive, you can play any media file by just pressing the space bar, (in windows you have to double click and wait for the Windows player to boot up and it takes forever.. The typos are nicer in Mac and easier to read, Searching for a file is less confusing,... EVERYTHING is more efficient.. I don't have to mess around with security issues and constant updates which add absolutely nothing new, Microsoft is such a crappy company.. For example, I am French Canadian, so my windows is a french (Canada) version. Each time Windows Updates, it asks me to prove I am Me, and asks me to write my password which by the way I never remember because they require you to have a Upper case, a lower case, this many numbers, this and that and a special character.. anyway.. So, back to the Password Entry: Imagine that because it is a "French" version of Windows, at the moment at which I have to enter my complex password, the Keyboard goes to French (EUROPE) style, meaning AZERTY! Yes!! instead of QWERTY!!!! So my pass word fails every time and I don't know why.. Can you imagine? What a complete Sh!t Show!!! Microsoft has been there for ages, but they never tried to make things simple and efficient.. They just make their program more bulky and complex every year with redundant things everywhere.. It tries to do what Google does, and creates a mess at it.. It is just a big pile of... ok.. You get the point.. I wish they could read this, but they don't care anyway. Everyone at Microsoft are driving around in Mercedes and going to Yoga classes during the day and group therapy.. They're not even at the office anymore.. But Now, I have my cute Mac Mini on the table right in front of me. It is completely silent.. I did not once hear the fan... is there a fan?.. If it was a car, what would I compare it to? A Cadillac? no.. A BMW?.. not my style.. Certainely not a Ferrari... The Mack mini is not about being flashy.. it is.. It is Sporty, Efficient, not expensive, Fun, It packs a punch.. it's got class and it's a classic at the same time,,, ok I got it: It's a Golf GTI. Yeah... With a manual Transmission please

Last edited by zblip2@gmail.com; 02-09-2021 at 11:02 PM.
zblip2@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote