COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 07-19-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
EMRenegadeS
Human being with feelings

Default A bit of server trouble....

Hey guys. This software looks like it might keep me occupied for hours at a time if I could get the server to work. I downloaded the linux server to run on my....linux server(ha ha). It's inside a network that's entirely behind a firewall but anyway that's not really the problem. Prior to even finding this software I had set up a web server which functions perfectly.

People can go to zeppo.warcholik.com (nothing there right now but I've tested it) which is actually requesting port 2020 on my firewall. My firewall's configured to route all requests to my server's port 2020(for conveniency's sake) which my apache server was listening on. I configured ninjam to listen on 2020 and every computer inside the firewall can connect to the server...but it has a problem with people outside. My friend keeps getting some generic "error: can't connect to server" error and now we're stuck. (I turned off my webserver just so there's no possibility of anything interfering) Should I go ahead and open another port on my firewall and have it route requests to 2049?

Heh, I guess that was a pretty wordy way of saying it....but thanks for your time.
EMRenegadeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
mnology

I've opened up and redirected traffic for ninjamserver on my firewall and not had any problems with friends connecting. If your friend is just typing zeppo.warcholik.com in to the ninjam client, he won't get to your ninjam server.

When you open up a port(different from what apache is running on) for ninjam, have your friend put zeppo.warcholik.com:<whatever port you open> in to the ninjam client.

Is this what you're asking?
mnology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
EMRenegadeS

Default (Thank you for your quick reply...though...)

Not exactly. I see where you're coming from but I suppose I forgot to mention our "No-IP" domain and redirection service. My dad, a while back, purchased for us the www.warcholik.com domain(really just for the mail service, but i thought 'why not set up a webserver too?') Thanks to their service...the subdomain (zeppo).warcholik.com IS really a redirection my port 2020. I just more-or-less assumed the problem was just me misunderstanding the config file. If it to allow all users, shouldn't it....well, allow all of them? Thanks again for your time.

-Mike Warcholik
EMRenegadeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
mnology

Aha, I see. I use a no-ip service as well, but all it does is translate my isp's address in to an easily memorable name. All the port forwarding is handled by how my firewall is configured.

I'd just ensure that your firewall has a port open for ninjamserver and that it's directing requests for that port, to the machine that's running ninjam server. If you're not using dhcp on your home network, this shouldn't be too hard.
mnology is offline   Reply With Quote