Old 12-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #1
tusitala
Human being with feelings

Default Articulations Manager ?

Dear developers,

Was wandering if we could have an official word from someone about the idea of implementing an Articulation Management feature.

I was hoping for Version 6 (which is awesome anyway!) but I saw it's not there...would you be able to at least tell us if it's in development, if it's in the books, and If can hope to get it sometime in the near future?

Unfortunately with the massive amount of libraries and articulations, it's become pretty much necessary and definitely indispensable for me. I despise Logic but have to keep using it in the meanwhile because of this specific reason.

Thank you so much if you'll be able and willing to let me know and have an "official" statement from you.

All the best

:-)

-t
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
Masi

I used to play with articulations with Notion (a notation software). They had a not very impressive "manager" if you will like to call it.

Anyway, my point is that it was more than just a mapping of articluations to key switches.

Perhaps you can elaborare a bit more on what you expect from Reaper.

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
tusitala

Hi Masi, sure.
(I know Notion but that's not what I was thinking)

The best articulation systems in existence so far are Logic Articulation Sets (that use Articulations IDs) and Cubase's Expression Maps (only using the "attribute" function, not the direction).

I've described it in other posts in detail but here's a recap and a video of how the Logic solution works:

- Articulations should be "glued" to the notes themselves, not another "layer" that has to be controlled separately, they should be a parameter that's intrinsic of the note...for the only reason that you can select a bunch of notes, set them to "pizzicato" (for example) then move them around, copy them to a different track or different position, and they will still preserve their articulation. Exactly like in a dedicated notation software.

As a more graphical explanation of what I mean, I took a video of Logic's way of doing this, hoping it might be useful (at least for non-Logic users)

PS: Don't get me wrong, I hate Logic and prefer every aspect of Reaper...but have to admit that Logic nailed the articulation management system, even more than Cubase and than anything else in my opinion...check out in my video how fast and seamless it is to try out and switch articulations on existing passages, regardless of the editor you're in.

And if tracks use consistent articulation sets (like in my example), parts can then be copied and pasted between tracks retaining the articulation changes.

And the score even reflects some of the more popular ones by adding the relative symbols (staccato dots etc etc)

Thanks in advance and hope my posts on this matter could be useful :-)

All the best!

-t
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
DaniloVillanova

Just wanted to bump this in support. Please give us an articulation manager!

That’s the one feature that will turn REAPER into the best DAW for composers.

Pretty pleaseeeeeee 🙏
DaniloVillanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:17 AM   #5
mpl

take a look at https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=200022
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:28 AM   #6
thevisi0nary

Reaticulate is basically one of the feet I stand on with reaper, it’s absolutely essential for my set up. It can be a little difficult at first learning how to configure your articulation banks, but it’s dead simple to use after that. Tack did an amazing job with this.

I have an articulation map for every kontakt patch with keyswitches, all saved on individual and group track templates. When I want to write with literally any of those I just hit a shortcut, pick the track template, and it’s all right there.

I can’t imagine an articulation manager that’s easier to use after it’s set up.
thevisi0nary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:43 AM   #7
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniloVillanova View Post
Just wanted to bump this in support. Please give us an articulation manager!

That’s the one feature that will turn REAPER into the best DAW for composers.

Pretty pleaseeeeeee 🙏
+1. Thought reaticulate seems very good, I feel a native solution akin to Logic or Cubase system (but please not as buggy as the latest Cubase version ) would be great :-)
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #8
benf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusitala View Post
- Articulations should be "glued" to the notes themselves, not another "layer" that has to be controlled separately, they should be a parameter that's intrinsic of the note...for the only reason that you can select a bunch of notes, set them to "pizzicato" (for example) then move them around, copy them to a different track or different position, and they will still preserve their articulation. Exactly like in a dedicated notation software.
Don't you think your wish needs MPE integration https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/supp...nt-what-is-mpe ?
Think this is much work to do for Cockos team if they really want to integrate really well articulation feature...