Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
simplecarnival
Human being with feelings

Default "Abort on digital over" checkbox option for bouncing and rendering tracks

I'm not sure if a zero level in Reaper is a true digital over or if there's a bit of leeway, but it would be terrific if there were a preference where Reaper would abort a bounce or a render if it detects any digital overs in the master bus while bouncing.

It's a minor thing, but it's a bit tedious to watch bounces/renders for digital overs... I'd much rather be able to walk away and come back with an error message saying I had a digital over so I could adjust my levels properly.
simplecarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:11 AM   #2
Bulls Hit

But wouldn't you have already seen the master faders hit the reds during playback of the mix before you render?

If you're talking about the 0.1 overs that sometimes sneak through, you could just put a limiter on the master bus while rendering. No more overs
Bulls Hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
simplecarnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Hit View Post
But wouldn't you have already seen the master faders hit the reds during playback of the mix before you render?
Not always. I want to make sure if I'm rendering some soloed tracks or doing a "render selected tracks to disk", the levels should be as hot as they can be without clipping. Otherwise, you lose some bit depth you'll never get back.

So if you set some levels for a few tracks which you think are reasonable and won't clip the master bus and then want to render those few tracks (not the whole mix) immediately afterwards, you won't know if you hit a digital over unless you listen to the soon-to-be-rendered-tracks the whole way through. Of course, you can run out of headroom before you hit the master bus if you don't gain stage the signal correctly through plugins or folder tracks, but for the sake of example let's say those are set correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Hit View Post
If you're talking about the 0.1 overs that sometimes sneak through, you could just put a limiter on the master bus while rendering. No more overs
But then you've changed the sound of whatever you're rendering. The point of rendering is to get back exactly what you put into it, not run the risk of introducing dynamics processing at a point when you didn't want it.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
antiClick

Maybe you just need to untick the
"Automatically Close When finished", so you will be able to know if the file clipped during render without having to look at your monitor during the process.

The window will remain open showing you the red lights
antiClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
simplecarnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiClick View Post
Maybe you just need to untick the
"Automatically Close When finished", so you will be able to know if the file clipped during render without having to look at your monitor during the process.

The window will remain open showing you the red lights
Thanks! I never thought to unclick that...

OK, feature request closed!