Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
Mayor of Simpleton
Human being with feelings

Default What exactly goes in Reaper VST Folder?

Hello all!

So I should put .dll files, VST, & VST3 files in my VST folder so Reaper can find them.

How about samples, loops, sound libraries, sound banks, presets? Where should they go?

Should I keep .dll files & VST files in their install folders, or move them out into the VST Folder?

Should I keep .txt, .log, .dat, .cmd, and other files, or do I just need the actual VST & .dll files?

Sorry for all the questions. TIA for your help!

MoS
Mayor of Simpleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:23 AM   #2
Gibson_GM

Hi, I'm no 'power user', but I made a folder on C: drive called "VSTs". When I DL a VST with a .dll, it goes into that (just the dll file). Reaper's VST preferences are set to look at that path to find new additions.

VST3's go in their own folder (my Reaper has that as programfiles/commonfiles/vst3, check your path) - this seems important...

If the download came with an installer, I simply use that. Choose "Install to:" and pick my C: folder path or the VST3 one they offer. Let the other stuff like libraries go where the installer recommends...you may have to find them later, but at least the proggie knows where they are. No problems to-date.

AFAIK, a simple vst .dll runs on its own - If the download 'installed things', I leave them. If it comes in a folder with multiple dlls, I use the 64bit and leave the rest, with no issues that I can see. Keeping documentation files like the read me and manual are up to you...if in doubt, I put it ALL in the VST folder on C: so it's there in the future.

HTH
Gibson_GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:58 AM   #3
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of Simpleton View Post
Should I keep .dll files & VST files in their install folders, or move them out into the VST Folder?
Some payware plug-ins don't allow moving them, it's usually better to check how you can install them to a custom location of your choice (e.g. your VST folder) in first place but the process is not really straightforward with some plug-ins and many are installing stuff in multiple locations so it's not easy to give a general recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of Simpleton View Post
How about samples, loops, sound libraries, sound banks, presets? Where should they go?
Big (or a big number of) libraries with (accumulated) 10,000s of individual files can slow down the plug-in search, so if the plug-in lets you specify a folder for its libraries, you may prefer using a folder outside of the VST search path you have set in Preferences.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:39 AM   #4
masonsjax

This whole system is a mess. I really wish it was all standardized to a single path of the user's choosing. I started out trying to put everything in one place, but as mentioned, many installers don't let you choose, or let you choose VST location but not VST3 location. As a result, I've got stuff scattered everywhere, some in their own folders, others all thrown together.

It would be really nice if a portable install could also include all your VSTs to make any project truly portable.
masonsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:56 AM   #5
Mayor of Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
many are installing stuff in multiple locations.

Big (or a big number of) libraries with (accumulated) 10,000s of individual files can slow down the plug-in search, so you may prefer using a folder outside of the VST search path you have set in Preferences.
Thanks!
That's the problem. I've tried moving some VST3s to a VST3 folder and .dlls to a .dll folder, and having Reaper scan those. So far, so good...
Old 10-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #6
Mayor of Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsjax View Post
This whole system is a mess. I really wish it was all standardized to a single path of the user's choosing. I started out trying to put everything in one place, but as mentioned, many installers don't let you choose, or let you choose VST location but not VST3 location. As a result, I've got stuff scattered everywhere, some in their own folders, others all thrown together.

It would be really nice if a portable install could also include all your VSTs to make any project truly portable.
Exactly! It's taking a long time to scan. That's why I just want to move spund libraries, presets, etc out of the scanned folders.

I guess I'll just have to proceed with caution, making sure I can undo any changes that I make,

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2021, 04:32 PM   #7
DVDouglas
Banned

For me, it's usually better to check how you can install them to a custom location of your choice, too
DVDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote