Old 11-19-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
brandon.payne
Human being with feelings

Default At my wit's end and about to quit Reaper

I fell in love with Reaper a couple months ago after using Ableton and have been thoroughly enjoying it. Two weeks ago, I got a new computer and transferred my SSD to this new PC. After about a week of troubleshooting, deleting all VSTs, redownloading them, and doing everything else I could think of, I'm just about to give up. After doing all of the above, I was able to get most (not all) of my VSTs to start showing up in Reaper. Things were working well for the most part. Today, Reaper stopped showing about 3/4ths of my plugins again. I would use a VST on a track, open up a new project and attempt to use the same VST and it is just gone from Reaper and can't be found from re-searching. I am so frustrated. The directories are the same, the VST files are all in the same folder, clearing the cache and searching does nothing. I have uninstalled and redownloaded reaper probably 8 times at this point.

I don't get much time for music and it has frustrated me to no end that what little time I have is spent troubleshooting and getting practically nowhere. If anyone has any advice AT ALL, I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
brandon.payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
brandon.payne

Things I have tried so far:

-Changing SSDs
-Reinstalling Reaper
-Reinstalling all VSTs
-Reaching out to customer support of several plugin developers
-Percussive maintenance
-Clearing the cache
-Changing file location
-Changing directories
-Banging my head against the wall
-Restarting my computer
-Running Reaper as an administrator
-Deleting the .ini files
-Opening and closing Reaper 50 times
-Downloading new plugins (which also don't show up)
-Right now, I am downloading another DAW and seeing if all my plugins show up in there. Will update.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon.payne View Post
I fell in love with Reaper a couple months ago after using Ableton and have been thoroughly enjoying it. Two weeks ago, I got a new computer and transferred my SSD to this new PC. After about a week of troubleshooting, deleting all VSTs, redownloading them, and doing everything else I could think of, I'm just about to give up. After doing all of the above, I was able to get most (not all) of my VSTs to start showing up in Reaper. Things were working well for the most part. Today, Reaper stopped showing about 3/4ths of my plugins again. I would use a VST on a track, open up a new project and attempt to use the same VST and it is just gone from Reaper and can't be found from re-searching. I am so frustrated. The directories are the same, the VST files are all in the same folder, clearing the cache and searching does nothing. I have uninstalled and redownloaded reaper probably 8 times at this point.

I don't get much time for music and it has frustrated me to no end that what little time I have is spent troubleshooting and getting practically nowhere. If anyone has any advice AT ALL, I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
not sure but so others can help better, what OS, version of Reaper, directory path to your vsts ......etc......more info the better. There is no option to give up Reaper. It's that good. You just have to overcome a few warts and you'll be golden for life.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
domzy

maybe you could mention what os, version of reaper and some examples of the plugins you're missing (any common factors - manufacturer, vst2 or 3, copy-protection etc).
Did anything happen between today & the last time it was working ok - any updates or software / hardware changes etc?
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
fakemaxwell

Take a screenshot of this page in preferences.

Also, have you tried a portable install?
fakemaxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #6
brandon.payne

Sorry guys, Running windows 10, Reaper v6.15/x64. I have tried rolling back to older versions of Reaper as well.

I'm having trouble uploading a screenshot on here, but the plug-in paths are:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins;C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

No common factors that I can tell. An example, I have not been able to get Camel Crusher to load at all. Bitsonic Keyzone was working fine yesterday, but is completely gone from Reaper today.

I have not tried a portable install.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #7
fakemaxwell

Can you look and see if the Camel Crusher VST file is located in one of those folders?

Type "only show" into the Preferences search on the lower left and make sure nothing is in that box.

Also check and see if anything here is not selected:
fakemaxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #8
brandon.payne

I am finding Camel Crusher in that folder. None of those options are unchecked, and there is nothing that says "Only show".

I do, however, have some exciting developments. I just downloaded the trial of FL studio, and it is also unable to find all the same plugins that Reaper is not finding. So first off, I'd like to apologize to Reaper for directing so much undeserved anger at you. Second of all, I'm still no closer to solving my problem lol. So obviously, it has something to do with how the plugins are being stored on my PC then if no DAW can find them, but I don't know what. I just tried redownloading a couple of them, but they still are not showing up in the DAWs. Anyone have advice for this now?
Old 11-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #9
serr

Quote:
transferred my SSD to this new PC.
I might assume you verified that all the devices in the new machine had proper OS and driver support first. If you didn't though... I know that newer versions of OSX install packages depending on the target machine. I'm told Windows is supposed to be even more like that and going back much further.

Have you done a clean install and migrated your account back just to rule that out?

If the trouble started following putting an existing system install into new hardware, that's a red flag.

Some random app actually corrupting its source files or something so it has to be reinstalled isn't really a thing in my experience FWIW.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #10
brandon.payne

I have not tried a clean install, but I have ensured that all drivers and software are up to date. Also, this PC has two SSDs. When I noticed that Reaper wasn't finding plugins, I migrated a lot of the plugins from my SSD that was in my last computer onto the new SSD. This seemed to help a little bit in that I could get SOME plugins to show up. I have since deleted all of the VSTs off my old drive, so they should only be on the new one. I just tried downloading a couple of new plugins, but none of those are being picked up by the DAWs at all.

What's confusing me the most is that every single one of my plugins is located in the exact same folder, yet only 20% of them are being recognized?
Old 11-19-2020, 11:33 AM   #11
valy

I've had issues before when I installed the VST and VST3 versions of the same plugin. REAPER only detects the first (?) of these sometimes, and for some reason that one wasn't showing up at all. Deleting that one made the other show up. No idea if that's what's going on here, but it sounds possible
valy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:48 AM   #12
brandon.payne

Unfortunately, that's not the issue either. I am going to try to wipe any trace of any VST or DAW from my system and see how that goes.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:49 AM   #13
valy

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's not the issue either. I am going to try to wipe any trace of any VST or DAW from my system and see how that goes.
So you are only installing one version of the troublesome VSTs?
Old 11-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #14
brandon.payne

Yeah, 80% of my VSTs aren't loading and many of them only have one version. I'm just cleaning it all out. When redownloading, should I just let them install where they want, or should I change it to a specific folder?
Old 11-19-2020, 12:18 PM   #15
akademie

Maybe some "Microsoft Visual C++" libraries (.DLLs) are missing?? (So then plugins which require those libraries do not work correctly and therefore cannot be scanned/used).

Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64) from Official Microsoft Download Center:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=14632

(Also other, like C++ 2013 and C++ 2015 libraries may be required).

Last edited by akademie; 11-19-2020 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Microsoft C++ 2010 library download link added
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:21 PM   #16
Softsynth

Never move the VST3 plugin folders. The VST plugins can go where you like. If say you want a single plugin folder you can do that for the standard VSTs.
I call those standard but VST3 will replace VST/I Plugins over time. The most newly developed plugins or even starting to come through only as VST3.

Check you've had all the Windows updates - but it sounds like you've done all that stuff.
check you haven't got anything written in the Reaper plugins search box as that will limit you to whatever words you typed in.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:22 PM   #17
valy

Quote:
Yeah, 80% of my VSTs aren't loading and many of them only have one version. I'm just cleaning it all out. When redownloading, should I just let them install where they want, or should I change it to a specific folder?
Mine are all over the place, as long as you have the right paths in the REAPER preferences it should find them*

*I always let the installer put them where it wants them though
Old 11-19-2020, 01:18 PM   #18
Dr Bob

Just to echo ... do NOT move your VST3 plugins, they are installed into a "standard" folder.

On windows c:\program files\common files\vst3 or c:\program files (x86)\common files\vst3

Ideally, set up a folder structure of your own (I have C:\VST\) and in that have subfolders \64-bit\ and \32-bit\.

Then if I simply have a .dll to drop in, I just dump it in the 64 or 32 bit folder. If the VST2 has an installer, then I let it install into its data into its "program folder" but direct the VST2 .dlls to go to the appropriate folders, ie 64-bit or 32-bit.

This way I can keep track of my VST's easily, and also have a short search path in REAPER.

Finally, keep a copy of your installers and registration codes on a memory stick or burn to a CD in case everything goes AWOL.

HTH (just a little bit?)

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #19
brandon.payne

Well, in case anyone else ever needs this thread. My solution appears to be working so far. I spent hours scrubbing my computer of every single Reaper file and every single file that had anything to do with a plugin. Documents, .dmg's, .dll's, .vst's, you name it. Gone. Now I am slowly reinstalling everything and so far, so good. Thank you to everyone who took time out of their day to help me with my issue and good luck!
Old 11-19-2020, 01:25 PM   #20
ErBird

Reaper must be blacklisting your plugins for some reason.

Are you using a mix of x86 and x64 plugins?
Is there anything in common among the missing plugins?
Do they rely on iLok or other licensing software?

When a plugin disappears in Reaper how does its entry in reaper-vstplugins.ini or reaper-vstplugins64.ini change?
If you delete the entry, does the plugin appear again?

Have you checked the Windows event viewer for faults related to the missing .dll's?
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:33 PM   #21
Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Maybe some "Microsoft Visual C++" libraries (.DLLs) are missing?? (So then plugins which require those libraries do not work correctly and therefore cannot be scanned/used).

Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64) from Official Microsoft Download Center:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=14632

(Also other, like C++ 2013 and C++ 2015 libraries may be required).
Seconded, I've had VSTs disappear and installing the VC++ library fixed it. In one case, a particular VST needed the 2013 version specifically.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:04 AM   #22
mschnell

It's a PITA that VSTs that don't work because some component (such as the C++ library) is missing don't show any error message when Reaper does a "scan" and they don't work.

I am not sure if Reaper can do anything about this.

Anyway it's highly recommended to decently install all plugins on a new PC and not just move the (or in fact some of) the necessary files. This should take care of missing files and licensing issues, that also might occur and make such plugins unusable and/or unfindable.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-20-2020 at 11:23 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:07 AM   #23
Dr Bob

To the OP ...

I have had to add various C++ Redistributables over time to make some VST's work (and be recognised by Reaper).

To date I have all the libs from 2005 to the present!!! That's 15 years worth of C++ libs!

It's often not possible to work out which lib is required other than starting at the beginning and installing them one by one until the VST works!

Glad you are getting back to some form of normal. Well done for persevering. The Forum is always keen to help, that's Reaper for you!

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #24
europa_man

Default Portable Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemaxwell View Post
Take a screenshot of this page in preferences.

Also, have you tried a portable install?
When I was having issues with Reaper, I decided to a do portable install and have never looked back.
Things are stable with my setup and I have a lot of plugins. I sometimes have problems with one Waves plugin I purchased - CLA MixHub. It comes and goes.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:04 PM   #25
themixtape

Quote:
Well, in case anyone else ever needs this thread. My solution appears to be working so far. I spent hours scrubbing my computer of every single Reaper file and every single file that had anything to do with a plugin. Documents, .dmg's, .dll's, .vst's, you name it. Gone. Now I am slowly reinstalling everything and so far, so good. Thank you to everyone who took time out of their day to help me with my issue and good luck!
Hope you're still good, dude. Hope you got everything working.

Smartest thing I've done is just wipe the computer clean (as in, back up important files, then format.. then reinstall). I'm on Windows, so I'm unsure the Mac process but when in doubt... fresh install.

And as others mentioned-- be sure to install all the important runtimes/C++ Libraries for Windows (there's a small handful needed that basically make certain things work), as well as the 64-bit Java, and the current .NET runtime and DirectX installs. That makes everything work. Plugins always show up.

Further, portable install of Reaper.

Last edited by themixtape; 11-21-2020 at 09:20 PM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote