v6.36+dev0913a - September 13 2021
* Includes feature branch: ReaLimit
* Includes feature branch: MIDI editor note reordering
* Includes feature branch: media item lanes
# ReaComp: fix crash with legacydeprecatedAA enabled
# ReaComp: safer locking when changing channel state via configuration load

v6.36+dev0913 - September 13 2021
+ JSFX: update Flanger preset [t=4908]
+ MIDI input: process sysex messages when the terminating byte is a standalone packet [t=257456]
+ ReaComp: allow configuration of 1-64 channels, optional multi-mono and multi-stereo modes
+ VST: improve VST2 program support for old plug-ins that do not support effGetProgramNameIndexed
+ VST: improve naming of unnamed programs
# ReaLimit/ReaEQ: do not change channel count when loading presets
# ReaLimit: with link enabled, double click on slider or embedded UI resets both limit and ceiling

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases

Last edited by Edgemeal; 09-13-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
sockmonkey72
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
+ MIDI input: process sysex messages when the terminating byte is a standalone packet [t=257456]
Wow, thanks for the unbelievably quick turnaround on that.
sockmonkey72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
Mercado_Negro

REAPER is crashing with this build. It's 100% reproducible here. It crashes when I try to open a project. I've tried with several projects and they all crash.

Log: https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...pFVmoBb4fVGQRk
Old 09-13-2021, 03:14 PM   #4
fakemaxwell

Quote:
+ ReaComp: allow configuration of 1-64 channels, optional multi-mono and multi-stereo modes
I have a feeling a few people are going to be very excited about this...

It seems to be working well. Is this only going to work for native plugins, or can it eventually expand to 3rd party plugins?
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 03:29 PM   #5
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
REAPER is crashing with this build. It's 100% reproducible here. It crashes when I try to open a project. I've tried with several projects and they all crash.

Log: https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...pFVmoBb4fVGQRk
Ah thanks, fixing for 0913a coming shortly
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #6
ferropop

FR : a gainstage right before the input of the limiter?

Literally the slider from Volume Adjustment.js would make all the difference in controlling what comes into the limiter.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:25 PM   #7
schwa
Administrator

Why though?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #8
Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Why though?
If you go into the limiter with a signal with e.g. -10 dB peak and you want to precisely make a low GR like 0.5-1dB, it is quite inconvenient if the meter scales to a range of 10 dB. I like the fact that it scales automatically, but that can sometimes get in the way. Being able to adjust the input level directly in ReaLimit would fix this and eliminate the need to reach for an additional plugin.
But I think an additional vertical zoom option for the display range of the GR meter would make more sense than a pre gain.

Last edited by Zeno; 09-13-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:12 PM   #9
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ah thanks, fixing for 0913a coming shortly
Thanks, Justin! Fixed in 0913a indeed!
Old 09-13-2021, 10:45 PM   #10
ferropop

Quote:
Why though?
In the pop/hip-hop world where you're pulling in samples, everything is normalized (or often clipped) to 0dBFS. Add an 808 into the mix, and we're overshooting at +6 without batting an eye, resulting in 6dB limiting right off the hop.

There's of course something to be said about proper gain staging, but realistically we're rocking 64bit FP and this really doesn't matter in these commercial genres' workflows.

Without the pre-limiter gain, we'd be either going to the track level and lowering everything (destroying pre-fader send balances) or using a volume trim plugin on the master.

Just saying, most other limiters have an input gain you just dip a bit to get reasonable levels into the limiter.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:00 AM   #11
bigjoe

To me the “we have 64bit fp” statement is just an excuse to do things the wrong way.

First if you use legacy plugins via the bridge, chances are the plugin is clipping anyway, then when import samples you can import them already lowered in volume via the media explorer.
also, the limiter should be the last thing in a chain, so you have plenty of options to lower the volume of your mix right before the limiting stage.
And if you refer to rendering stage, you can just use the master fader.

To me is not a needed feature, but maybe it’s just me
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:06 AM   #12
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
In the pop/hip-hop world where you're pulling in samples, everything is normalized (or often clipped) to 0dBFS. Add an 808 into the mix, and we're overshooting at +6 without batting an eye, resulting in 6dB limiting right off the hop.

There's of course something to be said about proper gain staging, but realistically we're rocking 64bit FP and this really doesn't matter in these commercial genres' workflows.

Without the pre-limiter gain, we'd be either going to the track level and lowering everything (destroying pre-fader send balances) or using a volume trim plugin on the master.

Just saying, most other limiters have an input gain you just dip a bit to get reasonable levels into the limiter.
+1. It doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, it's a workflow many use so I think it's a good idea :-)
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:42 AM   #13
schwa
Administrator

If you have a signal coming in at +6 dB, you can set the limit to +6 and the ceiling to -6 (or whatever) for negative makeup gain. That would be exactly equivalent to applying input gain of -12 and limiting at -6.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:12 AM   #14
chema001

Quote:
+ JSFX: update Flanger preset [t=4908]
In fact, that topic has been being updated after this RC was created. It should be interesting to follow the new additions because it seems that the flanger preset has been improved even more.
chema001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:50 AM   #15
timothys_monster

I think there should be an input and output gain for every plugin you use. Just like the dry/wet knob. It helps a lot for A/Bing the actual difference in sound
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:18 AM   #16
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
FR : a gainstage right before the input of the limiter?

Literally the slider from Volume Adjustment.js would make all the difference in controlling what comes into the limiter.
I just use the JS Volume/Pan Smoother v5 if I need a gain-stage anywhere. But, having said that, +1 for @timothys_monster's suggestion for having built-in input/output volume knobs like the generic wet/dry knob. The ability to gain-stage before or after every plugin instance even for those without such functionality would be epic! I use the Reaper wet/dry knob even when there's a built-in option TBH

Last edited by chmaha; 09-14-2021 at 05:30 AM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #17
juan_r

Maybe it's not the proper place, but I agree with @ferropop, @BethHarmon and others in wanting an input trim control for all plugins where it makes sense - and a limiter is one use case where it does make much sense.

If I can add a personal note, I'd love such input trim to be adjustable numerically too, for added precision; not only by mouse dragging.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #18
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
If you have a signal coming in at +6 dB, you can set the limit to +6 and the ceiling to +0 for negative makeup gain. That would be exactly equivalent to applying input gain of -6 and limit/ceiling at +0.
Just repeating this (changed the numbers to maybe make it more clear). These two things are exactly equivalent, and the output of both would null.

We could increase the headroom on the limit slider to +6 or something, so you wouldn't have to type in the limit value.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:54 AM   #19
Mercado_Negro

Just noticed that AU plug-ins are misbehaving on REAPER ARM. Every time you close and reopen the User Interface of a AU plug-in it appears a bit lower on the screen until it reaches the bottom of the screen. GIF here (please download):

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...clRvzWfBdRbJzy
Old 09-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #20
ferropop

Quote:
Just repeating this (changed the numbers to maybe make it more clear). These two things are exactly equivalent, and the output of both would null.

We could increase the headroom on the limit slider to +6 or something, so you wouldn't have to type in the limit value.
Seems totally reasonable and eliminates an extra slider.

Echoing the idea for a universal per-plugin input trim right by the wet/dry.

Further to this, an automatic "set trim to -18dB (or short-term-LUFS etc)" while receiving audio would instantly create a better gain-staging solution than any other DAW. Similar to HoRNet LU Meter MK2, while audio is playing click the button and it calculates and sets the trim to whatever you choose. Instant gainstaging for analog emulation plugins that expect -18, or whatever -- no need for utility plugins littering the chain. Yes, a FR in the pre forum, yes I suck along with the rest of us haha.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:30 PM   #21
chema001

Quote:
Originally Posted by chema001 View Post
In fact, that topic has been being updated after this RC was created. It should be interesting to follow the new additions because it seems that the flanger preset has been improved even more.
Has it finally been updated to the last modifications? This version was released on 13th september, but the flanger preset was improved later...
chema001 is offline   Reply With Quote