Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-20-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
JazzCat
Human being with feelings

Default Ugritone offers Linux .VST3 (rock drum kits)

All, they don't advertise it, but our Finnish friends at Ugritone have great heavy metal drum kits available and they do support Linux. The .VST is available for download (along with Windows and MAC ones) when you purchase. I purchased a basic kit. It works, although some of the samples for some of the presets are missing, but nothing that cannot be overcome. They sound terrific.

https://ugritone.com/

Show them some gratitude for their Linux support if you need a good commercial rock drum set VST and VST3 that's Linux native.

Last edited by JazzCat; 08-20-2021 at 12:06 PM.
JazzCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:45 PM   #2
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzCat View Post
All, they don't advertise it, but our Finnish friends at Ugritone have great heavy metal drum kits available and they do support Linux. The .VST is available for download (along with Windows and MAC ones) when you purchase. I purchased a basic kit. It works, although some of the samples for some of the presets are missing, but nothing that cannot be overcome. They sound terrific.

Show them some gratitude for their Linux support if you need a good commercial rock drum set VST and VST3 that's Linux native.
Some of the samples for some of the presets!? That doesn’t instill confidence....
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:43 AM   #3
fruen

Default What kit?

What drum kit specific have native Linux support?
fruen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:59 AM   #4
Mcgiver69

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruen View Post
What drum kit specific have native Linux support?
If I'm not mistaken only Riot Drums 2 has Linux native version, they promised all will have it eventually.

BTW Riot Drums sound really good and can be used in more than Metal.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:38 PM   #5
fruen

Default Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
If I'm not mistaken only Riot Drums 2 has Linux native version, they promised all will have it eventually.

BTW Riot Drums sound really good and can be used in more than Metal.
Looking forward
Old 08-27-2021, 04:48 AM   #6
cern.th.skei

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken only Riot Drums 2 has Linux native version
where did you find information about that?
there's no mention of linux here:
https://ugritone.com/products/riot-drums-2

- tor-helge
Old 08-27-2021, 08:02 AM   #7
fruen

Default agree

also looking for information. No luck so far?
Old 08-27-2021, 08:40 AM   #8
audiojunkie

I emailed them, asking about this, three weeks ago. They didn't respond back to me at all. Again, I'm not feeling too confident about this company's commitment to Linux.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:36 AM   #9
Mcgiver69

Not related to this post but I installed SSD5.5 drums using Yabridge and it works great no glitches. I can even add my Groovemonkey libraries to the main groove window.
So far only 1.2% of cpu usage, I would say it's a win.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:26 AM   #10
Fergler

Quote:
Not related to this post but I installed SSD5.5 drums using Yabridge and it works great no glitches. I can even add my Groovemonkey libraries to the main groove window.
So far only 1.2% of cpu usage, I would say it's a win.

How did you get ilok working? When I tried I could never get ilok to connect to their servers and thus ssd5.5 was unuseable
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:14 PM   #11
Mcgiver69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
How did you get ilok working? When I tried I could never get ilok to connect to their servers and thus ssd5.5 was unuseable
I should had mentioned this was the free version.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:52 AM   #12
audiojunkie

Despite my misgivings, in the spirit of fairness, I must report that my email to Ugritone has received a response. Here is my email question, and their response:

My query:

Hi, I'm a Linux user. There are rumors flying all around the Linux Audio boards that Ugritone drums now provides Linux versions of their software, but haven't yet posted the news on their website. Is there any truth to this rumor? ��

Thanks!

Ugritone's response:

Hi!

You've heard right, the rumors are true We're not promoting it yet, as it's not 100% sure it's working. Test it, you will get your money back if it does not work

Have a nice day!
(Service person's name redacted)
Customer service
Ugritone

I originally wrote them on August 20th, and they didn't respond back until today (a nearly two week turnaround response time). But they DID respond, AND they confirmed the Linux rumors. It sounds like purchasers are the beta testers, and once it is considered stable and bug free enough, they'll advertise it on the web.

I hope this is useful for some of you... :-)

Last edited by audiojunkie; 09-01-2021 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:57 AM   #13
PMan

Haven't tried it myself, but:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=256393

@JamesPeters provides info and what specific products are available *now*.

"If you buy Riot 2, one of the download links will be for the Linux VST/VST3 plugins."
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:37 AM   #14
fruen

Default Good drums

I bought RIOT Drums ,KVLT Drums and RIOT Drums 2. They all have Ugritone Drums Plugin for LINUX inside. Everything works.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:24 AM   #15
cern.th.skei

Quote:
I bought RIOT Drums ,KVLT Drums and RIOT Drums 2. They all have Ugritone Drums Plugin for LINUX inside. Everything works.
i'm very interested in these..
are they stable? sounding good? easy to work with?

- tor-helge
Old 09-05-2021, 09:58 AM   #16
obx777

Default Help

Hey Gang,

So got my test machine finally to give these drums a try in Linux/Reaper and need some help.
Unbuntu Studio 64 installed - Check!
Reaper Installed via a good video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvTNdVlcsvQ - Check!
USB audio connected and working, Jack running all good there - Check!

Downloaded the Ugritone Kvlt Drums VST for Linux and uncompressed them, there are two folders one VST and one VST3

They each have the .so file in them which I think is the Linux equivalent to a VST .dll in Windows?

Tried a few times to do the Reaper VST scan of these files and Reaper is not picking them up.
Whats wrong? Note : Unless I MUST use some other part of Linux to make this work was thinking and hoping these was just gonna work.

What am I doing wrong, or need to do?

Thanks in advance!
obx777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #17
JamesPeters

In the directory of the .so file you're testing, run terminal and enter the following:

ldd filename.so

(Replace "filename.so" with the plugin's actual file name.)

Look for whatever dependency might not be installed. I had to add libcurl-gnutls for Ugritone Drums and it's also required for some other plugins. I'm guessing that's missing on your system. You can find it in Synaptic (if you don't already have Synaptic installed, that's a good idea, unless you prefer working from terminal).

PS. You can use ALSA instead of Jack, unless you want to use Jack for some specific reason.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:57 PM   #18
fruen

Default Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by cern.th.skei View Post
i'm very interested in these..
are they stable? sounding good? easy to work with?

- tor-helge
Only tested in Bitwig. Sound excellent and a lot of editing options on each drum. yezz easy to use i think.Also looking good I will test this drums in Reaper tomorrow
Old 09-05-2021, 09:31 PM   #19
obx777

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
In the directory of the .so file you're testing, run terminal and enter the following:

ldd filename.so

(Replace "filename.so" with the plugin's actual file name.)

Look for whatever dependency might not be installed. I had to add libcurl-gnutls for Ugritone Drums and it's also required for some other plugins. I'm guessing that's missing on your system. You can find it in Synaptic (if you don't already have Synaptic installed, that's a good idea, unless you prefer working from terminal).

PS. You can use ALSA instead of Jack, unless you want to use Jack for some specific reason.
Hi first, thank you for your reply. Do appreciate it.

It unfortunately did not work.ldd said "no such file or directory." I opened terminal in that directory and entered ls and can see the file right there. Ugritone Drums.so so not sure why. Also if it means anything when viewing the file description in File Manager is says its Type is a shared Library.

Anyone here know why Reaper is not picking up the VST? Is there something Ugritone can do on their end? They know I am unoffically "beta testing" here. I'm a fan, don't work for them.

My goal is to find out what we can do so an average non-linix user could say grab Ubuntu Studio, load it, and install Reaper, grab this Ugritone VST and just go! Without terminal sessions, extra libraries etc.

I've been down this road in the past and tossed in the towel, installing package after package, running things in terminal that were suggested, if I did get something to work, I never knew what it was or why, so it was not repeatable. Most of that was an old sound card. Today I'm using HX stomp USB. I plugged it in and Ubuntu jut saw it and ran with it so all good there! Upon opening Ubuntu Studio Controls it revert to this interface and cannot change and there is Just Jack no ALSA which is fine for me since it is "just plug and play working" once I started Jack, it seems to stay running when I restart the machine. No audio issues yet.

And hey I get it "if you want turn key, then use Windows or Mac, this is Linux, roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty". Just think in this day and age an "average Joe" should be able to install and go!

I'd like to get this working and not need MS or Apple.

Update:
So rescanning VSTs in Peaer it did pick it up now. Not sure why or what is going on.
Going to do a clean Ubuntu reinstall and stat over. Could ldd have done something een though it did not see the file???? Hate this weirdness, such is beta testing I guess?

Last edited by obx777; 09-05-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:54 PM   #20
JamesPeters

First: don't reinstall the distro. It's probably fine.

Yes, a .so is a "shared object", the equivalent of .dll but in Linux.

This isn't a Reaper bug. You're probably missing the dependency for that specific plugin I told you about already, libcurl-gnutls (and you could've looked in Synaptic to see if it were installed, even though you didn't get results from ldd due to the specific syntax not working). After adding a missing dependency, you may have to restart the computer too.

Dependencies are part all software. In Linux, dealing with dependency issues happens more often due to how Linux software is distributed (it's kind of different from Windows or Mac a lot of the time, relying on "common" dependencies being on the system already), and differences among distros.

There's a space in the file name of the plugin, so you have to do one of two things when using the file name in terminal with any command (not just ldd):

1) insert a backslash before the space in the file name (ldd Ugritone\ Drums.so)

2) add quotation marks around the file name (ldd "Ugritone Drums.so")

(While in the directory where the file is, of course.)

I usually do the second option since it's easier for me to remember.

I understand your frustration, but consider what Linux is. The distro you're running isn't just "Linux" really; it's a distribution *of* Linux, pieced together by whomever did so, to create what you see as the OS (and however cohesive it is in terms of the user experience). There are many distros maintained by different organizations, and most of them involve volunteers. Adding device support to the kernel is often done by volunteers. Whatever documentation you can find is also often done by volunteers. Plus Linux is always evolving. It will never be like Windows or Mac.

Even so, switching OSes alone involves time and learning. To do the most common PC tasks such as web browsing etc., that's pretty much instant. To run a DAW with low-latency hardware and/or run plugins meant for a different OS (lots of people run Windows VST using Yabridge and Wine), that's more involved. Terminal is going to be involved once in a while (probably a lot less than some people would have you believe, but something like ldd is quite specific and there's no GUI for it).

If something like this is automatically a deal breaker, my advice is to go back to Windows. Not to be rude either. You'll face more challenging things than this in Linux. I definitely did. But if you want, you can come out the other side being comfortable using Linux. Forums like this are here to help.

Let us know how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obx777 View Post
Upon opening Ubuntu Studio Controls it revert to this interface and cannot change and there is Just Jack no ALSA which is fine for me since it is "just plug and play working" once I started Jack, it seems to stay running when I restart the machine. No audio issues yet.
I don't use Ubuntu Studio (I use Manjaro) so I don't know what that is, and I don't know why you'd need to use it. I was referring to how Reaper uses ALSA (or Jack, but Jack isn't necessary for Reaper). I use Pulse Audio for everything other than Reaper, and ALSA in Reaper.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 09-05-2021 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:17 PM   #21
PMan

Several things to consider:
- The VST3 file *has* to be in it's own folder (directory) named Ugritone Drums.vst3 (or whatever the name of the plugin is). So when you unzip the download, *leave the .vst3 folder exactly as it is*.

- If the file name has a space in it: (Ugritone Drums.so) you have to put double quotes around the name when you do the ldd command, like this:
ldd "Ugritone Drums.so"

- *Where* are you putting the files you unzipped? By default, Reaper looks for plugins in these directories *in you home directory*:
VSTs .vst
VST3s .vst3 (remember: each VST3 has to be in it's own folder)
LV2s .lv2
Notice those directory names *start with a period*.

If you can't see any directories that start with a period, like .local, .config, .vst or .vst3, check the setting in your file browser and make sure "Show Hidden Files" is selected.

If you see .local and .config, but *not* the plugin directories (.vst and .vst3), you need to create those directories.

If you put your plugin files anywhere else, you have to tell Reaper where to look for them. I suggest you keep it simple and use the default locations.

Keep the above in mind, and they should "just work".

HTH
Old 09-06-2021, 05:34 AM   #22
cern.th.skei

Quote:
Only tested in Bitwig. Sound excellent and a lot of editing options on each drum. yezz easy to use i think.Also looking good I will test this drums in Reaper tomorrow
thanks!
sounds good!
i think i need this plugin.. :-D
i'm using bitwig myself, as my "main weapon", with reaper coming in as a close second.. :-)
Old 09-07-2021, 12:38 AM   #23
fruen

Default Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cern.th.skei View Post
thanks!
sounds good!
i think i need this plugin.. :-D
i'm using bitwig myself, as my "main weapon", with reaper coming in as a close second.. :-)
have fun
Old 09-10-2021, 10:00 PM   #24
obx777

Default Some Great Progress! Ubuntu Studio

Since my last post have great success. Here are my notes for anyone using Ubuntu Studio if this may help them.

Installed Ubuntu Studio fresh.

Audio:
Audio using an HX Stomp USB (or maybe other USB interfaces too?):
Plugged in USB from HX stomp, no system audio in it at first,
Opened Ubuntu Studio Controls and selected the Audio Setup tab.
For “USB Device that should be Master”, selected Stomp 0,0
“Jack Master Device (no USB)” was then automatically set to “USB Jack Master”
Had to select Start or Restart Jack and then hit “Apply Audio Settings” and then “Close” YouTube Audio test worked.

Reaper Install:
Followed Reaper install from here: https://youtu.be/zvTNdVlcsvQ’

VST Folder:
For simplicity sake create a VST folder in your home folder.
Open File Manager and Click on your home folder, the right click to create a new folder named VST.

Download the UGRITONE Drums for Linux to your VST folder and extract them.
In my test case this is the Ugritone+Drums+Plugin+LINUX.zip file.
Double Click and select Extract in the window. Then hit Extract again.
You should now have two folders named VST and VST3.

In Reaper go to Options, Preferences, Plug-ins, VST
Point to the path “/home/yourusername/VST/
Rescan VSTs, should pick up the Ugrintone VSTi and VST3i

So I did not have to do any special terminal commands or ldd to run.

Note: In Ubuntu Studio the hidden .VST and .VST3 folders Reaper suggests do not exist. Creating them did not work is why I opted to just make a VST folder for now.

The Ugritone VST was a bit "wonky" to get loaded (few lock ups) took a few tries and you have to get the Sound Sample download to and do that and had some initial hiccups with it. The auto find samples did not work out, I manual pointed to the folder. Put it in my VST folder for now. If you do the demo samples you have to go around the kit and load each single sample. I purchased the kits previously.

Its up and operational! Ubuntu, HX Stomp USB, Reaper and Ugritone drums, all Native.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:39 AM   #25
PMan

I'm glad you got it working, obx777. You figured out a way to get it done, cool!

One point for future reference:
It's not .VST and .VST3 - it's .vst and .vst3 (lower case). Linux is case sensitive. That's a big deal because if Reaper is looking for .vst, .VST doesn't count, it's not the same.

In Windows .vst and .VST are the same thing because Windows is *not* case sensitive.

It's great that you figured out a way to make it work - congrats!
(That's the Linux spirit!)
Old 09-16-2021, 10:48 AM   #26
Pinknoise

Bought the Dieswitch Drums for 25$ it rocks !
No problems on MXLiux it's nice to have a decent drum plugin in Linux finally !
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:31 PM   #27
fruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Bought the Dieswitch Drums for 25$ it rocks !
No problems on MXLiux it's nice to have a decent drum plugin in Linux finally !
Same here. Brilliant drums
Old 09-17-2021, 08:12 AM   #28
audiojunkie

This is good to hear! What is the general consensus on the package that is most versatile--in other words, if you had to pick a drum package for genres other than metal, what would be the best? For example, indie, shoegaze, trip hop, post-rock, dream pop, etc?
Old 09-17-2021, 07:40 PM   #29
obx777

Default Its all good now!!

So Glad this is working out! Reaper in Ubuntu Studio is snappier than it was on my M1 (intel mode).

I am totally stoked here!

I found that ToneLib GFX and I like it better than my HX Stomp. So both my guitar and drum needs are now under the hood Native Linux!!

This Dell i5 is now performing better than the Mac Mini M1 (for me, YMMV). I know should not be happening, but it is. I am sure native ARM and video I'd see huge gains, but I don't do video intense stuff.

Was so happy how things were running in my Linux test platform (Dell 3060 micro) decided to upgrade that little Dell. I just got a internal SSD PCIe update from 128 to 256, 8GB to 16GB RAM, and added a 2.5 1TB HD (its a WD Black 7200). I know "NO SSD GASP!". Well I was opening and saving sessions on an old school drive connected via USB 2.0 with no issue, so I am sure this internal HD will be just fine.

I could have been bolder and made the SSD PCIe stick 1TB, but I decided that the machine was performing so well with what it had (Reaper open,Ugritone drums, two instances of ToneLib GFX, Master Bus filled with a chain of Stock Reaper FX and had between 9-17% CPU with 64 ms latency at 48/24) so I followed the max upgrades Dell had outlined in the manual to make sure I do not have heat of power draw issues. I could have went 32GB mem but more $$$

For years I followed you guys here peaking in to see where Linux Reaper was at. Yep its here, ready for prime time and the water is fine! I'm all in! Back to making music.

Peace!!
Old 09-17-2021, 07:53 PM   #30
Glennbo

Quote:
For years I followed you guys here peaking in to see where Linux Reaper was at. Yep its here, ready for prime time and the water is fine! I'm all in! Back to making music.
Native Linux REAPER werks!

It's performance in Linux is as good as I ever got in Windows.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:08 AM   #31
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
This is good to hear! What is the general consensus on the package that is most versatile--in other words, if you had to pick a drum package for genres other than metal, what would be the best? For example, indie, shoegaze, trip hop, post-rock, dream pop, etc?
the free ProteusVX rompler plugin has a large collection of kits, that make a nice supplement to dedicated drum plugins. Drumcore 4 Lite is oft overlooked,

https://www.sonomawireworks.com/drumcore/lite/ $50

"DrumCore 4 Lite contains 4 GB of content, including 24 GrooveSets (1,400 audio loops/fills and 800 MIDI loops/fills) based on live performances by 13 celebrity drummers. The MIDI files can be used to trigger the included 11 multi-velocity sampled drum kits."

not-$o-lite versions are also available.
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:19 AM   #32
fruen

Default ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
the free ProteusVX rompler plugin has a large collection of kits, that make a nice supplement to dedicated drum plugins. Drumcore 4 Lite is oft overlooked,

https://www.sonomawireworks.com/drumcore/lite/ $50

"DrumCore 4 Lite contains 4 GB of content, including 24 GrooveSets (1,400 audio loops/fills and 800 MIDI loops/fills) based on live performances by 13 celebrity drummers. The MIDI files can be used to trigger the included 11 multi-velocity sampled drum kits."

not-$o-lite versions are also available.
Only windows and Mac?
Old 09-24-2021, 05:07 AM   #33
Pinknoise

Quote:
So Glad this is working out! Reaper in Ubuntu Studio is snappier than it was on my M1 (intel mode).

I am totally stoked here!

I found that ToneLib GFX and I like it better than my HX Stomp. So both my guitar and drum needs are now under the hood Native Linux!!

This Dell i5 is now performing better than the Mac Mini M1 (for me, YMMV). I know should not be happening, but it is. I am sure native ARM and video I'd see huge gains, but I don't do video intense stuff.

Was so happy how things were running in my Linux test platform (Dell 3060 micro) decided to upgrade that little Dell. I just got a internal SSD PCIe update from 128 to 256, 8GB to 16GB RAM, and added a 2.5 1TB HD (its a WD Black 7200). I know "NO SSD GASP!". Well I was opening and saving sessions on an old school drive connected via USB 2.0 with no issue, so I am sure this internal HD will be just fine.

I could have been bolder and made the SSD PCIe stick 1TB, but I decided that the machine was performing so well with what it had (Reaper open,Ugritone drums, two instances of ToneLib GFX, Master Bus filled with a chain of Stock Reaper FX and had between 9-17% CPU with 64 ms latency at 48/24) so I followed the max upgrades Dell had outlined in the manual to make sure I do not have heat of power draw issues. I could have went 32GB mem but more $$$

Peace!!
Did you buy the new version of Tonelib or is it the old one ? The old(free) one crahes on me whenever I change preset or resize the window.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:22 PM   #34
obx777

Hello,

I got the latest copy off of their website here:

https://tonelib.net/

It says a 30 day trial, working very well here. Using Ubuntu Studio and Reaper, both the stand alone and plug in are working great!

Old 09-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #35
obx777

FYI in case it help anyone who may have read down this far LOL!!

I have learned some things that folks who wade into the Linux/Reaper/Ugritone waters may need to to know.

1. Ugritone recently released a new software "engine". Thier KVLT II drums is like you'd think of EZ Drummer 2

2. You need to download and install that. If your systems does not have the hidden .vst and .vst3 folders in your home directory that Reaper is looking for, just create them. (They are hidden, you need to make sure you select view hidden folders) the "." makes it hidden. (Hey not everyone knows this, no teasing!)

3. As another user here pointed out when you unpack the VST make sure you copy the entire folder structure to your .VST3 folder. If you just copy the .so file to your .vst folder, Reaper will not pick it up. (Big thanks for that tip!!) Copy the entire folder structure in.

4. You need to also install the Ugritone sound library.

5. If you collect other kits from Ugritone you need to the sound library files for those as well. And need to load them in the VST. (The DieSwtich kit had a duplicate name as the KVLT II kit, I let them know this, double check your Sound library names, rename if you have to.

6. Know where you put you Sound Libraries and use the Manual load the folder, in the VST. I had issues with the Auto Loading Option, think it was confused in Linux??

7. I notices the plugin was a bit "buggy" upon first load, but it quickly cleared up (not sure why) and it is working amazingly well!!

I hope to put together a video. Depending on your host Linux (I'm using Unbutu Studio for ease and the low latency kernel) YMMV.

Old 09-25-2021, 07:08 AM   #36
audiojunkie

This is a very helpful and useful post! Thank you!
Old 10-01-2021, 03:48 AM   #37
Pinknoise

Anybody figured out how to use the oneshot samples folder that comes with Dieswitch ?

It's a proprietary format so I figure you have to load these into the software but I only have 1 kick option available.

Also when I load the plugin I see another kit appearing for 2 seconds before it loads Dieswitch interface, is there another kit in there ?
Old 10-01-2021, 10:01 AM   #38
JamesPeters

For each kit piece there are selections for different instruments. Each of these will have round robins and varying velocity level samples. I'll call this the "main kit piece samples".

For the shell-type kit pieces there's also the ability to load one-shot samples blended with the particular instrument (this feature doesn't apply to cymbals). One-shots (a single sample, no different velocity layers or round robins) will sound less realistic on their own, but when blended with the "main kit piece samples" it can help shape the sound without sounding too fake (if you don't blend it in too much). You have the option to blend the one-shot sample 100% and the "main kit piece samples" to 0% by adjusting their individual channel knobs/faders (in each tab) if you want, but I don't recommend that.

The "main kit piece samples" are selectable from the top of the "mix" tab.

The one-shot samples are selectable from the "fx" tab, below the various fx (EQ, pitch, comp, etc.)

If you've installed the samples in the correct folders, and/or told the Ugritone Drums plugin where to find the samples, you should be able to select whatever "main kit piece samples" that exist for the kit as well as any included one-shot samples.

You can also use your own one-shot samples. I think only WAV files will work for this. While in the fx tab, instead of choosing from the drop-down list, choose the "browse" button.

Each kit will have a variety of "main kit piece samples" instruments, some more than others. You'll find 2 kicks in RIOT 1 for instance, but only 1 kick in KVLT 1. (This isn't including one-shot samples, just the "main kit piece samples".) Dieswitch Drums only has one "main kit piece" kick. This is mentioned on the details pages on the Ugritone site. Where it says "the kit", those are the "main kit piece samples" (not the one-shots). Some kits have multiple snares while others only have 1 or 2, and so on.

You'll find their included presets use one-shots liberally. I turn them all off at first, and usually only mix in a one-shot a little bit on a kit piece if I want to augment its sound.

Ugritone Drums is the plugin you're using. It's a replacement for (and upgrade of) KVLT 2's plugin, which worked for "KVLT 2 kits" that you could buy separately (after purchasing the KVLT 2 kit/plugin combo). Ugritone Drums works with all the newly-released kits, and is included with each newly-released (or re-released) kit.

Northern Artillery Drums is the exception, and might cause some confusion. It is one of the previous "one-off" plugins which was specific to its included kit, and it doesn't work in Linux (a Linux version wasn't released for it). The other one-off plugins and "KVLT 2 kits" have been removed from the site, but Northern Artillery Drums is still on the site. So beware if you buy that, you'd have to use its plugin in Wine/Yabridge. Whether it will be released as an Ugritone Drums kit or not is unclear. It has more kit pieces and more articulations than most of their other kits (with a somewhat different/expanded MIDI mapping), so they might have to "crop" the kit to function as an Ugritone Drums kit.

Previous KVLT 2 kits which are no longer listed on the site are being re-released as Ugritone Drums kits (they're supposed to be re-added to the site at the end of the month).

Since the Ugritone Drums plugin works with various kits (and allows you to swap "main kit piece samples" from kit to kit), its interface can change to reflect which kit is loaded. Previous one-off plugins they made had different-looking interfaces with different graphics. In Ugritone Drums, the look of the kit can change if there's a custom graphic in the kit's folder (plus you can always choose the default "less-outrageous-looking" kit GUI from the settings menu). As a kit preset is loading, the look of the plugin can change.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:29 AM   #39
JamesPeters

Quote:
Thier KVLT II drums is like you'd think of EZ Drummer 2
There currently is nothing like EZdrummer 2 (or Superior Drummer 3) for Linux. If you want all the features of those, you'll want to use those (with Wine/Yabridge). In particular, their MIDI creation/searching/editing functions don't exist in Ugritone Drums or anything else I'm aware of.

I'm happy with Ugritone Drums. The MIDI features of the Toontrack products don't interest me as much as I thought they would, and Reaper has enough MIDI functionality to help me with pattern creation/management.

Something about Ugritone Drums that I forgot to mention (there were more bugs, but they have been fixed):

If you plan to save a kit preset, use its own settings menu and not Reaper's FX browser. If you save a preset in Reaper's FX browser, it won't contain enough information (or be interpreted correctly by the plugin on loading it) such that the kit might have certain aspects wrong (one-shot samples may not be loaded, or they may be loaded when they shouldn't be, for instance). Saving a preset from the Ugritone Drums settings menu is easy enough. The file however doesn't have an extension by default, and if you don't add the extension, the plugin won't be able to load the preset you save. They're supposed to be .xml files. So add that extension to the name of the file you're saving. If you save the preset in the folder you specified for your user presets, the next time you start Ugritone Drums, the preset that you saved will appear in the handy drop-down list at the bottom of the plugin.

Whatever changes I make to the settings of the plugin seem to be saved in the Reaper project, and I think saving Ugritone Drums as part of an fx chain or track template works correctly. For some reason it doesn't work correctly recalling settings from the fx browser menu though. I reported this to Ugritone (it was the same for the old KVLT 2 plugin even in Windows, so this isn't a Linux-related bug), but they didn't respond.

Also yes, the "auto search" for samples/presets (when you launch the plugin for the first time) fails. I just cancel that and browse to the directories instead. It could be a Linux-specific bug, since I haven't installed Ugritone Drums in Windows or OSX.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-01-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:56 AM   #40
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
For each kit piece there are selections for different instruments. Each of these will have round robins and varying velocity level samples. I'll call this the "main kit piece samples".

For the shell-type kit pieces there's also the ability to load one-shot samples blended with the particular instrument (this feature doesn't apply to cymbals). One-shots (a single sample, no different velocity layers or round robins) will sound less realistic on their own, but when blended with the "main kit piece samples" it can help shape the sound without sounding too fake (if you don't blend it in too much). You have the option to blend the one-shot sample 100% and the "main kit piece samples" to 0% by adjusting their individual channel knobs/faders (in each tab) if you want, but I don't recommend that.

The "main kit piece samples" are selectable from the top of the "mix" tab.

The one-shot samples are selectable from the "fx" tab, below the various fx (EQ, pitch, comp, etc.)

If you've installed the samples in the correct folders, and/or told the Ugritone Drums plugin where to find the samples, you should be able to select whatever "main kit piece samples" that exist for the kit as well as any included one-shot samples.

You can also use your own one-shot samples. I think only WAV files will work for this. While in the fx tab, instead of choosing from the drop-down list, choose the "browse" button.

Each kit will have a variety of "main kit piece samples" instruments, some more than others. You'll find 2 kicks in RIOT 1 for instance, but only 1 kick in KVLT 1. (This isn't including one-shot samples, just the "main kit piece samples".) Dieswitch Drums only has one "main kit piece" kick. This is mentioned on the details pages on the Ugritone site. Where it says "the kit", those are the "main kit piece samples" (not the one-shots). Some kits have multiple snares while others only have 1 or 2, and so on.

You'll find their included presets use one-shots liberally. I turn them all off at first, and usually only mix in a one-shot a little bit on a kit piece if I want to augment its sound.

Ugritone Drums is the plugin you're using. It's a replacement for (and upgrade of) KVLT 2's plugin, which worked for "KVLT 2 kits" that you could buy separately (after purchasing the KVLT 2 kit/plugin combo). Ugritone Drums works with all the newly-released kits, and is included with each newly-released (or re-released) kit.

Northern Artillery Drums is the exception, and might cause some confusion. It is one of the previous "one-off" plugins which was specific to its included kit, and it doesn't work in Linux (a Linux version wasn't released for it). The other one-off plugins and "KVLT 2 kits" have been removed from the site, but Northern Artillery Drums is still on the site. So beware if you buy that, you'd have to use its plugin in Wine/Yabridge. Whether it will be released as an Ugritone Drums kit or not is unclear. It has more kit pieces and more articulations than most of their other kits (with a somewhat different/expanded MIDI mapping), so they might have to "crop" the kit to function as an Ugritone Drums kit.

Previous KVLT 2 kits which are no longer listed on the site are being re-released as Ugritone Drums kits (they're supposed to be re-added to the site at the end of the month).

Since the Ugritone Drums plugin works with various kits (and allows you to swap "main kit piece samples" from kit to kit), its interface can change to reflect which kit is loaded. Previous one-off plugins they made had different-looking interfaces with different graphics. In Ugritone Drums, the look of the kit can change if there's a custom graphic in the kit's folder (plus you can always choose the default "less-outrageous-looking" kit GUI from the settings menu). As a kit preset is loading, the look of the plugin can change.
Thank you for the detailed answer that helps a lot. One shot working now.