Old 03-23-2021, 07:27 AM   #1
radaget
Human being with feelings

Default Sony 3D Audio Reality

Hi

Does anyone know much about Sony 3D audio. It's specifically used for music which is a positive in my mind.

I wondered how it stacked up against Auro 3D and what the requirements are in terms of hardware / software to be able to mix with it.

Does Reaper support it? Apparently there's a software application that can be used within DAWs.

If someone can point me towards some more in-depth information to upskill me that would be appreciated.

Thanks
radaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:58 PM   #2
jm duchenne

Sony Reality Audio is for binaural delivery, so there is no real comparison with Auro 3D...
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
radaget

Hi jm duchenne. Thanks for the reply.

I'm at risk of sounding like a complete beginner here so apologies if I miss the point completely.

Reading what I have about it, I was under the impression it could be used either by headphones, a single speaker with multiple drivers or a multichannel / speaker set up as in the studio.

This is something I saw in WhatHiFi:
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/sony...u-need-to-know

it mentions that..

The format has been built using the open MPEG-H 3D Audio standard, which itself has been optimised for music streaming. It supports up to 64 speaker channels and allows audio coding to be done in different ways.

Is this still classed as ambisonics?

Thanks,
Tim
radaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
plush2

Ambisonics can be used in creating mpeg-h content but the container is not specifically ambisonic. I read that linked article and looked at the Sony Reality Audio site. The creative suite looks interesting and the new(ish) ability to photograph a users ear and customize the binaural filter is a great idea if it works well.

The frustrating part is we build these lush spatial sound fields and want them appreciated by a wider audience. A company like Sony uses an existing delivery format (mpeg-h) and existing technology (binaural) but repackages it as some big 3D breakthrough. A head-locked binaural representation of an mpeg-h stream is not ground breaking. If they build head position tracking into their headphones and linked that up then I would get excited. I want a consumer platform that actually showcases these sound designs in 3 dimensions. For now YouTube and Facebook are (sadly) the only ones doing this.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:13 AM   #5
cyrano

Apple?
Old 03-27-2021, 09:40 AM   #6
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Apple?
I've heard rumors. I don't currently own any IOS devices so I don't know what's possible inside the walled garden. Assuming that was a leading question, can you elaborate?
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:27 AM   #7
cyrano

Well, there's the new Airpod range. It should have AR built-in. I know Apple's AR is more about sight than about hearing, but they seem to have all the sensors for head-tracking.

I suppose the software isn't there yet, as Apple seems to walk another path.

I don't own any of these new headphones and they're a bit too expensive to buy one just to fiddle around with.

All the other AR headphones I've come across seem to be destined to gaming, not sound. And they all seem to vanish quite quickly, as they also are expensive. At least the Apple ones are selling...
Old 04-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
Cotally

I'm starting a new thread about Apple Spatial Audio as I am hopeful that it may bring immersive audio content to a wider audience eventually as it is headtracked.
Cotally is offline   Reply With Quote