Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #41
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

Will you stfu now?

500+ tracks of audio. Easy. Pure MIDI data? I mean, PURE MIDI data? It's even less, since that MIDI can be sent to external hardware, y'know.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #42
Bri1
Banned

lolz@ the ever so evil-dragon.
is all playing 2000+ tracks of mixed audio/midi-- a real project..? nope.
+your insults are well worthy of a ban-but your still here-?-daily..
and still has time to make 500+ trackings-regular..what a nonce_sense,see.
hows the actual 64bitsumming calculate with 2000+tracks of realtime audio workout?
clowns are fun!
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #43
EvilDragon

Yeah, of course you wouldn't concede that YOU WERE WRONG. Why would you, you're the smartass around here.

Who are YOU to judge what a project is and isn't based on track count alone? Nobody, that's who.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:58 PM   #44
JHughes
Banned

du U b 4 real? Luv 4eva. lol

I'm honored that the guy who wrote album titles 4 Prince has joined the forumz.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #45
EvilDragon

You're just enabling him now
Old 06-26-2019, 01:05 PM   #46
Robert Randolph

I have 2 projects here which are >2k tracks and it's strange to be told by some random dude that they don't exist or shouldn't exist or can't exist or... whatever he's trying to faceroll through his keyboard.

My computer can play them back just fine.

I honestly have no clue how I'd have finished those projects with fewer tracks (or in ANY other DAW).

The projects had <30 VI's. Mostly audio.

(Can we just have a monthly shadow ban of the most ignored user on the forum or something? Or if someone gets ignored more than X times, they are shadow-banned.

There's so many interesting threads that get ruined by the same handful of users. )
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:10 PM   #47
karbomusic

I warned you guys in post #27 The noise reduces if you just don't click the proverbial "view post anyway" and don't reply and I'm sure you know when/why that option appears.

Not joking there, many of these threads are useful to so many users, if we keep feeding, we are partially responsible for that useless noise (unless the correction in the reply benefits all the other readers). Not that I'm not also guilty of it but it does reduce the noise to abstain from the temptation.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:12 PM   #48
EvilDragon

Ignore function doesn't remove quotes. And even if you DIY it with adblock, you get a swiss cheese of a thread afterwards. That ain't right, man.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #49
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Ignore function doesn't remove quotes. And even if you DIY it with adblock, you get a swiss cheese of a thread afterwards. That ain't right, man.
I know it ain't right but the point is if you never reply, the number of bullshit replies of replies goes down, way down. Once you determine someone is incapable or uninterested in reason or actually helping others, and only interested in the volley, stop replying to them because the reply or rather attention is the only thing they want.

You can always report the stupid replies but there are no forum rules against stupidity.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:35 PM   #50
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post

There's so many interesting threads that get ruined by the same handful of users. )
Yes, indeed. So useless...
Old 06-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #51
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I warned you guys in post #27 The noise reduces if you just don't click the proverbial "view post anyway" and don't reply and I'm sure you know when/why that option appears.

Not joking there, many of these threads are useful to so many users, if we keep feeding, we are partially responsible for that useless noise (unless the correction in the reply benefits all the other readers). Not that I'm not also guilty of it but it does reduce the noise to abstain from the temptation.
I have the user in question blocked via adblock. I block his posts, I block his quotes.

It ends up turning the thread into spaghetti and I have to unblock things to actually find the thread of discussion.

No matter which way you try, the thread is ruined.

I've actually just stopped contributing here as much because it's so annoying. I only checked New today because I had a bug to report.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #52
tls11823

Quote:
I have 2 projects here which are >2k tracks and it's strange to be told by some random dude that they don't exist or shouldn't exist or can't exist or... whatever he's trying to faceroll through his keyboard.

Nope, you're wrong. Bri1 has said that it's impossible and that nobody in the world could conceivably need that many.

At least that's what I think he said. It's hard to tell sometimes what he's on about.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #53
karbomusic

Quote:

No matter which way you try, the thread is ruined.
Fair enough but it's still less noise to deal with if we don't feed the problem by replying to them, that's all I'm saying. I wasn't kidding when I said I've tested this. I specifically burned a few dozen replies attempting reason. The result was the incomprehensible replies just kept coming and coming with no end in sight. The next time in a different thread, there was just the one, because I didn't reply; that is something we need to do at minimum for the health of said thread(s). I don't always succeed though as it is tempting.

Last edited by karbomusic; 06-26-2019 at 02:54 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:39 PM   #54
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I have 2 projects here which are >2k tracks

I honestly have no clue how I'd have finished those projects with fewer tracks (or in ANY other DAW).

lol-any evidence of that? mr.random dude- all are random dudez+dudetez here eh.
none are superior,none inferior-least yee forget.
nothing is ruined-that's all in the simpleton's imagination..have fun..laugh sometimes..
keep looking for bans-all am asking for is proof of such things: real trackings-real reasons for it...is that too much to ask..?
guyz literally have to try multi gangbang bully tactics--v 1? lol-go ahead:keep trying!! eternal has no fear.

++question everything!! what you find,may surprise you!
answer to topic=no.never have+never will=because it's stupid a.f. =lol
playtime is over.
+totally believe all is possible-but am dealing with those that think the opposite..fine.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #55
Timothy Lawler

Interesting.

Tack, where can I listen to your music?
Old 06-26-2019, 05:56 PM   #56
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
Tack, where can I listen to your music?
You mean my graveyard of discarded, embarrassing musical ideas? That doesn't see the light of day.

Some of my other musical activities are on my YouTube channel. Mostly I'm a talentless hack who spends more time coding than music-making.
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #57
Dex

Tack, I don’t think it’s a good idea to commit to a specific track limit that will be difficult to change later, unless you have a really really good reason for doing it. Even if nobody is running more than 2000 tracks right now, who’s to say that won’t change as hardware improves? What seems on the edge of reasonable right now could be common 10 years from now, and I expect rearticulate to still be important and widely used at that time. You don’t want to have to rebuild the thing from the ground up just to keep it modern.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #58
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Tack, I don’t think it’s a good idea to commit to a specific track limit that will be difficult to change later, unless you have a really really good reason for doing it.
I have, I think, I really good reason.

Reaticulate moves data back and forth between the main script and the JSFX. The JSFX is used to store track-specific data used by the main script, such as which banks are assigned to the track. Today this data is stored by means of encoding it into several sliders on the JSFX. On the flip side, the JSFX communicates current state back to the main script, such as which channels have active notes, via a separate set of sliders.

I have a number of ideas for future functionality, but basically I'm hamstrung by the amount of data I'm able to encode in the sliders.

The gmem buffer presents a great opportunity here. Now that, as of Reaper 5.97, Lua scripts can attach to a gmem namespace, this opens the door for considerable potential to share much more data between the JSFX and the main script. Now the main script can store larger amounts of track data, and the JSFX can communicate new types of information back to the main script (for example CC values to enable this feature).

As of the current version of reaper, named gmem buffers get 8M slots. I am allocating about 3000 slots per Reaticulate JSFX instance, which means that there is enough space for a bit over 2500 instances.

By having each Reaticulate JSFX instance manage its own space within the gmem buffer, the main script can avoid the need for any coordination/signalling to the JSFX by means of setting track parameters (sliders). This is useful because that pollutes the undo history in ways that, when an undo is performed, leaves the JSFX in a funky state (see this thread for more details).

So in practice this would mean a limitation of about 2500 Reaticulate JSFX instances. Not all tracks are going to need Reaticulate on them, so there's some additional wiggle room there.

Worst case, I'm not backed into a corner. I can resort to signaling the JSFX to evict its position in the gmem buffer if need be (at the cost of polluting undo history). I just wanted to know how much of an issue this limitation would be in the real world today. It's apparently not really much of one.

That said, in 10 years, I imagine the 8M slot limit being bumped up anyway. Or, perhaps there will be some other more official means of storing per-track data in projects that will allow me to shrink the amount of data needed per JSFX in the gmem buffer. Lots of things can happen even in a couple years.

Last edited by tack; 06-26-2019 at 07:49 PM.
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #59
future fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post
As part of some design work I'm doing for the next version of Reaticulate, I'd like to know if anyone here has ever had any projects that, across all tabs, exceed a track count of 2000.

If you have, how many tracks was it?

And of those tracks, how many had virtual instruments loaded?

Estimates quite fine.

Thanks!
Makes me think of that scene in The Aviator when Hughes is asking the producers for more cameras when he already has like 24 cameras
Old 06-27-2019, 07:52 AM   #60
Reason

This has been an interesting thread. I think I might have topped out at 30 tracks on one of my projects, so I like to see both that others do get track counts this high, and that this is a consideration for people who are contributing to the reaper community. Tack, I'm not sure I'll need your script, but I appreciate that you are working on it and that you take as many diverse use cases into account as possible.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:44 AM   #61
Dex

Quote:
That said, in 10 years, I imagine the 8M slot limit being bumped up anyway. Or, perhaps there will be some other more official means of storing per-track data in projects that will allow me to shrink the amount of data needed per JSFX in the gmem buffer. Lots of things can happen even in a couple years.
Sounds reasonable enough to me, as long as whenever it goes up you’ll be able to increase the instance limit without altering much code.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:23 AM   #62
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
This has been an interesting thread..

heh-yes,has'nt it been..very.....revealing.
0+0=0!
only here for the entertainment purposes.!
people may still be farcical in future space-hoping not..
Old 06-28-2019, 03:58 AM   #63
andyp24

Hi

EvilDragon etc, when you mention blocking a forum user, can you please tell me how you do that and what it achieves - does it literally hide a user's posts from appearing?

Honestly Bri1, nearly 2500 posts and I have yet to see ONE which actually contributed something positive. Why do you waste everyone's time doing this?

Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:39 AM   #64
JamesPeters

Find the "User CP" link in the menu bar at the top of a forum page (on the left). Once there, check the links on the left. Under "Settings & Options", there's "Edit Ignore List". Once there, you need to copy the user's name and paste it in the field "Add a Member to Your List..." and hit "Okay".

The member's posts won't appear. You'll see a place where they would've posted and a notice that the person is on your ignore list. You will also unfortunately see what they've posted if someone quotes it.

It's not a pretty solution, but it's handy sometimes.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:49 AM   #65
andyp24

Excellent, thanks :-)
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #66
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:

Thank you! I have to admit, it has been a while since I gave my last "don't feed, don't react, at any rate don't reply directly, and for heaven's sake don't quote!"-speech, so I appreciate that! It's so goddamn obvious that it always feels weird to write these sermons, as if I had to explain where people may find their hands or feet. Still it feels like it was only last week that I wasted time this way.

Whatever the issue might be, postings that could be considered "trolling", "stupid", "not my opinion", "ridiculously wrong" or something inbetween do come up as an inevitable fact of life (not only) in a forum. If nobody would swallow the bait, the harm would range from "none" to "minimal" and the problem would solve itself in most cases. I mean what difference does it make if there's a post here and there that you deem "stupid" or if there are recurring stupid ad posts (as seen in some forums) like...

"For the latest offers on stupid and a 33% discount on obnoxious click here"

The harm, the annoyance, the derailing, impending implosion and destruction of the thread is always made inevitable by the reactions, posts that will annoy you are a constant, a natural force, the only variable that can change the outcome is YOU!

That's also why some forums punish the reaction (aka "feeding the troll") just as much as trolling/insulting itself, it's simply a common rule of netiquette to get a hold of yourself in face of someone who doesn't. Why? Because it doesn't matter who started it and why, if you don't get a grip on your urges and waste your time on a reaction, an avalance of wasted resources may likely follow, people will have wasted time and effort on contributing to the thread topic if their posts drown in bickering, moderators will waste their time on moderating, bandwidth and storage space will be wasted to host the mess and only one person may be happy about it at the end - the person you couldn't resist to set straight. It's an act of politeness and respect for your host and fellow guests to not ruin the party by engaging in a fight with the sloshed guy, no matter how hard he tries to provoke you.

Quote:
I know it ain't right but the point is if you never reply, the number of bullshit replies of replies goes down, way down. Once you determine someone is incapable or uninterested in reason or actually helping others, and only interested in the volley, stop replying to them because the reply or rather attention is the only thing they want.

You can always report the stupid replies but there are no forum rules against stupidity.
Exactly. Thank you again! There are very few written rules in this forum, simply because there was little need to do so back then, and everyone thought that this should all be very self-evident anyway. Of course there is no rule against stupidity (otherwise I'd have to ban myself to begin with) but there's a big, usually unwritten rule in all forums of this world:

"Do not annoy the horrible nazi moderator/admin!" (Unless you want to be kicked out that is!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
heh-yes,has'nt it been..very.....revealing.
0+0=0!
only here for the entertainment purposes.!
Well, that may be more revealing than you were hoping for - if that's entertaining for you and apparently the opposite for everyone else, that's pretty much the core definition of "trolling". You have been banned for 4 weeks and not permanently because I had the impression that you don't even know when you cross that line, after all you have posted helpful things, albeit hard to read at times. After the ban you PMed me "what,iyo,justified a ban of 1 month?". The answer is that other posts of yours kept on being poured on my desk because people felt insulted and annoyed by them, and that kept me from doing more important things and things I like. Now you're back and I've spend yet another whole afternoon reading up on what happened, typing stupid sermons, dealing with stuff I like the least and that's where that universal rule from above starts playing a role.

Anyway...

When discussing things in a work team or with friends in a pub in real life, people usually have little difficulties to filter out whatever interjections may come from the village idiot or the useless new guy in the team. After a while they don't even hear them out anymore and try to stay focused on whatever is of interest at that point, despite the acoustic disturbance making that pretty hard. People often just learn to accept the noise, let the idiot be the idiot and don't ask the innkeeper to kick the poor guy out, because, you know, he is heavily burdened by himself and all.

Maybe it's the non-realtime nature of forums that makes it so hard for some people to not react on things they deem stupid, in a realtime discussion you often don't have the time for that if you want to follow the discussion. I personally find it much harder to ignore people in real life though, for me "not listening" is much harder than "not reading", while I can't lose my face online and why would I react on something ridiculous uttered by someone I don't even know and try to educate that person anyway?

But sometimes it's not exactly a matter of "hard to resist", it's just a lack of will to resist, an easy opportunity to vent aggression. Again, fellow community members, there is always some guy who wants to plant a bomb, and the mud he hopes to see flying into everyone else's face, that is you. If you value this community and the knowledge you can gain from it, try not to turn farts into shock waves and let people be stupid every now and then if need be, because in many cases they don't even have a choice and sometimes it's even funny (I think this thread started that way).

If someone is insulting/provoking you or anyone else, obviously tries to stir up shit etc. please report the post, ignore the poster and wait. That's all, thank you for reading.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:51 AM   #67
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
If someone is insulting/provoking you or anyone else, obviously tries to stir up shit etc. please report the post, ignore the poster and wait. That's all, thank you for reading.

lol-ok-nice try---
am reporting you right now for being insulting if any of that post refers to this character.- report yourself m8...along with the gang of snitches/grasses--
as for ignoring--well,this leads to a darkerside,along with the other nonsenses.
group mentality..which i want 0 part of : sigh.why?
thankyou for reading.
glhf!
Old 06-29-2019, 06:02 AM   #68
ChristopherT

The ignore list is just blissful
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:48 AM   #69
Klangfarben

Man, I am LOVING this ignore list. So good
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #70
_Stevie_

Yes, indeed, ignorance is bliss. I wonder why the ignore list is hidden so well.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:16 AM   #71
Reason

Ollie, thanks for taking the time to post. I've been aware of the concept of not feeding the troll for some time but you articulated it really well, and demonstrated some compassion in the process. I'll remember this the next time I feel the need to argue with someone who is "wrong on the internet."
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:32 AM   #72
blumpy

Default Large Template

I've wanted the ability to build a large template session around that size for sometime now. Unfortunately it's just not workable for me. The only way to keep the gui fast enough is to show and hide tracks as needed but the overhead for blank tracks, let alone idle vsti, is still too high.

In my experience, or at least for me, 500 tracks is around the limit.... the gui slows too much and becomes clumsy for me.

Last edited by blumpy; 06-29-2019 at 09:40 AM.
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:03 PM   #73
foxAsteria

Lol. And the self-fulfilling prophecy fulfills itself yet again. "I'm not trolling but..." is the new "I'm not racist, but..."

Sorry, as to the OP, no, 2000 tracks is certainly excessive, and I daresay unnecessary. All of those channels do eat up resources too.

Lately I've noticed many of my old projects behave poorly because the tracks somehow ended up with more channels than they needed. Setting them all back to 2 channels cleared up the performance issues.

But if your machine can handle all those tracks and you have the time to deal with them, more power to you.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #74
peter5992

Quote:
As part of some design work I'm doing for the next version of Reaticulate, I'd like to know if anyone here has ever had any projects that, across all tabs, exceed a track count of 2000.

If you have, how many tracks was it?

And of those tracks, how many had virtual instruments loaded?

Estimates quite fine.

Thanks!
Not me, my orchestral template is currently 329 tracks, most all midi and reverb buses / empty folder and subfolder buses which I use to keep everything organized. I keep adding / changing tracks on a ongoing basis.

It's not the amount of tracks that is the limitation --- Reaper has no limits --- it's the amount of power hungry VSTs that imposes the limit on my ageing DAW computer with only 24 GB of RAM, so by default all instruments except the Boesendorfer piano by East West are offline. If I want to use something, I bring the VST online.

I could condense tracks by using multiple midi channels routed to one track with the instrument, but I like to have a clear overview of everything. It's easier if you have to prep music parts too, at least I think so. Just expert all midi after quantizing and then, if you have your tracks clearly labeled, it's easy to get it to something that is useful for orchestral musicians.

ED is right, Junkie XL has a humongous template with thousands and thousands of tracks. He uses VE Pro to host all his VSTs, and Cubase. He spent a lot of time building it out. If you google you can probably find pictures. His Youtube channel is great, by the way, he's a very generous guy who likes to share information.

And then in film post it's not unusual especially for large Hollywood blockbuster movies to have thousands of tracks .... if you have ever been to Skywalker Sound, they have a massive mixing stage with three huge mixing stations for dialogue, sounds effects, and music respectively, big enough for at least three mixers to work simultaneously. It's the size of a regular movie theater which is important to get the acoustic propensities of the 'real world', i.e. a real movie theater. Mixing on near field monitors and mixing there are two different things (though the technology and the principles are the same). "How can you mix 3,000 tracks?!?" well a lot of tracks are combined and controlled through VCA tracks. And obviously it's all Pro Tools, although the bits and pieces that are delivered by everyone working on sound and music can come from all over the place, including Reaper. Orchestral recordings are almost always done in PT, and they can be huge! Aside from the decca tree there are individual mikes for all groups (ww, brass, percussion, strings), individual sections (1st / 2nd violins, violas, celli, bass), near mikes, overhead, etc. That's a whole art and science in itself. Everything is recorded in PT for later editing / mixing, often multiple takes.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote