Old 10-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Alt modifier key and Xfce

Is <Alt><Drag> on the tail of an audio clip supposed to function like it does in Windows? Stretching or squeezing the clip but retaining pitch?

I tried this the other day, and while I did get the hand pointer while holding Alt, attempting to drag the end of a clip resulted in grabbing the whole maximized REAPER window and dragging it part way onto my second monitor.

I just tried again on v5.96 that I just installed and still get the same results.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Try ALT+CTRL and drag. I don't know if that is different from Windows since it's not a function I did, but I just tested and found what you did.
That does work, thanks! In Windows Alt-Drag does it, so maybe it's just some difference in the Linux keyboard handling. I don't use that feature very often, but my last project I rushed the bass line in one spot, and I ended up just re-recorded that one small phrase, where just relaxing it a bit with Alt-Drag (now Ctrl-Alt-Drag) would have been my normal way to fix it.

Quote:
I also noticed I can't eliminate a plugin from the MCP by ALT and left click, and I used to do that often. ALT+CTRL and left click however does remove the plugin. So I think this is something to do with Linux having priority for using the ALT key (something like that, not sure why yet).
I had noticed that one too. I'm going to have to remember to try other key modifiers when keystrokes I used in Windows don't behave the same in Linux.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Is <Alt><Drag> on the tail of an audio clip supposed to function like it does in Windows? Stretching or squeezing the clip but retaining pitch?
Some window managers (Xfce for example) will override Alt+click to move the current window. You can change that in the Xfce settings.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Some window managers (Xfce for example) will override Alt+click to move the current window. You can change that in the Xfce settings.
Very cool! Thanks for the pointer.

Fixed it in seconds with the following.

Issue xfce4-settings-manager in terminal
Click "settings editor"
Click xfwm4 channel
Change the value of easy_click from <alt> to nothing
Old 10-09-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
clepsydrae

Quote:
The usual is to change the magic key from Alt to the "Super" AKA "Windows" key. I find this kind of quick dragging and resizing of windows essential (especially on multi-monitor setups).
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:47 PM   #6
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
The usual is to change the magic key from Alt to the "Super" AKA "Windows" key. I find this kind of quick dragging and resizing of windows essential (especially on multi-monitor setups).
+1. I never, ever use the Win key for anything else, so it's the perfect place for any and all window/workspace shortcuts.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
+1. I never, ever use the Win key for anything else, so it's the perfect place for any and all window/workspace shortcuts.
I might give that a go, as long as it doesn't interfere with the things I do use the Windows key for, like Win-T for a terminal, and Win-F for a file browser.

For sizing windows I just found out about Alt-RightClick, which is much easier than the one pixel row grabbing that Xfce uses, and for moving windows, I've been doing it the same way as I always did in Windows, which is to grab the title bar.

Edit:

Well I tried it, but Xfce doesn't seem to want to let me use the Windows key. It wants a string, and won't allow me to change it to a key. I even tried running it with sudo, and it still won't let me change it. It originally had the text "alt" in that window, so is there some string name that is equal to the Windows key?

Oh, I get it "super" is the key. Now it works, thanks!

Last edited by Glennbo; 10-09-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #8
clepsydrae

Quote:
For sizing windows I just found out about Alt-RightClick, which is much easier than the one pixel row grabbing that Xfce uses, and for moving windows, I've been doing it the same way as I always did in Windows, which is to grab the title bar.
Yeah -- and Win-mouse-up/down to maximize/minimize is great too (at least that's how it works in kwin).
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Yeah -- and Win-mouse-up/down to maximize/minimize is great too (at least that's how it works in kwin).
Whoa, I just tried Win-MouseWheel, and found out to never use that!!!

It tried zooming my screen and everything disappeared but the background which did zoom. It left all the open windows invisible until the mouse passed over them. I was then able to drag a terminal window all over the screen and force a re-draw of everything.

In Xfce if I slam a window to the top it will maximize, and hitting the edges seems to go for a quarter or something. I have a 230 pixel margin set on the left for my stock ticker, calculator, and Kodi window to all live in, so that might affect the normal behavior for me.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:23 AM   #10
Lokasenna

Quote:
I might give that a go, as long as it doesn't interfere with the things I do use the Windows key for, like Win-T for a terminal, and Win-F for a file browser.

Edit:

Well I tried it, but Xfce doesn't seem to want to let me use the Windows key. It wants a string, and won't allow me to change it to a key. I even tried running it with sudo, and it still won't let me change it. It originally had the text "alt" in that window, so is there some string name that is equal to the Windows key?

Oh, I get it "super" is the key. Now it works, thanks!
Window Manager Tweaks -> Accessibility -> Key used to grab and move windows, for future reference.

I'm a little spoiled by having a Function key right next to it on my laptop, so all of the app shortcuts go there and the Win key is exclusively for positioning stuff. My current setup:

- Win + Numpad keys to tile windows to the sides and corners, with Win + 5 just toggling Maximize.

- Win + the normal 1 key or Win + 2 to send windows to either workspace.

- Win + Tab to switch workspaces.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 10-10-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:50 AM   #11
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Window Manager Tweaks -> Accessibility -> Key used to grab and move windows, for future reference.

I'm a little spoiled by having a Function key right next to it on my laptop, so all of the app shortcuts go there and the Win key is exclusively for positioning stuff. My current setup:

- Win + Numpad keys to tile windows to the sides and corners, with Win + 5 just toggling Maximize.

- Win + the normal 1 key or Win + 2 to send windows to either workspace.

- Win + Tab to switch workspaces.
I checked mine and it's set to "none" for key to grab. Does that one function as a single keystroke to grab a window that has focus?

That would be useful for me for those times when my second monitor is on the security cam system, and something opens on that monitor rather than the main. Normally when that happens, I have to switch the second monitor over to the computer so I can see the window to grab it and drag it onto the main monitor. If I can grab a window that has focus, even though I can't see it, that would be better.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #12
Lokasenna

It's the one for the "hold key + drag to resize a window", and then the "Window Manager" app has a bunch of shortcuts you can play with. If the new window is focused then I would think you should be okay, although you'd be limited to the tiling and/or arrow-key movement since it's the same workspace.

XFCE is a little frustrating about dual monitors IMO. You can't just have two workspaces and put the second workspace on the second monitor - it instead creates a second pair of workspaces for that monitor. This is technically correct, however, as per the spec for FreeDesktop or whatever it is most of the window managers are based on.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 10-10-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #13
Justin
Administrator

I'm going to move the discussion of modifier keys/desktop environments to a new thread...
Old 10-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I'm going to move the discussion of modifier keys/desktop environments to a new thread...
Works for me. I know the threads in here get a bit off the original topic, but many of the folks here, me included are totally new to Linux, so one question can morph into additional side questions.

I hope other new Linux users wanting to run REAPER will be able to sort out issues like this quicker with the help of some of this type of organization.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #15
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Works for me. I know the threads in here get a bit off the original topic, but many of the folks here, me included are totally new to Linux, so one question can morph into additional side questions.

I hope other new Linux users wanting to run REAPER will be able to sort out issues like this quicker with the help of some of this type of organization.
Yeah, it's completely expected that this would happen, I wanted to move it to make it more useful than buried in the "bug" thread
Old 10-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #16
Jack Winter

+1

I wanted to write something on this topic for a long time, but not quite sure how to go about it. Alt-click is the default X shortcut to move windows around, so one needs to disable or map it to something else when using reaper.

The WM/DE might also capture other shortcuts for it's own use, so that it never reaches reaper.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 10-10-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #17
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
The WM/DE might also capture other shortcuts for it's own use, so that it never reaches reaper.
For XFCE, anything mapped in the Keyboard or Window Manager shortcut lists. I discovered this earlier today when I accidentally mapped "R" to the application finder and then tried typing something. :P
Old 10-14-2018, 06:26 AM   #18
lilith93

Quote:
Very cool! Thanks for the pointer.

Fixed it in seconds with the following.

Issue xfce4-settings-manager in terminal
Click "settings editor"
Click xfwm4 channel
Thanks!