Old 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
Justin
Administrator

Default overlapping items

so it seems that what people want is that if two items overlap on a given track, and they don't crossfade to eachother, then one of them should be heard, and the other should not. correct?

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
fluffy
Human being with feelings

Correct. Perhaps there could even be an option to have sound on sound, a la Sonar?
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
Ben Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
so it seems that what people want is that if two items overlap on a given track, and they don't crossfade to eachother, then one of them should be heard, and the other should not. correct?

-Justin
Hmmm, don't know. Would be nice if there was a preference to be able to work either way. Overlap without xfade and hearing both events can be useful.
Ben Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

but dont throw out the option for autoxfade as it works perfect now, and we wouldnt have to beat anyone with blunt objects
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:31 PM   #5
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin

-Justin
I would have to think this is the same type of thing as an editing "Slip" Feature.
The problem usually with the overlap method is that either the Head or the tail has to take presidance as to which gets heard when they overlap. With Slip either the head or tail event can be moved.

I hope that makes sense?
Rednroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Zero
Hmmm, don't know. Would be nice if there was a preference to be able to work either way. Overlap without xfade and hearing both events can be useful.
Yuk, I just prefer to drop one event on another track below it.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
Ben Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll
Yuk, I just prefer to drop one event on another track below it.
Yep, can get messy! Was just thinking that are some - admitedly not many - times when overlap without crossfade could be useful. Obviously crossfading should be the default function though.
Ben Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
Justin
Administrator

So if two items overlap, and they aren't set to fade (or suppose one item is shorter than the other and starts and ends in the middle of it), should the later item override the first, for that period of time?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:59 PM   #9
Rednroll

I would have to say YES, that is the preferred method. I prefer the recording technical terms "Head" and "Tail". Thus we read from Left to Right, so the event to the Left of the edit point is the "Head" and the event to the right is the "Tail". So generally you edit by dragging the tail over the head, where you don't hear the section of the head that the tail is overlapping.

The decision is really this when editing music. For the tail let's say you trim the event so the start happens right on beat 1. So you would drag this to the left into the Head and keep moving it over the head until the the end of the head trimed away everything up to beat 1.

The flip side doing the same type of edit and having it function the other way. You would trim the end of the head up to beat "1". Then gradually drag the Tail into the head until the beginning of the Tail got trimmed off, where it trims right on beat "1".

These 2 examples are of course just an analogy assuming you're editing on the "1".

So that's really the choice you're asking for, which way works best? So take your pick of which one you prefer. Most that I've seen do it the first way, but does it really matter? Not really in my opinion, it's just a personal preference.

The more important feature is the Vegas "slide edit function". Hold the CNTRL+ALT keys and place the cursor at the edit point between 2 events in Vegas. So now either way you have a perfect "musical" edit in the above analogies. Meaning the beat is correct (ie 1,2,3,4<edit>1,2,3,4). The problem hear is that a lot of times there will be a crash cymbal that hits on the "&" of beat 4 on the Head event and carries over into the next few beats. So what you do, since you have a perfect "musical" edit as far as beats, you then slide the edit point between the 2 events, so that crash cymbal isn't getting cut off, when it reaches the end of beat "4". So now you might have (1,2,3,4,1,2,<edit>,3,4)

Hopefully, that makes sense. It's hard to describe in words. It's kind of like Deja Vu for me though, so it's kind of entertaining. I've had quite a few email conversations with the Sonic Foundry guys back in the Vegas 1,2,& 3 development days, where they where asking the same questions.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-25-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:04 AM   #10
weevil

I started to have a little look at this but I seem to have run into some bugs.

If I drag the last event on the bottom track of the default project over any other events it doesn’t crossfade.

If I drag the second last event on the bottom track over the event to its left it crossfades normally...until I drag it to the right of the stationary event’s start time. If I do that both events fades continue on completely beyond the overlapping sections.
weevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:53 AM   #11
weevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevil
I started to have a little look at this but I seem to have run into some bugs.

If I drag the last event on the bottom track of the default project over any other events it doesn’t crossfade.

If I drag the second last event on the bottom track over the event to its left it crossfades normally...until I drag it to the right of the stationary event’s start time. If I do that both events fades continue on completely beyond the overlapping sections.
I’m still getting these!!! Anyone else?
weevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:55 AM   #12
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevil
I’m still getting these!!! Anyone else?
Me. I can get them consistently
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:25 PM   #13
Justin
Administrator

The logic for the auto fading requires in that instance that the media items don't already have some fade that would be blown away. I will probably update the whole system to track the two different values (auto fade and user fade), so when the user does something to add and remove the auto fade the user fade is preserved...

-J