Old 06-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 7 End of Life

I almost never boot into Windows any more, but I needed to check something over there today and when it came up, I got the "THREE DAYS TO ACTIVATE" message.

I was like, "what?!?!". I then thought that maybe because I pulled an old M-Audio Delta 2496 card and added a Behringer UMC1820 that the change might have tripped the trigger. Then I realized I had disabled the NIC since Windows 7 has only FIVE months left before it's end of life. So I enabled the card, activated, disabled the card, rebooted and again I got the three days to activate message.

Microsoft must have changed something in one of the recent updates because the Windows side of my machine has had the NIC disabled for almost a year with me only enabling it to grab monthly rollups. I had planned to get updates until the very end, but I think I am 100% done with it now.

I ended up having to do an offline activation where you speak 54 numbers to an automated system that then gives you 54 counter codes to activate. I re-booted again with the NIC disabled and this time could go into the system manager and verify that it was indeed activated with the NIC disabled.

Anyway, the point of this long winded tale is for the folks who plan to take Windows 7 offline before the official die date in January 2020. I'm glad I did the offline activation, because now my Windows 7 is frozen for the rest of time, and sitting on the back burner of my dual boot Xubuntu/Win7 DAW.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
unfortunately linux is not ready for my needs yet and flstudio doesn't have linux support too, uughh, don't want to install that malware shitty windows 10, but i guess i'm tied to windows 4ever.
My original plan was to dual boot Windows 7 only for REAPER and with no internet connectivity, but shortly after setting up the dual boot machine, Justin dropped the "Experimental" versions of REAPER that are native Linux code. At first I thought I might be able to mess with the mix of a song or something in Linux but still do the heavy lifting in Windows.

That was a year ago and the last ten or more of my projects were tracked, mixed, and completed 100% in Linux, and using the same Windows plugins I used in Windows, like Kontakt, Superior Drummer 2, EZ-Keys, EZ-Drummer, Arturia MiniMoog Mk5, and pretty much everything I was using in Windows. I even just bought a Behringer UMC1820 8 input rack mount audio interface and it works great in Linux.

All that said, I am still keeping my old copy of Windows 7 live primarily for nostalgia at this point, but as soon as I need the 100GB I allocated to it, I'll kiss it's a$$ goodbye for ever.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Glad for you, linux grew up a lot and can be taken with all seriousness already , but i use flstudio alot, so for me there's no options for now.
How do you use Kontakt and other plugins? LinVST or something else?
I used linVST mostly, but sometimes it crashes, so requires dancing with tambourine and i'm not sure about performance of such linvst-servers in comparison to nude plugins on windows.
I run Kontakt and other Windows VST/VSTi plugins in wine-staging and bridge them with LinVST. To be sure, Windows plugins do perform better in Windows, but they are still very usable in Linux.

Using ALSA in REAPER at 64 samples latency I get 1.4/4.3ms on REAPER's display. I haven't really had any problems with LinVST.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
hopi

I am in win7 and plan to stay there....
Old 06-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #5
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
This is what I said about Win 7 recently on another forum:

I went back to Windows 7 after dual booting with Windows 10 for the better part of a year and it is the best operating system for Windows ever hands-down. I will wait for Windows 12 or whatever they decide to call it.

Then I wrote this around three weeks ago:

Scratch/ that, I am back using Windows 10.

My studio got massively attacked with Trojans and Worms like I have never seen before. It was a direct attack and I have suspicions that the Dicktator in Chief had something to do with it as I have been publicly complaining about what has been going on especially as of late.

Yes, I personally know a former POTUS and SOS but what is happening now is disgraceful. Stop watching FOX news or we are going to lose our democracy I am telling ya. History repeats itself and then it is too late.

Sorry, to have to bring that into this but we all have to stand up or who will. Deep state ladies and gentlemen with Russia as a bonus.

Three Windows 7 drives and two studio computers all got whacked out of the clear blues all at the same time. Yes they were networked but they were being used for studio work exclusively.

I come in and turn the computer on and I am invected and I say no problem I have backups. Nope they got into them as well. I fought these beasts for the better part of three solid days/nights with every thing I had and I have built and repaired many computers especially for friends and family.

This was bloody different and my point in all of this is 7 is no longer safe if connected to the internet no matter what Microsoft says and I had them in on this as well.

Anyway I am on Win 10 now and have formally said goodbye to Windows 7 for good. Sniff!

Yuck!

P. S. TL;DR, well I took my precious time for one purpose and that was to warn you about both because I care.
HIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO View Post
My studio got massively attacked with Trojans and Worms like I have never seen before. It was a direct attack and I have suspicions that the Dicktator in Chief had something to do with it . . .
You shouldn't be reading his infekted #tweets!
Old 06-20-2019, 08:25 PM   #7
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
LOL! Gman, I have missed you brother from another mother😊
Old 06-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #8
hopi

so you did not have some other AV running besides win7?
Old 06-21-2019, 12:56 AM   #9
Tommy V

Quote:
... Yes, I personally know a former POTUS and SOS but what is happening now is disgraceful. Stop watching FOX news or we are going to lose our democracy I am telling ya. History repeats itself and then it is too late.

Sorry, to have to bring that into this but we all have to stand up or who will. Deep state ladies and gentlemen with Russia as a bonus.
Oh pluhhhheeessseeee !!! This is delving into Tin-Foil-Hat territory ... even *I* know that this disgraceful situation started way back when Benjamin Franklin invented that Key-On-A-Kite-During-A-Lightning-Storm thingie ......

Old 06-21-2019, 02:02 AM   #10
maralatho

Quote:
unfortunately linux is not ready for my needs yet and flstudio doesn't have linux support too, uughh, don't want to install that malware shitty windows 10, but i guess i'm tied to windows 4ever.
There's an app called "O&O ShutUp 10" which will let you kill the telemetry. If you try it, I suggest you stick to the recommended settings so you don't lose important functionality.
maralatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:34 AM   #11
mikeroephonics

I purchased Windows 7 32-bit & 64-bit DVDs which include SP1 on the discs a few months ago. It's *really* hard to find a legit copy on eBay these days. Windows 10 can go die in a hole after what it did to me a few years ago (bricked 2 mainboards.) I'm staying with Windows 7 for as long as I can. So far, so good!
Old 06-21-2019, 03:03 AM   #12
enroe

Quote:
... and when it came up, I got the "THREE DAYS TO ACTIVATE" message.

I was like, "what?!?!" ...
Pooh, this is a strong motivation to migrate everything to Linux - at least
at long sight.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:16 AM   #13
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
I purchased Windows 7 32-bit & 64-bit DVDs which include SP1 on the discs a few months ago. It's *really* hard to find a legit copy on eBay these days. Windows 10 can go die in a hole after what it did to me a few years ago (bricked 2 mainboards.) I'm staying with Windows 7 for as long as I can. So far, so good!
That was pretty much my stance too. Win10 was fucking up too much.

The update mechanics have improved. "Will this Win10 update fuck me?" can now be more tightly controlled. You can opt out of feature updates and only stick to security updates as far as I know.

I'm getting a Win10 license this year. Win7 will only install on motherboards with USB3 chipsets with some trickery. The downsides of Win10 are slowly falling away and all the benefits could actually be a thing.

I'm keeping an eye on all news concerning Win10 updates. It's looking better, hopefully good enough by the end of the year.

Last edited by airon; 06-21-2019 at 03:22 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:06 AM   #14
HIO

@hopi & doppelganger, I had Windows Defender as an anti-virus and never had a problem with any Trojans, Worms, or Viruses for 10 years and was running Win7 with my own custom built machines running the lowest latencies imaginable thanks to REAPER and RME along with no interruptions from a third-party anti-virus protection.

IME, third-party virus protection can be a virus unto themselves.

IMHO, Microsoft wants migration to Windows 10 at all costs and has *already* stopped supporting Win7 while saving R&D so if you can disconnect your studio machine from the net then I would seriously consider it.

On Windows 10 I had set it up with a metered connection to avoid all of these bad updates they have been giving and their choosing when.

I own most of the UAD plugs with 14 SHARC processors and need their massive downloads (new plugs/updates with the full kit and kaboodle) occasionally with the internet or I would unplug eternally my two DAWs; I will unplug between downloads now.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
Part of what I was getting at with my original post was that since Windows 7 on my machine has been mostly offline with the network card disabled and it NEVER EVER gave me the need to activate message, that other things could also change like not being able to even activate your copy of Windows 7 once you disable your network card.

That would have been a real kick in the head if I had waited until the very last monthly rollup in December, then disable my NIC, and then find when the need to activate message comes up, that they will no longer activate a discontinued product. I think they still do now for XP, but I'm not sure and I haven't trusted Microsoft since they tried six ways to Sunday to force Windows 10 onto my machine without my authorization.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:37 AM   #16
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
My experience with Windows 10 was what made me switch to Linux.

First I got the new little GWX (Get Windows Ten) icon in my systray. Upon identifying what it was (I keep close tabs on what's going on with my machines), I quickly disabled it so I would NOT have the OS I preferred replaced with one I despise.

I also disabled Recommended Updates leaving only Important Updates enabled because that's where the GWX.exe file was being introduced onto my machine.

Then Microsoft adds intentionally confusing dialog to the GWX.exe popup message with two buttons, but NEITHER of them say DO NOT FUCKING PUT WINDOWS 10 ON MY MACHINE!!!! They say in intentionally confusing wording (paraphrased) Install it NOW, or Install it LATER TONIGHT, but it's getting installed!

Two or three weeks later and Microsoft catches on that many users have disabled Recommended Updates, so they start delivering GWX.exe with Important Updates, so I totally DISABLE KB3035583 so it can never be installed again and . . .

Next thing I know Windows 10 is being downloaded again, without my explicit authorization!

After that "Microsoft Experience" I knew I would be going to Linux as my next OS and would be doing it before 2020, and four of the seven machines in my house have already been switched to Linux. I recently totally retired an eighth machine that was running Windows 7.

Last edited by Glennbo; 06-21-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #17
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
Pooh, this is a strong motivation to migrate everything to Linux - at least
at long sight.
It is new behavior from one of the monthly rollups, because I've kept the Windows side of my DAW offline for about a year, only enabling the NIC to grab updates and it NEVER threw that message out before.

The good thing is that since I have activated it offline it should work until I upgrade my hardware, at which point I may just quit trying to keep it functioning. I really don't need Windows at all. Every single thing I was doing in Windows I am doing in Linux just as well.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #18
serr

Every time I start thinking "How can Apple just be pissing away everything like they're doing?", one of these Windows threads will pop up.

Well, at least Apple isn't doing that!
Heh, not doing that either.
Good grief are you serious?! Nope. They're not doing that either!

Still another reminder to start investing time learning Linux though!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #19
hopi

yeah... well Win 10 updating itself bricked me twice also... lost a month of full days of work each time....

but now there I have at least found a dl tool that will turn off the damn forced automatic updates of 10... and yes you can turn them back on...

why the hell M$ changed the update process from what it was in 7 is a stupid mystery...
Old 06-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #20
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Every time I start thinking "How can Apple just be pissing away everything like they're doing?", one of these Windows threads will pop up.

Well, at least Apple isn't doing that!
Heh, not doing that either.
Good grief are you serious?! Nope. They're not doing that either!

Still another reminder to start investing time learning Linux though!
Apple Mac would have been my second choice. I trust Apple enough to finally have switched to an iPhone after years of hanging onto my much more secure Blackberry Z10 which could do pretty much everything my iPhone does. Some of the radio bands it used are being phased out though to make room for 5G, and it made the reception spotty. Had it not been for that I'd prefer the functionality (like native WiFi network sharing) and security of the Blackberry Z10.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #21
Aeolian

Funny thing is, there is a version of win10 that, basically, has all the new stuff we want, and none of the bloat, but this isn't what M$ is ramming at us.

Instead we are being shoehorned into something else entirely, I'm not exactly sure what.

Airon mentioned that win7 won't install on usb3 without a fight.
Once those usb2 ports disappear from the wild, so will win7.

I've used the vanilla win10 enough to know that I detest it, whilst the embedded version performed like a utopian dream.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:20 PM   #22
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
Funny thing is, there is a version of win10 that, basically, has all the new stuff we want, and none of the bloat, but this isn't what M$ is ramming at us.

Instead we are being shoehorned into something else entirely, I'm not exactly sure what.

Airon mentioned that win7 won't install on usb3 without a fight.
Once those usb2 ports disappear from the wild, so will win7.

I've used the vanilla win10 enough to know that I detest it, whilst the embedded version performed like a utopian dream.
So if I were to install this on my Raspberry Pi, plug in my USB audio interface, install REAPER and I'd be ready to rock?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=55029

I already do have REAPER on my Pi, but it's the Linux ARM flavor.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #23
quigonkick

Quote:

I already do have REAPER on my Pi, but it's the Linux ARM flavor.
I am on the verge of building a new home recording studio around the Pi (since the 4 was released today) and would like to know how your Pi/Reaper combination has served you.

Does it handle multiple incoming audio tracks okay? Any latency issues? Does MIDI function normally?

Thanks in advance, Glennbo.
quigonkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #24
JamesPeters

Quote:
why the hell M$ changed the update process from what it was in 7 is a stupid mystery...
MS is trying to offload server bandwidth to the users, making them responsible for sending updates to others basically via bittorrent that's a part of the Win10 "update" system. You no longer just download updates directly from MS servers. You download them from a file sharing system of other Win10 users, and your computer becomes part of that system "seeding" the updates to others.

They want more people seeding the updates. That means they need people to have the updates in order to seed them to others. If you don't update, you're not part of that file sharing network for those updates. The file sharing is only good if more people seed the files.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:42 AM   #25
uksnowy

One option I am considering is going to Win 10 and then using Tron Script to get rid of all the bloat and nonsense.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TronScript/
Old 06-25-2019, 02:21 AM   #26
ivansc

Since I currently have an old spare Win10 on a core 2 duo dell box, what would be the easiest way to get a basic Linux for music distro installed on it that will run LInux reaper AND my little RME Babyface?

Suppose I should wander over to the Linux area...
Old 06-25-2019, 04:10 AM   #27
BobF

Quote:
My thoughts exactly ...

Hey HIO!
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #28
GordonDavid

Still running WinXP Pro without any problems. Will continue to do so until they all die.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:40 PM   #29
woogish

Quote:
This is what I said about Win 7 recently on another forum:

I went back to Windows 7 after dual booting with Windows 10 for the better part of a year and it is the best operating system for Windows ever hands-down. I will wait for Windows 12 or whatever they decide to call it.

Then I wrote this around three weeks ago:

Scratch/ that, I am back using Windows 10.

My studio got massively attacked with Trojans and Worms like I have never seen before. It was a direct attack and I have suspicions that the Dicktator in Chief had something to do with it as I have been publicly complaining about what has been going on especially as of late.

Yes, I personally know a former POTUS and SOS but what is happening now is disgraceful. Stop watching FOX news or we are going to lose our democracy I am telling ya. History repeats itself and then it is too late.

Three Windows 7 drives and two studio computers all got whacked out of the clear blues all at the same time. Yes they were networked but they were being used for studio work exclusively.

I come in and turn the computer on and I am invected and I say no problem I have backups. Nope they got into them as well. I fought these beasts for the better part of three solid days/nights with every thing I had and I have built and repaired many computers especially for friends and family.

This was bloody different and my point in all of this is 7 is no longer safe if connected to the internet no matter what Microsoft says and I had them in on this as well.

Anyway I am on Win 10 now and have formally said goodbye to Windows 7 for good. Sniff!

Yuck!

P. S. TL;DR, well I took my precious time for one purpose and that was to warn you about both because I care.
Keep smokin' that weed, Bru'
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:56 PM   #30
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkick View Post
I am on the verge of building a new home recording studio around the Pi (since the 4 was released today) and would like to know how your Pi/Reaper combination has served you.

Does it handle multiple incoming audio tracks okay? Any latency issues? Does MIDI function normally?

Thanks in advance, Glennbo.
I've only played back existing projects so far, and that was using the native Pi hardware but it did way better than I expected.

Since the last testing I was doing with my Pi I got a Behringer UMC1820 and I plan to see what happens if I plug that into the Pi and try to record five or six tracks at once.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #31
kulich

Is the takeaway that I should bring my studio PC upstairs and update win7?

Only asking because I bought a larger ssd and cloned it to house the OS. When I rebooted win7 asked for my serial etc. It was so much bother I put the old ssd back and put the issue on my to do list ... 6 months ago.

If updating solves it I'd be pleased.

P
kulich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:11 AM   #32
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulich View Post
Is the takeaway that I should bring my studio PC upstairs and update win7?

Only asking because I bought a larger ssd and cloned it to house the OS. When I rebooted win7 asked for my serial etc. It was so much bother I put the old ssd back and put the issue on my to do list ... 6 months ago.

If updating solves it I'd be pleased.

P
Sounds to me like a bad clone. Updating Windows won't fix that. I cloned the HD in my DAW to a Samsung SSD using their utility and the first boot from the SSD the machine came right up with all licensing in tact.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:15 AM   #33
kulich

Around Christmas there were smoking deals on ssds so I replaced the drives in 2 clunky laptops and my downloading desktop and it was as you say.

Encouraged I bought a Samsung 256gb ssd for downstairs and it balked.

I could try again.

P
kulich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:28 AM   #34
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulich View Post
Around Christmas there were smoking deals on ssds so I replaced the drives in 2 clunky laptops and my downloading desktop and it was as you say.

Encouraged I bought a Samsung 256gb ssd for downstairs and it balked.

I could try again.

P
Windows will sometimes get it's trigger tripped if hardware changes significantly. In that case you will get a message stating exactly that, and it's just a matter of clicking "Activate Now".

If it was asking you for serial numbers and product keys, that's a whole different thing and a path I wouldn't likely take. I'd try cloning again because it should go without any or much issue with the worst case scenario being the change of the SSD being enough to trigger the need for a simple click to re-activate.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:19 PM   #35
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogish View Post
Keep smokin' that weed, Bru'
Keep eatin' that scheisse, Bru'
Old 06-26-2019, 09:00 PM   #36
woogish

Quote:
Keep eatin' that scheisse, Bru'
Latest headline:

"LIB GETS KNICKERS IN A TWIST!"

what's new?
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #37
JHughes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
MS is trying to offload server bandwidth to the users, making them responsible for sending updates to others basically via bittorrent that's a part of the Win10 "update" system. You no longer just download updates directly from MS servers. You download them from a file sharing system of other Win10 users, and your computer becomes part of that system "seeding" the updates to others.

They want more people seeding the updates. That means they need people to have the updates in order to seed them to others. If you don't update, you're not part of that file sharing network for those updates. The file sharing is only good if more people seed the files.
Of course the torrent feature can be easily limited to your local network or turned off completely.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #38
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
Of course the torrent feature can be easily limited to your local network or turned off completely.
I turned it off completely, forever. I use Linux.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #39
LCipher

So can someone tell me the best way to get a legit Win10x64 license for a few of my Win7 machines?

VERY confusing with "prices" all over the map. I think the OEM on Amazon is like $99 which I think is a joke.

Then theres this https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...heap,5717.html
Does this mean I can use my WIN7 key??

Quote:
Nothing’s cheaper than free. If you’re looking for Windows 10 Home, or even Windows 10 Pro, it’s possible to get the OS onto your PC without paying a penny. If you already have a software/product key for Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, you can install Windows 10 and use the key from one of those older OSes to activate it. But note that a key can only be used on one PC at a time, so if you use that key for a new PC build, any other PC running that key is out of luck.
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #40
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCipher View Post
So can someone tell me the best way to get a legit Win10x64 license for a few of my Win7 machines?

VERY confusing with "prices" all over the map. I think the OEM on Amazon is like $99 which I think is a joke.

Then theres this https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...heap,5717.html
Does this mean I can use my WIN7 key??
Certainly looks like that is what they are saying. If you really want Windows 10, I'd try using an existing Win7 key. I'm personally retiring all my Windows 7 machines and converting them to Linux, but I'll still have a couple of Windows 8 tablet and Transformer devices once my last Win7 box goes Linux.