Old 12-07-2021, 05:18 PM   #1
tdc
Human being with feelings

Default M1 Max / Reaper / Pro Tools

Trialling a new M1 MacBook as a potential addition to the studio workflow, I am blown away with the first few days of results.

I have had a 1024 track session in Pro Tools recording in the background, whilst Reaper was also recording a 4096 track session. All whilst sitting on my Lap, on battery, silent, and only slightly warm. ( Multiple DAW's are good for redundancy when live recording large, long performances. In addition to a second machine of course)

In Pro Tools, even EuCon seems happy. Obviously there are many plugins and third party utilities that are yet to be optimised for the new architecture, but this is insane.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:43 PM   #2
Wallaby

Default Out of the socks

My Macbook Air M1 blow me completeley out of the socks in the first time and I'm still very happy.
It can get a bit hot, then the activity monitor is helpful.
Once I found Photoshop was running while it was quit. It was running in the background and heated up the computer.
When a Reaper project stays open in the back for long time the computer gets hot too.
This M1 technology is like a quantum leap for me.
Great to see all the software makers keep their upgrading work. Especially RME !
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:46 PM   #3
tdc

Hey Wallaby,

I would have preferred the 14" M1, but my research showed that the thermal capacity of the larger unit meant it would not get as warm. I think I recall the M1 Air was prone to a little heat as it doesn't have a fan? But what an amazing and elegant device!
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Trialling a new M1 MacBook as a potential addition to the studio workflow, I am blown away with the first few days of results.

I have had a 1024 track session in Pro Tools recording in the background, whilst Reaper was also recording a 4096 track session. All whilst sitting on my Lap, on battery, silent, and only slightly warm. ( Multiple DAW's are good for redundancy when live recording large, long performances. In addition to a second machine of course)

In Pro Tools, even EuCon seems happy. Obviously there are many plugins and third party utilities that are yet to be optimised for the new architecture, but this is insane.
I'm thinking about the same thing. I use a windows Ryzen 5950x DAW in the studio but thought a new MAcbook M1 might be a great mobile machine. I've seen a lot of negatives though so am on the fence.

M