Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-20-2022, 02:38 AM   #1
Pink Wool
Human being with feelings

Default Any way to do this on Reaper? Sample chopping Ableton style

Please help me, oh electric techno gods using Reaper! How would one work in a similar manner in Reaper?

Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:45 AM   #2
sonicowl

Download Ableton Free, and chop it there, then import into Reaper.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:49 AM   #3
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicowl View Post
Download Ableton Free, and chop it there, then import into Reaper.
Well, it's not about "chopping" per say, it's more about looping at different points of the sample (choppy sound) as you can see in the video? I do have Live but I really dislike working on it!

Last edited by Pink Wool; 01-20-2022 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:09 AM   #4
nofish

In ReaSamplomatic "Sample start offset" is a paramater which could be modulated by Reaper's parameter modulation, that should do it I guess?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:10 PM   #5
chriscomfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
In ReaSamplomatic "Sample start offset" is a paramater which could be modulated by Reaper's parameter modulation, that should do it I guess?
I tried a quick version of this and it seems to work as expected. Put a JS arpeggiator, Sequencer Baby/Megababy or something similar just before the ReaSamplomatic. Just make sure to tick the "Obey note-offs" check box.

Also, the example video reminds me of a song a "wrote" many years ago that used NI Reaktor's Travelizer (if I'm remembering correctly) which is a wave-scanner synth/effect. It was a very cool effect. I'm not sure if that synth/effect is available in the free or intro versions of Reaktor. But if you can, you should check it out. Very powerful stuff.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:00 AM   #6
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscomfort View Post
I tried a quick version of this and it seems to work as expected. Put a JS arpeggiator, Sequencer Baby/Megababy or something similar just before the ReaSamplomatic. Just make sure to tick the "Obey note-offs" check box.

Also, the example video reminds me of a song a "wrote" many years ago that used NI Reaktor's Travelizer (if I'm remembering correctly) which is a wave-scanner synth/effect. It was a very cool effect. I'm not sure if that synth/effect is available in the free or intro versions of Reaktor. But if you can, you should check it out. Very powerful stuff.
THANK YOU! I didn't know you could modulate the "Sample start offset" with an LFO!

I'll have to check out reaktor's Travelizer!
Old 01-22-2022, 11:38 AM   #7
ashcat_lt

I have to try it again, but I was messing with modulating start (and end) time in RS5K, and got pretty nasty glitching and popping if the start time changed while the sample was playing. With a free running, continuous LFO, it’s pretty much always changing, so that’s kind of not the best way to do it.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:06 AM   #8
jrk

You can link Sample start to a keytrack thing. Like this one:
https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/mus...is-script.html

So you'd go [bunch of midi notes] -> arp -> keytrack -> ReaSamplomatic (param linked)

Or, of course, write / play the midi pattern yrself - so you're playing the start offset.

This will be less prone to clicks than changing the offset during a note with a lfo.

Last edited by jrk; 01-23-2022 at 05:12 AM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:34 AM   #9
juan_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I have to try it again, but I was messing with modulating start (and end) time in RS5K, and got pretty nasty glitching and popping if the start time changed while the sample was playing. With a free running, continuous LFO, it’s pretty much always changing, so that’s kind of not the best way to do it.
Even with continuous LFO shapes such as sine or triangle?
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:59 AM   #10
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
Even with continuous LFO shapes such as sine or triangle?
Yes. Moving the start while playing will produce some glitching. It may work for you - if you want a glitchy sound. Square might even be less glitchy - since with tempo sync you can get changes to fall at the note start / end (or between notes)
Old 01-23-2022, 09:34 AM   #11
ashcat_lt

Yeah and true squares just go between two posistions. We need something stepped. Yes, we can mix squares together in various ways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
That will help a lot. In fact I need it for many other reasons. I know such things are out there, but it’s not on my computer because I’m a lazy dick... thanks for the link!
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:04 AM   #12
juan_r

Indeed, KeyTrack generator or KeyHack generator work just fine! Instant modern, random rhythmic pads. Thanks for the mention, @jrk.

SUMMARY

KeyTrack generator (tracks keyboard faithfully) - With routing instructions

KeyHack generator (picks a random value on every note on)
https://disq.us/url?url=https%3A%2F%...g&cuid=4133214
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:52 PM   #13
Vagelis

Yes you can do it in Reaper with exactly the same way. All you need is 3 plugins, js midi arpeggiator (or to draw 16th notes in midi editor), rearack lfo to modulate the start position(because it has a stepped random shape and parameter modulation doesn't) and Rs5000 with attack, sustain and release fully closed to get that gate effect by adjusting the decay.
I prepared a quick video to show the exact steps.

https://mega.nz/file/ABZ2jLgC#YrKHug...n9hoyQb86N3kCw
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:51 PM   #14
jrk

Cool. And if the fearsome clicking bothers you, fiddle with the attack / release on ReaSamplomatic
Old 01-23-2022, 03:30 PM   #15
Vagelis

Quote:
Cool. And if the fearsome clicking bothers you, fiddle with the attack / release on ReaSamplomatic
Yes the attack can give you some random reverse if you modulate it also with same random lfo from rearack.
Another neat trick is to load a bunch of your samples in the list of Rs5k, these samples can be played individually if you adjust the note velocity. Different velocity values will playback a different sample from the list, which kind of gives you the feeling of multisampling. (You can see which sample is playing from the list if you look in the sampler the numbers above the list)
So If you draw some notes and randomize their velocities, the sample order from the list will change too and they will be played in random order just by one sampler instance. Then again if you automate the start position, it will randomize the sample order and their start position on given time. Here how it will sound.

https://mega.nz/file/8dhEECSY#Mn7LqA...xKrT88FBQJ-Utk

And if you want to take it even more further for sound effects ala musique concrete, you can modulate the pitch.

https://mega.nz/file/RFxmxSpY#pU9Fme...SG9cCcpvfWmT9M

Also for glitch/stutter beats, you can set the loop on and modulate the length/end position. Each time it reach the start position, depending on the distance between start/end, it will produce a loop on various length, given that you modulate both start/end points.

Last edited by Vagelis; 01-23-2022 at 03:41 PM.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:47 PM   #16
Pink Wool

Quote:
You can link Sample start to a keytrack thing. Like this one:

So you'd go [bunch of midi notes] -> arp -> keytrack -> ReaSamplomatic (param linked)

Or, of course, write / play the midi pattern yrself - so you're playing the start offset.

This will be less prone to clicks than changing the offset during a note with a lfo.
Yes! Thank you

And a big thank you to everyone else who's contributed too!
Old 04-01-2024, 11:30 AM   #17
alienmindarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Yes the attack can give you some random reverse if you modulate it also with same random lfo from rearack.
Another neat trick is to load a bunch of your samples in the list of Rs5k, these samples can be played individually if you adjust the note velocity. Different velocity values will playback a different sample from the list, which kind of gives you the feeling of multisampling. (You can see which sample is playing from the list if you look in the sampler the numbers above the list)
So If you draw some notes and randomize their velocities, the sample order from the list will change too and they will be played in random order just by one sampler instance. Then again if you automate the start position, it will randomize the sample order and their start position on given time. Here how it will sound.

https://mega.nz/file/8dhEECSY#Mn7LqA...xKrT88FBQJ-Utk

And if you want to take it even more further for sound effects ala musique concrete, you can modulate the pitch.

https://mega.nz/file/RFxmxSpY#pU9Fme...SG9cCcpvfWmT9M

Also for glitch/stutter beats, you can set the loop on and modulate the length/end position. Each time it reach the start position, depending on the distance between start/end, it will produce a loop on various length, given that you modulate both start/end points.

Thanks for this demonstrative videos! i was looking for someting like this a few weeks ago, im glad i came across your post! the creative possibilities are endless!
I know i come a bit late on this thread but thanks again!
alienmindarts is online now   Reply With Quote