Old 03-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
ruggero
Human being with feelings

Default gui for reaper effects

Why Reaper graphic effects interfaces don't have been updated in those years?
I find them not appealing in comparison of daw suites as S1 or the free Bandlab Cakewalk.
ruggero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #2
emwhy

I'm on Windows 10 and use the 3rd party dark theme Penumbra, it makes those GUIs look a bit better.
emwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
ivansc

ruggero: This has been a long running complaint from many users.... The devs supplied the inbuilt plugins as a basic "get you started" set of plugs & never planned on them forming the basis of someone`s custom recording & mixing setup, so I rather doubt they will bother tarting them up. Too many free and paid alternatives out there for those of us that like to look at the sounds we are hearing as well as listen, I guess.

There again, several people HAVE come up with GUIs for most of the rea plugins if you really dont like using the plain vanilla version.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:40 PM   #4
Colox

I'm of the strict opposite opinion. I find the EEL plugins look so liberating. No blinking neon disco lights or pointless meter readings, or black backgrounds with animated fire flames in it, like in kindergarten or teenage cars.

Whenever have you heard of a craftsman, a plumber or a carpenter, ever getting occupied with the idea that their adjustable wrenches don't look very macho? And whenever has that been anything but a negative influence on productivity, or even quality?

Fine, put support in there for themes or background images, or fire flames or show naked anime girls on it. Just don't make it a permanent option that can't be removed when needed. That would be just downright atrocious. I say keep it plain, non-intrusive, non-memorable, square, no readouts but the absolute necessary, and try to use absolute gray for background whenever you can.

The human brain's abilities and limitations are pretty easily measured, and well known for those do who measure it. Its resources are limited to a certain amount, just like your physical energy. The more you consume from that amount, the sooner you'll start feeling a weird diffuse feeling of bore, overwhelmed, or sudden new interest for something simple like food or TV. It's because all those visual impression wore your mind and attention out. It's straining. Young teens who are using a screen environment that'll make you car sick, they have a strange tendency of beginning lots of music projects but great difficulties finishing things. That's real mysterious to some.

Last edited by Colox; 03-27-2020 at 11:10 PM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:04 AM   #5
DrKev

I tend to fall into the "I don't really care but..." category, I would like the Rea GUIs to follow the feel of the default theme.

And then again of course the powers that be clearly have decided that it's not important. I can only assume they know what they are doing better than anyone else.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:01 AM   #6
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
I tend to fall into the "I don't really care but..." category, I would like the Rea GUIs to follow the feel of the default theme.

And then again of course the powers that be clearly have decided that it's not important. I can only assume they know what they are doing better than anyone else.
My feelings exactly.