Old 01-26-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
cutnpaste
Banned

Default Question regarding the Reaper manual

I think that is a detailed title, I think it should be satisfactory to the king of the forum.

According to mschnell Reaper supports additional midi ports and evil dragon has shown how it is used, but the procedure seem so over the top just to use something that is supposed to be built in ready for the people to use. Having to assign the port when you are going to use it seem a bit crazy of a procedure. Then why is the manual completely ignoring the midi port procedure and not a single word about setting up midi ports. I did a search on the manual it reported 0 items found.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:32 AM   #2
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Nice job on the title. It's really helpful to others find threads when looking to solve a similar problem.

I have 3 midi devices that are always available in prefs /midi devices though if a midi device is not plugged in then I have to run the action Reset Midi Devices after I plug it in. I made the reset into a toolbar button so it's easy to run when needed.

Another possible title could be Midi Port Documentation Seems Lacking but yours is very good.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:59 AM   #3
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Another possible title could be Midi Port Documentation Seems Lacking but yours is very good.
LOL. Some may scoff, but the importance of having a good, descriptive thread title cannot be overstated. We are VERY fortunate on this forum, in that hovering the mouse over the thread title displays the first few lines of content.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
alanofoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
...the importance of having a good, descriptive thread title cannot be overstated...
Totally agree.

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:52 PM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutnpaste View Post
Then why is the manual completely ignoring the midi port procedure and not a single word about setting up midi ports.
You are right. This is a shortcoming I also already pointed out long ago. I provided an addition but I seem to remember that I did not decently grasp the conception at that time. (As I described to you in the other thread) I now understand that the buses are just 4 bits of extension to the Midi channel that is present in any Midi message and not (as I thought at that time) related to the "Reaper Control Path" which also is a special purpose means of Midi routing that is not documented clearly enough.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:39 AM   #6
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
You are right. This is a shortcoming I also already pointed out long ago.
-Michael
Hi Michael,

If this discussion is about MIDI buses, you'll find it in 13.38 of the User Guide. Otherwise, would you be good enough please to pm me to enable us to discuss what needs to be done?Apologies for not getting on to it sooner, unfortunately I do sometimes overlook things!

Cheers

Last edited by nicholas; 01-29-2019 at 03:52 AM.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:01 AM   #7
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutnpaste View Post
why is the manual completely ignoring the midi port procedure and not a single word about setting up midi ports. I did a search on the manual it reported 0 items found.
Thank you for the question. To answer:

Because I don't claim to be 100% on top of absolutely everything about every aspect of REAPER all of the time. It is such a powerful fully featured piece of software developing at such a phenomenal rate that I do sometimes overlook things. This was made more challenging by the fact that for most of 2018 I was living in emergency accommodation with only limited PC and internet access because of a flood at my house. I have still not completely cleared the backlog.

That said, I do always appreciate it when people come forward with constructive suggestions, even more so when they help offer solutions. My understanding is that a MIDI Port is simply a socket into which you plug an external MIDI device. I wonder if you mean MIDI buses? If you would be good enough to explain exactly what you mean by "MIDI ports" we can perhaps take it from there.

Last edited by nicholas; 01-29-2019 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:25 AM   #8
Bazzbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
This was made more challenging by the fact that for most of 2018 I was living in emergency accommodation with only limited PC and internet access because of a flood at my house. .
Yikes! hope all is normal again homewise Nicholas.
May I take this opportunity to once again thank you for producing the manual, I am totally reliant on it (and this forum).
Old 01-29-2019, 04:29 AM   #9
DarkStar

@ nicholas

There is absolutely no need to apologise, although I can understand your disappointment. Your user guide has helped out hundreds, if not thousands, of users. Keep up the good work.

I, for one, do not understand exactly what cutnpaste means by "MIDI ports" or what he / she wants to do. "MIDI ports", within Reaper, is not a term that I recognise.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:38 AM   #10
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
@ nicholas
I, for one, do not understand exactly what cutnpaste means by "MIDI ports" or what he / she wants to do. "MIDI ports", within Reaper, is not a term that I recognise.
Thanks, that's why I was wondering if she/he was referring to MIDI Buses which is the only thing I can think of that might be relevant. But equally I might well have missed something else.

That's why I do ask people to offer as much information as they can when raising such questions. "Hit and run" posts are difficult to respond to.

Last edited by nicholas; 01-29-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:48 AM   #11
Paul99

Quote:
@ nicholas

There is absolutely no need to apologise, although I can understand your disappointment. Your user guide has helped out hundreds, if not thousands, of users. Keep up the good work.

I totally agree. I am very glad the way you manage to maintain "our" Reaper manual. Even now I hear you were having problems caused by a flood. I hope all is well with you!
Also: it is impossible to have every detail of Reaper covered in the manual. It would make the manual contain 1000's of pages.
In case certain aspects are not covered, there is always this great forum of help available!
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:12 AM   #12
mschnell

Quote:
A very much agree !!!

@ nicholas: Regarding the Midi, I'll re.read the guide and write a personal Mail, as the wording sockets is slightly misleading, because JSFXes can use all buses at the same time, while VSTs can't. Anf there still is the issue of the "control path Midi Bus" ...

-Michael
Old 01-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #13
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Hi Michael,

If this discussion is about MIDI buses, you'll find it in 13.38 of the User Guide. Otherwise, would you be good enough please to pm me to enable us to discuss what needs to be done
I sent you an e-mail, continuing the discussion we had 10/2017

-Michael