Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #1
Clegs
Human being with feelings

Default Saving a few tracks from curr project to a new one.

This should be a simple process, but I created a whole bunch of confusion and problems for myself instead.

I have a project with 30 tracks and am having issues with Melodyne ARA-2 in Reaper not retaining changes if you make trim/level changes in a track item's volume in my vocal tracks.

I was going to send just those vocal tracks to Melodyne for anaysis so I opened the original project and did a "save as" with a different name (and I thought I checked the correct "copy instead of move" in the "save" window), but the new project under the new name took all the audio files, i.e., when I tried to open the original project, the audio files were off-line (not there). So, I closed and opened the orig. project again and when the search prompt appeared stating that it could find the audio files and asked if I wanted to search for them, I browsed to where the audio files were moved (in the new project with the new name) and it searched and found them. It grabbed the audio files OK, and all seemed well, EXCEPT, when I went into the Project/FX bay browser in the orig project, the path for the audio files was to the new project with the new name.

My intention in doing the "save as" under a new name was to delete all tracks except the Melodyned vocal tracks in the new project, and to send that project to Melodyne. But now I'm afaid if I delete any of those audio files my original project won't have a source for the audio files and I'd be in big trouble . . . big trouble.

At this point, how do I get the path to the audio files to be to the original project with the original file name? As I said, this should have been a simple process, but it turned into a mess. Any suggestions would be appreciated to fix the current issue, and then, to suggestion a better process for doing this sort of thing in the future. Thanks.
Clegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:38 AM   #2
nofish

You can copy / paste complete tracks from project to project.
Select desired tracks, Ctrl+C (on Windows), open target project, Ctrl+V.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
Clegs

nofish: OK on the copying from project to project, but will that create a path to the original audio files, or will create and new one to the new project under the new project's name. I'm gonna be sending these vocal tracks to some who won't have the te audio file that reside in the original project.

Any suggestions on restoring the path and name to the audio file original project in my first post?
Old 06-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #4
hopi

you can have it either way... and BTW an easy way to get this done is by having two tabs open with one project on each tab...

So Ok... say you copy from Pro 2 to Pro 1
Now do a Save as of Pro 1 and check the boxes down low in that window to copy all media into project folder and also create sub directory

you'll get copies of all the media files in that Save as Pro 1 folder without removing them from Pro 2

Oh sorry just read your post better...
did you try to just copy the audio files that got moved back to their original location?

Last edited by hopi; 06-06-2019 at 09:09 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:53 AM   #5
Clegs

Regarding getting the correct/original path and project name restored to the audio files if you make the error I made, Jon Tidey on the Blog explained: Go to the Project Media/FX Bay, select all the files (that is if they're already there because you searched for them already in the other project location), rt click then Move/Copy File> Move file to Project Media Directory. Now the path will be in the your project under that name.

Note that if you create a new project and drag or copy tracks there, you still have to do the above operation to get the files in the new project path and under its name, or else they'll keep being sourced from the other location (so if you send the new project to someone or open it in some other computer where those files are not located, the files won't be there. . . no audio info/trks.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #6
Clegs

In addition to Jon Tidey's tips, I found a related referece in Kenny G's video on the Project Media/FX Bay 4:30 minutes in: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#U8_fSWVH4qs

One other thing about copying a track or tracks (and this is simple stuff, but a newby my overlook it): If you have many Items in a track, you must select all of them before copying (by double clicking the Track box at the left). Then, once you paste it/them into the new project, you must copy the audio source files into the Path of the new project, per the methods previously mentioned (select all > rt clk then Copy Imported Media To Project Media Directory.