Old 07-30-2016, 07:16 AM   #1
80icio
Human being with feelings

Default Music revolution?

Hi guys from Reaper forum

i'll try to make it as quick as possible,
i'm a producer
and i have a couple ideas i'd like to share with you.
I really think Music is done, at least 99% of it,
music scene is saturated of fake bands...fake albums...fake vocals...fake artists
and that's probably part of its evolving path.
At the same time there's a lot of amazing musicians, popular and not, that still believe in a new life for the music market....LIKE I DO.

Perfection have created some kind of monsters....and people is getting far and far from reality....from real music...from real photos...and even from sustainable living....
I do think we need to go back to something real
and i'm sure i'm not the only one who's been thinking about that

Reaper seems to be the perfect software company to develop a way to block stuff like autotune, drum editing or any other pitch and time editing....
and give a certificate of guarantee that what you're listening to is real....or at least it's just the best take you'll hear of that song

i know that most of the living beings in the world don't care about this, i get it....

but i think that this is how music will make a difference and live again

and finally... people that cannot really play an instrument will change and do something else....

WHAT YOU GUYS THINK?
80icio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:20 AM   #2
barrymk

I'd like to think you were right......
Old 07-30-2016, 08:35 AM   #3
Smashed Transistors

Sure 80icio ... only certified musicians should be allowed to play music.

An anti-non-musician filter would be a great feature.

Who will decide who is worthy enough to be called a Musician ?
Have you already designed a non-musician blocking algorithm ?

BTW i m not sure you are posting in the right forum.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
80icio

Hey Smashed Transistors!
i think you didnt get me right

everyone is free to play and sing of course! why not?

but if you aren't able to sing you just gonna suck on your record...because no autotune is going to save you....got it??
it's very simple.... and it could be a feature...but maybe i'm too futuristic for you...

softwares nowadays can make a ton of things...
next level is putting ethics even into the software.

That's why i think this is the right forum, even if i know this is pretty far away from just a software feature, it's revolution!

Last edited by 80icio; 07-30-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
mccrabney

bawww you luddite. go bash some rocks together in the lounge
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
MRMJP

What would prevent somebody from tuning some vocals in another DAW and just importing those items into the session?
Old 07-30-2016, 12:11 PM   #7
slipstick

Good luck with turning back the clock. Do you want to insist that musicians build their own instruments, amps and effects too, in the spare time they have after growing their own food and building their windmills ?

There is no problem with you making music the way you want. Many thousands of musicians and bands already do it. Some of them play in orchestras or sing in opera or play jazz or blues. It's only in one tiny part of the musical world where autotune, drum programming and effects rule.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #8
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
. Do you want to insist that musicians build their own instruments, amps and effects too
Steve
Well I did.....
Old 07-30-2016, 12:49 PM   #9
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Well I did.....
Hauling amps on the back of old Beezas and Nortons did tend to break em pretty regularly eh?
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #10
OPI

Yes a revolution. I think the music is better then ever. That's what the entire young generation thinks aswell lol. Threads like this are mind boggling. I hope that I will keep up with modern music when I'm old... Cause this is just sad.
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #11
A Little Man and a House

So I guess since I'm using almost 100% virtual instruments atm, all my mp3s would export with Certified Fake in the metadata? At least people will know what they're in for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80icio View Post
next level is putting ethics even into the software.
Reaper's great, but I just wish it would judge me more, y'know?...
A Little Man and a House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #12
Smashed Transistors

Only certified cyberneticians should have access to computers !

Quote:
and it could be a feature...but maybe i'm too futuristic for you...
...ethics even into the software.
Futuristic is not the word i would use for such concepts. It sounds very 1984 to me.

Again, this thread belongs to the lounge.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:15 PM   #13
slipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Well I did.....
Me too, but that was a while ago. I'm better now .

Steve
Old 07-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #14
80icio

you guys are right

it's probably too intricate to code, too easy to hack, too difficult to understand for people

i'll find my way to make shitty bands still sound like shit with no edits and no retuning

and yes Smashed Transistors This thread doesn't belong to feature request anymore
Old 07-30-2016, 05:36 PM   #15
mccrabney

drum machines have no soul. neither does human kind. we're perfect for each other.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:58 PM   #16
Sibben

Does anyone remember all the fuzz in the 70s and 80s...how synthesizers was ruining "real music". Interviews with violinists who feared for their jobs. That was hillarious. Regarding autotune I for one welcome our new, pitch perfect, masters.

80icio, what about the guys who helidrop into a stadium, stick a USB stick into the PA and wave their arms in the air. Can we just shoot them? Then we take their monies.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:37 AM   #17
80icio

i guess i'll keep this thread so you can discuss about drum machines with no soul and stuff..and killing dj's ... it's pretty fun...

I've been talking about tuning vocals and pitch and tempo editing but seems like most of you wanna talk about computer music and synths...i believe it's not the same thing

Anyway, i'll say it again, it wasn't the best idea... but i guess that some of you got the point
Old 07-31-2016, 02:55 AM   #18
Softsynth

No way to prove people are not "cheating". No way to rewind the clock.

Take yourself to the lounge and talk to Viscofisy so you can commiserate together

This might bake your noodle a little but while the percentage of people with access to make and produce music affordably is greater than ever there are also far more people that can play a musical instrument than ever before too. Sales of musical instruments are extremely high, more guitars are being sold than ever before. However there are so many companies in the game that it is a tough market.

Also just as competition produces ever faster athletes so too Classical musicians are pushed harder and harder to levels of technical excellence, arguably greater than ever before. They have generations of recorded artists to compete against. Same in jazz too.

Rather than listening to pre produced Pop stop worrying about it and go and listen to live musicians, practice your chosen instruments. Check out YouTube for musicians, plenty of them showing off their technical skills to camera.

If you want to record without heavy "cheat" editing (if you see it that way) just record without MIDI editing. Don't use a DAW, record everything in live edits in Audacity and resist the temptation to use editing effects.

Youtube has created a new platform for artists worldwide to compare and compete with their own renditions. You should not find it hard to find "real musicians".

As for an elitist muso DAW that only allows real musicians that's not very welcoming to disabled people, or people creating orchestral mock ups. They will never hear their music performed by real musicians.
Imagine you lost an arm and could no longer play, you could still compose electronic music via a DAW.

Forget about turning back time, just look in different places.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:31 AM   #19
JDL

Me I love me some synthetic, programmed drums; pitched, tuned, and mangled vocals; disharmonious melodies - when done right. Like guys like Amon Tobin and Aphex Twin do.
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:01 AM   #20
slipstick

What I like about modern music making is that we have all sorts of ways of getting musical ideas out there. It's not necessary to be a virtuoso on every instrument to be able to compose/produce your ideas.

A few hundred years back composers had to get top musicians in to play parts that they themselves could write but never play. Nobody called them "fakers". I don't see very much difference between that and using modern tools to produce music that you could never play directly yourself. It's all music in the end, if it sounds good there's not much wrong with it.

Steve
Old 07-31-2016, 07:59 AM   #21
JamesPeters

I don't see why this is a problem. Music has undergone a revolution. It used to be up on a pedestal, with production values the average person could only dream of attaining, and relying upon multiple musicians to flesh out a song idea (or you had to learn every instrument and play it properly). Now making good music with good production values is within reach of a much larger number of people. That doesn't change the fact that you still have to make memorable music. And it doesn't change people's tastes; a large demographic will always prefer "crappy music". Thankfully that doesn't stop you from making "great music" at home with friends or if necessary by yourself.

Further on the subject of how music has "gotten worse": no it hasn't. You just can't expect record labels to do anything other than go for the "quick cash" now though. You find good music wherever you find it. Sometimes it's a guy in Sweden in a small apartment posting stuff on Youtube from his laptop. Other times it's a band in Australia who recorded in a studio and are selling their songs on iTunes. If you expect to "make it big" in the music industry you're probably going to be disappointed. But that doesn't stop you from making great music with great production values (and if you're fortunate, having it be a source of income).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:10 AM   #22
SmajjL

He said Sweden, he said Sweden!
*Me moonwalks backwards out*

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:38 AM   #23
Airal
Banned

Quote:
Hi guys from Reaper forum

i'll try to make it as quick as possible,
i'm a producer
and i have a couple ideas i'd like to share with you.
I really think Music is done, at least 99% of it,
music scene is saturated of fake bands...fake albums...fake vocals...fake artists
and that's probably part of its evolving path.
At the same time there's a lot of amazing musicians, popular and not, that still believe in a new life for the music market....LIKE I DO.

Perfection have created some kind of monsters....and people is getting far and far from reality....from real music...from real photos...and even from sustainable living....
I do think we need to go back to something real
and i'm sure i'm not the only one who's been thinking about that

Reaper seems to be the perfect software company to develop a way to block stuff like autotune, drum editing or any other pitch and time editing....
and give a certificate of guarantee that what you're listening to is real....or at least it's just the best take you'll hear of that song

i know that most of the living beings in the world don't care about this, i get it....

but i think that this is how music will make a difference and live again

and finally... people that cannot really play an instrument will change and do something else....

WHAT YOU GUYS THINK?
I am sorry, but this is very short-sighted. It is just as artificial as auto-tune. A band-aid on top of a band-aid. Why?

Simply because you are not addressing the real problem. The problem isn't with autotune, the problem isn't with DAW's, etc. The problems is with the people. It's the same logic that says "Ban all guns". Guns don't kill people and auto-tune doesn't make people not sing well.

If you are tired of the crazy insane world, accept it all as being insane. Everything humans do is crazy meaningless gobbledygook. Entertainment is the epitome of insanity. It's where all the crazy people can go, make a living for doing things that don't matter in the real world, and be ok with it because they have built it up in to an accepted form of reality. Politics is even worse because it involves power and control. The whole westernized education structure is insane. The reason we have so many problems in the world is because we are insane. Look at all the people that people if aliens, a god, etc. There's no proof of such things, but just like Santa Clause, they believe it to be true. Money is another big insane thing. It means nothing yet people kill over it on a daily basis. Murder is the most insane thing to do, yet nations do it(and hence the nations must be insane).

There is not much that can be done. Music is shit because it preaches insane values(look at almost any song and it is meaningless, which is why the typical insane human likes it, because their mind makes sense of it).

Why are all these things insane? Because 1. They are not in line with evolution(where we came from and have been most our existence). 2. They lead to insane conditions and a general state of insanity. E.g., a rap song talking about "bitches, fucking, and killing"... A country sound about "dogs, mudding, and breaking up", or a metal song about hate and violence, etc.

These are all excepted forms of music by the public. One could pick out many such things across the board of human endeavors(Politics, science, Entertainment, Military, etc. I'm only picking on music because we are in a music forum). Humanity has brainwashed itself in to oblivion and, IMO, too far gone to recover. Humanity is one big dysfunctional family with no easy way out.

The good news is that not everyone is completely insane and some recognize where we are at. You obviously have some clue. The worse things get the more obvious they become and the more people are going to become aware of such things. The only question is: will you give up and join in the game or resist and try to change it? They say resistance if futile.. but remember, they are insane!
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:55 PM   #24
SmajjL

One heck of a FR.. poor devs.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote