Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 06-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
0x15e
Human being with feelings

Default Multiple Video Windows in Reaper 5

I've been experimenting with using Reaper 5 for making video loops and even as-is, it's worlds easier than just about any other video software I've tried.

Something that would be great that it doesn't currently have is the ability to show multiple video windows. Basically, I would want to "hold" one at some marker (or beginning / end of time selection) and have the other follow the cursor like it does already.
0x15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
airon

Reaper most likely won't get a second video window soon as it's been stated by the devs that Reaper is not to become a full featured video editor, but continue to be developed as an audio workstation software instead.

Sounds like you need a source monitor and perhaps should consider trying some of the video editors out that.

Shotcut is pretty decent if it can read your video files, and it's free.
http://shotcut.org/bin/view/Shotcut

Lightworks has a good free version as well. https://www.lwks.com/

Inexpensive and with a very decent amount of features is Sony Movie Studio.

And Adobe Premiere costs $20 a month at most. A trial is available as well. It can read most things.

For all these video editors you can check out videos on Youtube and elsewhere to get an overview if this is a video editor for your needs.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:13 AM   #3
0x15e

I'll have a look at Shotcut.

I've spent some time with Lightworks but just can't get my head around the interface. The free version also has a lot of limitations that would cause unnecessary quality loss from transcoding (I need to work in MJPEG and it will only export a "youtube friendly" h.264 format).

The thing is, Reaper is just really good at this. The fact that it's based on VLC / ffmpeg makes it incredibly flexible for codecs and containers. Of course it also doesn't hurt that I've already paid for it.

I have thought of a way I could just drop a marker, take a screenshot, and move that to my other monitor to work around this. Perhaps I can think of a way to automate that using the Video Processor plugin and some JS.
0x15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:56 AM   #4
semiquaver

Also black magic resolve is now free and has awesome colouring in addition to a very nice editor
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote